Course Marks (1 Viewer)

timmii

sporadic attendee
Well done Minai, great marks! :D

This forum is going to be saturated with comm/law-ers soon! Bit of a shame considering the degree is meant to denote a complete erosion of any personality :p

What's required to transfer to law?
What would be needed to transfer from fee-paying to hecs?

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
lol, thanks timmii =)

yeah Laz told me in a previous thread that with my UAI, and the current cutoffs for Law, I'd need to get a better than Distinction average basically...distinction average is a GPA of 6, and im sitting on 6.25 right now...so I'm a chance I guess

maniacguy

At UNSW I think they'd put more emphasis on WAM than on GPA because you're doing UNSW subjects so they've got a reasonable idea of the difficulty already (I have to say I think WAM is fairer and more logical too).

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
Minai - as an update, if you do as well or better next semester, I think you'll be guaranteed a place at UNSW.

maniacguy - as nice as it would be, UAC still processes the applications, and they only use the GPA.

maniacguy

bloody UAC :rolleyes:

Either way, you would almost certainly get into Comm/Law with results like those (the question though is whether you want to or not)

sherman

hi, guys,
my results are as follow...

ELEC2031 (circuit and system) - 90 (HD)
PHYS2939 (Physics II) - 88 (HD)
COMP1021 (Computing 1B) - 85 (HD)
MATH2011 (Several Variables Calcalus) - 83 (DN)
GENC7003 (Managing Your Business) - 73 (CR)

WAM = 83.875

cheers,
Sherman

wogboy

Terminator
HSC
Hey sherman, are you an EE student?

[Edit] Just saw your other thread "Would like to learn Japanese" saying you're a 2nd year EE student. I'm doing 1st year EE :)

Last edited:

timmii

sporadic attendee
hehe, i know more non-law ppl who go to unsw drinks, than law ppl :p

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
Originally posted by Ultimate
How come at Usyd you don't get a WAM or GPA when you receive your results?
well it seems they aren't dyanamically efficient :p
haven't got with the times

*jokes*

either way, its easy enough to calculate your own WAM and GPA

timmii

sporadic attendee
I'm sure this has probably been said before...but how? I mean, whats the difference between GPA and WAM?

Are they done using exam or course marks, because our lovely old fashioned *grrr* uni has yet to release overall marks (i don't think...)? :)

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
The marks you receive via USYDnet are overall marks, timmii. :)

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
Originally posted by timmii
I'm sure this has probably been said before...but how? I mean, whats the difference between GPA and WAM?
Well, GPA is a grade point average, and the WAM is a weighted average mark...the WAM is an average of your Course Marks, and the GPA is an average of your course grades

GPA is calculated by multiplying your CP value of the subject by the grade value u got (HD=7, D=6, C=5, P=4) and adding each of these results with ur other subjects, then dividing this total by the total CP value (ie 24 for 1 semester)

wogboy

Terminator
HSC
GPA is calculated by multiplying your CP value of the subject by the grade value u got (HD=7, D=6, C=5, P=4) and adding each of these results with ur other subjects, then dividing this total by the total CP value (ie 24 for 1 semester)
This is what puzzles me about the GPA system, some unis like Uni of Canberra using that system above, while others like Macquarie uni use the following system: HD=4, D=3, C=2, P=1

:confused:

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
Macquarie is 'special'. ;) UAC uses the system that Minai described.

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A
The MQ system is hilarious... I mean our GPA system is as follows:

4: D or Hd
3: Cr
2: P
1: Cp?
0: F

Anyway, Ds and Hds are equivalent... so there isn't as much incentive to work an extra 10 hours a week for those few extra marks. :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)