Country students (1 Viewer)

Ultimate

Unknown
HSC
Just wondering, do country students have an advantage over city students when it comes to accommodation at sydney university colleges considering that I'm from Coffs Harbour.

Ultimate

Unknown
HSC
Coffs Harbour is about 6 hours drive from Sydney. It is a semi - city centre, not country as in Moree, but still it is a significant distance from Sydney so I think I'm entitled to some kind of advantage over city students in that respect.

Ezmay

Rural students deffinetly get an advantage.

The principal at Wesley told me that if it comes down to you and someone else who are equal in everyway. They will offer the place to the person who needs it most, ie the one who lives furtherest away or who doesn't have any relos in sydney

Jerry Springer

I agree ulitimo, I never said you wouldn't be disadvantaged. I just don't consider Coffs Harbour under the heading 'rural Australia'. It's just a coastal city to me
hope you get in..................have you had your interviews yet?

terminator

I don't think rural students get an advantage over city students, because there is no shortage in supply. The only courses in syd that i've noticed that give preference to rural students is resource economics, pharmacology, and a few other relatively obscure courses.

Jin-17

yeah country kids have the advantage but u should remember in that they live so far away, besides, there are many accodations around anyways, so its really no big deal, excpet u may have to find roomates and stuff.

Ezmay

I think that rural students should have preference to get into college despite the amount of accomodation that is around. How hard do you think it is going to be to find room mates when you live 6 hrs away? And just remember you have to live with these people, you have to trust them and get along with them to some extent. Knowing my luck I'd end up with a group of queer people who steal stuff - (I don't mean to offend anyone, although if you are the stealing type you deserve it)

Thank god I have already been accepted.

Ultimate

Unknown
HSC
Jerry, I haven't had any interviews yet at Sydney university, planning to attend them early December. Just a question to consider. At Wesley or St. Andrews College, is everyone offered an interview after submitting an application? Also, do the colleges's conduct interviews on Saturdays?

Jerry Springer

Ultimo, yes they are pretty well expected to give everyone that applies (basically who pays the fee) an interview as that's just fair. Don't worry cause they didn't contact me for ages after I sent in my application forms; my friend was already in at andrews and i was getting really worried! i probly still won't get in cause they've probly done all of the choosing but we can only try!
I don't know if they do interviews on saturdays

Ultimate

Unknown
HSC
I hope all the places aren't filled. I really want to find accommodation at a college! I hear that they don't conduct interviews from mid-december onwards. They reopen in january.

But you have to remember jerry that all those people who have been accepted aren't necessarily going to go to sydney uni if they don't get the correct UAI. So there will be some drop outs

jessika

law chicky
HSC
Originally posted by Ultimate

But you have to remember jerry that all those people who have been accepted aren't necessarily going to go to sydney uni if they don't get the correct UAI. So there will be some drop outs

lotsa drop outs hopefully, and that way I'll have a chance of getting in.

jessika

law chicky
HSC
hmm maybe I should help those people along with dropping out *weird sadistic smile on face*

jessika

law chicky
HSC
lots! basically I really want a place at USYD or UNSW, but hell Ill settle for going to UTS or UOW or macquarie or any uni in the sydney area for that matter.

Ultimate

Unknown
HSC
Same I've applied to macquarie, Sydney, and UNSW. Hopefully I don't need to go to Macquarie and can get into Sydney and UNSW

ballerinabarbie

bundy for me
HSC
i would imagine it would all be the same 3 years later...

at UNE country students can apply through SRAS (no idea what it stands for) but basically you get into uni before you get your results, based on a report from the school (ie. i know a lot of people who got about 10 less in their UAI than what the course required through UAC)
there are heaps of people at UNE who got into uni this way (i'd say at least 50%)

starbaaa

Untalkative Member
HSC
I applaud any university with incentives for country students.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)