course outline... (1 Viewer)

clerisy

HSC
I am very unimpressed with the progress we are making in class, and am also suspicious of my teachers knowledge and understanding of the course... thus, I am preparing for a long summer holidays of self-teaching.

So, at the risk of looking like an absolute moron, I was just wondering if anyone could tell me what we are actually supposed to be DOING in the source section of the course-- are using only the historians supplied in the BOS source booklet or should we find extras, how many historians should we know in detail, is it preferred to look at the individual historians' perspectives or to look at it in context with others of their time, etc...

Am very confused, irritated and concerned.

Thanking in advance...

MiuMiu

Somethin' special....
HSC
You don't have to stick to the BOS sources (our teacher gave us like a million other articles collected over the years), but those sources cover the different schools of historiography that you will study.

Set out your study like this:

Different Schools + Historians + Sources
Differences between schools
Background of the schools (when did they emerge etc)

I sent my notes into BOS, they should be up soon, if they aren't up in the next month I'll send them to you.

Generator

HSC
N/A
The most important thing is to understand each idea that you (or your teacher) find/s relevant and why it is/was used as the base for a historian's work.

Last edited:

tink 18

As Ms 12 said you don't have to stick to the source booklet.

I think, in regards to your question of how many historians you should know in detail, you should have a pair of historians on the many different aspects and parts of historiography. It might sound like alot but unless you have ESP and can tell what your HSC question is going to be or you plan on writting a pre-written essay (which isn't advisable) you wont know what historians you will have to use or refer to in your answer, so it is best to know about a fair few historians than just a couple and getting struck with no relevant historians for that question in particular.

Originally posted by clerisy

is it preferred to look at the individual historians' perspectives or to look at it in context with others of their time, etc...

I think that you should actually know both. You (in my opinion) should learn about a historian of a particular time and their perspectives and personal context and also the other historians of the time and the differences in the two interpretations
e.g. Ranke V Gibbon or Marx
Thucydides V Herodotos or Polibius
Carr V Elton

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)