• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Course Progression (1 Viewer)

minchi24556

HSC
N/A
hey all, im looking to do BA DipEd at Macq next yr but want to know where i can find the course progression for the subject? i.e. the units for sem1, sem2, sem3 etc

much appreciated!

p.s. secondary and primary preferred

X

xeuyrawp

bscienceboi said:
How are you supposed to navigate that thing without knowing what you're doing? :S

minchi24556 said:
hey all, im looking to do BA DipEd at Macq next yr but want to know where i can find the course progression for the subject? i.e. the units for sem1, sem2, sem3 etc

much appreciated!

p.s. secondary and primary preferred
Macquarie's very flexible, so it's probably best if you have a look at the guides here.

Have you considered coming to Open Day tomorrow (the 9th)?

minchi24556

HSC
N/A
i cant, im working... im thinking to apply through alternate entry and wondered if any non-award units available are also in the course. (so i can do some that are relevant!)

The prescribed units are: EDUC262 or EDUC264; TEP412 or (TEP414 and TEP416); One of TEP422, TEP424, TEP426, TEP428, TEP430, TEP432, TEP434, TEP493
So basically, those are the only required EDU/TEP units to get a DipEd? All the other units can be other EDU / TEP units that equal 24 credit points (2 years of study out of four), so i could do any other units for non-award as part of the four year bachelor of arts? plus Also wondering why macq only offers a Diploma of Education, not a degree...

and if you do a Psy DipEd, are you just as qualified to teach secondary/primary as someone with a BA DipEd?

I understand this is all stuff that i should really be asking tomorrow but its unlikely i'll make it so im wondering if anyone else with similar questions could ask for me, or if anyone on this board knows =) thanks!

haha sorry for all the edits!

Last edited:
X

xeuyrawp

minchi24556 said:
i cant, im working... im thinking to apply through alternate entry and wondered if any non-award units available are also in the course.
See here. You can do EDUC105 and EDUC106 - no idea what that actually means, though. EDUC105 and EDUC106 do look like necessary units for your DipEd, but please double check if they're both required! I can't find a good outline of the degree, I'm just going by the handbook.

Also wondering why macq only offers a Diploma of Education, not a degree...
A DipEd is a degree, and is sufficient for teaching. Macquarie does offer a BEd to graduates of another degree. No idea why Macquarie hasn't got a combined BA BEd, though.

and if you do a Psy DipEd, are you just as qualified to teach secondary/primary as someone with a BA DipEd?
A Psy DipEd? You mean a BA (Psych) DipEd? You are qualified to teach because of your DipEd, but I have no idea what you're qualified to teach with your BA (Psych).

Hope that helps.

Last edited by a moderator:

Kegs

HSC
I think the BA bit lets you do anything as your major, which you are then able to teach. My friend is doing BA DipEd and she is training to be a maths teacher for high school. She takes all the maths units for a maths degree, and does the EDUC/TEP units on the side, like a double degree. Not sure if this helps, but maybe it will clear something up. What is it that you want to teach?

burkeyyy

HSC
It really depends if you want to do primary or secondary.

Compulsory units for primary:
EDUC105, EDUC106, EDUC262 or EDUC264, EDUC260, TEP246, EDUC258, TEP290, TEP291, TEP492, TEP414, TEP493, TEP416.
On top of these units, you must complete EITHER one year's study (2units) in four areas (either maths, science and technology, english, HSIE, languages/psych); OR two year's study (4units) in one area and one year's study in two other areas (of the above areas I've listed).

Compulsory units for secondary:
EDUC105, EDUC106, EDUC262 or EDUC264, TEP246, TEP282, TEP283, TEP414, TEP416.
And from there, it depends on which subjects you wish to teach. A teaching major consists of at least 26 credit points, including 12 credit points at 300-level in the school-based subject you wish to teach. They encourage you to have one major teaching area (e.g. English) as well as a minor (e.g. Drama).

I'm not quite sure why Macq only offers a Diploma of Education, but it does not differ from a degree in education in terms of gaining employment. Also with the BA-Psych/DipEd, it's a 5yr course that will allow you to become a school counsellor, but only after completing an extra 6th year at a different uni (because Macq conveniently doesn't offer the school counselling course). But if you don't wish to become a school counsellor, you will still have a Psychology degree and a Diploma of education.

If you can't make it to the Open Day, you can go up to the School of Education office anytime, in C3A on the 8th floor, and ask for a primary and secondary teacher education program student guide - it has everything you need to know.

Good luck! :)

minchi24556

HSC
N/A
well, i was thinking of doing education with lote, english minor but im not sure if i will get in... i think i can get into the Bsc DipEd course though. perhaps i can do that for a semester than transfer up? it still has the same requirements in terms of EDU and TEP units it seems

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)