Course Selection for Science/Education (sec) (1 Viewer)

blieu

HSC
I've been looking through the handbook and I'm still not sure what courses I should do. Do I choose the courses in the sample program or something? I am completely clueless and I need help. :(

Last edited:

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
Yes, sample program is a good place to start.

But if you want to do it better - you have to plan your degree. This may take several hours but it'll be worth it. All you need to do is to pick your majors and all that, and then pick the subjects you'll do. Get an Excel spreadsheet out and then 'map' your degree out - and then just take the courses. This is tough for you as a first year because you have to take heed to what prerequisites and everything, and this assumes nothing clashes but it's a good way to generally map out your degree.

So here's an old version of mine before I switched courses and minors and whatnot:

That's what you want, in the end.

So you have two options - follow the plan, or, if you're willing to put in more effort - map it out yourself.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
Okay so you're going to follow the sample plan - alright. To answer your question, yes. You just pick subjects within those categories - I agree the sample program isn't very specific at all but here's what I reckon it is:

This semester, you should then do as you said: Level 1 Biology, Chemistry and Maths - along with EDST1101. So you're a Biology major so this is something you'll follow to the letter.

So Biology subjects can be found here: http://www.handbook.unsw.edu.au/undergraduate/plans/2013/BIOSJ14076.html . Pick any of the Stage 1 Biology courses.

Chemistry is here: http://www.handbook.unsw.edu.au/undergraduate/plans/2013/CHEMA14076.html . So I'd suggest CHEM1011 for instance.

Maths is here: http://www.handbook.unsw.edu.au/undergraduate/plans/2013/MATHV14076.html .

Again it's not very clear but I think that's how it goes. Once you're at uni, or even tomorrow even, drop by at the Science Student Centre in the Robert Webster Building and they'll set this straight for you.

That's my interpretation of what it means, however.

blieu

HSC
Could I possibly mix it up between semester 1 and semester 2? Because for me to major in Biology, I need to complete stage 1 courses in year 1, correct? And some of the subjects are only available in semester 1.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
Yeah. So you have to look at when subjects are offered, and plan ahead somewhat.

And Stage 1 courses you have to complete before you can start Stage 2 courses - depending on prerequisites for what Stage 2 courses you want. So for instance, to do FINS2624, you must have done the first year courses FINS1612 and FINS1613 I believe.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)