Course Marks (1 Viewer)

orangeguy

HSC
N/A
wel the mq gpa system is only usefuly if we want to internally transfer..otherwise..its rubbish..

External transfer still requires the UAC gpa system..

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
its just the UAC ur familliar with
they use that GPA system for transfers

anti

aww.. baby raccoon ^^
HSC
uac is the university(ies?) admission centre.

they calculate your oooaaayyyaiiiii.

SoFTuaRiaL

ok, a lil late to tell u ppl my marks ... but i havent been online in some time
comp1011 - hd
math1131 - cr
infs1603 - cr
math1081 - ps :rolleyes:
wam : 73.5 .. so not too bad ...

pri

HSC
N/A
is maths really hard in uni? is it better or worse than high school?

wogboy

Terminator
HSC
Well if you do Maths 1A (MATH1131) as required by most (if not all) eng courses, it's roughly equivalent to 4U HSC maths (maybe 3U at it's very easiest). Of course it has quite a bit of extra stuff (e.g. vectors, matrices, more intensive calculus), but these aren't too hard to pick up provided you study & revise regularly (not cram too much).

If you choose to do Higher Maths 1A (MATH1141), you learn a little more topics than MATH1131 students learn, but in the main difference in Higher Maths is that the questions in the exams are harder & more challenging (the exam consists of 4 questions in common with MATH1131, and 2 extension questions). To do Higher maths, you must have done 4U maths, and have a HSC mark of about 80+. Because Higher Maths is quite alot harder, it gets scaled so that Higher maths students aren't disadvantaged (sort of like 4U maths at high school).

Discrete maths (which you will do if you choose elec/telecom/software/comp eng or comp sci) is commonly seen as the hardest first year subject by most students, with good reason too. While some of it may be similar to high school maths/sdd (e.g. induction, probability, logic, algorithms etc), alot of it is new stuff which can be quite obscure & abstract at times, and difficult to understand. I personally think it's harder than MATH1141. Like any subject, constant study & revision is the only way to get a good mark.

And of course there are other levels of maths like General Maths, and Maths for Life Sciences, which are easier than MATH1131/1141, which is all some courses like biological sciences require.

Have a look on the UNSW maths website, it's got plenty of good info:

www.maths.unsw.edu.au

What are you interested in doing at uni pri?

[Edit] Also forgot to mention that in MATH1131 & MATH1141 you learn how to use Maple (a computer program) to solve mathematical problems for you. You also have to do an assesible Maple test to see how proficient you are in using it.

Last edited:

jessika

law chicky
HSC
Originally posted by wogboy
Discrete maths (which you will do if you choose elec/telecom/software/comp eng or comp sci) is commonly seen as the hardest first year subject by most students, with good reason too.
discrete maths is hard?? :confused: hmmm, I was teaching my friend stuff in that course and I dont even do it...I did the other math one which was apparently a lot harder

edit: hmm....I think maybe Im just better at other peoples classes and crap at my own classes

pri

HSC
N/A
oooh

MATH1000 Modelling Real-World Phenomena

looks interesting....I might do that

Last edited:

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
No. They revise any 4u material you need to know, it's not very hard to catch up.

anti

aww.. baby raccoon ^^
HSC
Discrete is hell fun, I advise you to do it if you enjoy maths and are interested in it.

Discrete maths is also more applicable to real world problems than normal or higher maths is (1131/1141). Elec engineers do a different version of discrete to everybody else (I don't know if wogboy mentioned this.. i didn't read all of his post) which has a few less topics (it's 3UOC rather than 6).

I seriously enjoyed it, and I'd be doing Finite maths this session if I wasn't a lazy bludger who doesn't like the concept of overloading.

McLake

The Perfect Nerd
HSC
Originally posted by anti
I seriously enjoyed it, and I'd be doing Finite maths this session if I wasn't a lazy bludger who doesn't like the concept of overloading.
And you would enjoy that too. I'm doing Finite this session and it follows from Discrete in ideas and in level of enjoyment ...

pri

HSC
N/A
discrete maths eh....I might look into that,is it hard to grasp?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)