Could the internet in general be a university institution itself? (1 Viewer)

Iamscrewed

HSC
I mean, think about all the top universities out there like USYD and UNSW...but if you think about it, many uni's rely on computers and the internet for resources and teaching. Sure, they have all the old books in the library - but they also have computers and the net as well..but what if the old books are mostly all actually uploaded on the internet..then what would be the point of going to a top university in the first place? What would be the point of trying to get a top UAI to try and get in there when all you need is the net and a comp?

ALSO, the fact that I heard some of the un-elite and non-prestigious uni's anyways have the actual resources from ALL the other uni's (Inluding the good ones or top ones) IN THEIR ACTUAL LIBRARIES on a computer or online..and SINCE THIS IS THE CASE...would there be any point of trying to get into a great top uni if you have all the resources (THE SAME ONES AS WELL)...ALREADYY?!

DTFM

HSC
I mean, think about all the top universities out there like USYD and UNSW...but if you think about it, many uni's rely on computers and the internet for resources and teaching. Sure, they have all the old books in the library - but they also have computers and the net as well..but what if the old books are mostly all actually uploaded on the internet..then what would be the point of going to a top university in the first place? What would be the point of trying to get a top UAI to try and get in there when all you need is the net and a comp?
To get a degree so people will employ you. You are unlikely to get a job if under the Education heading on your resume is "well I don't have any qualifications, but I spend a lot of time on the Internet, and that is kind of the same as having a degree."

ALSO, the fact that I heard some of the un-elite and non-prestigious uni's anyways have the actual resources from ALL the other uni's (Inluding the good ones or top ones) IN THEIR ACTUAL LIBRARIES on a computer or online..and SINCE THIS IS THE CASE...would there be any point of trying to get into a great top uni if you have all the resources (THE SAME ONES AS WELL)...ALREADYY?!
Prestige is a factor in gaining employment in certain industries, and people like to boast about going to a prestigious school.

Graney

Horse liberty
HSC
People don't just go to uni for the resources.

You can't teach yourself a broad, proper, rigorous, tertiary level education.

Iamscrewed

HSC
To get a degree so people will employ you. You are unlikely to get a job if under the Education heading on your resume is "well I don't have any qualifications, but I spend a lot of time on the Internet, and that is kind of the same as having a degree."

Prestige is a factor in gaining employment in certain industries, and people like to boast about going to a prestigious school.
Oh yeah, I knew that already I just forgotten..haha.

But then I was sort of meaning to say as well.. you can go to a pretty good uni (But not the very very prestigious ones or good ones) and still have the same resources and stuff..Right?! lol

ALSO..you can still get your degree..haha

Last edited:

Iamscrewed

HSC
People don't just go to uni for the resources.

You can't teach yourself a broad, proper, rigorous, tertiary level education.
But then most of the people there spend most of the time on the literature and the materials provided there as opposed to playing sports or developing friendships with their boyfriends or girl

Iamscrewed

HSC
But then most of the people there spend most of the time on the literature and the materials provided there as opposed to playing sports or developing friendships with their boyfriends or girl
Oh yeah and also you can teach yourself, I thought uni was about independance..and the most basic of education can be built more from just a final year of school certificate..I mean if someone can do good in 4 unit maths/english..you can do any degree you wish...by yourself!

witide

HSC
Do it then. Go get your online degree and we'll see what happens when both of us turn up applying for the same job.

Graney

Horse liberty
HSC
A university education shows you're able to follow through with an extensive, structured, long-term project. Demonstrates intelligence, willpower, dedication, maturity etc...

Also the structured, measured, tested nature of a university education means you gain a far more rigorous education than most people would be capable of achieving if they tried to tutor themselves in the field alone.

Also the accredited, recognized standard of a university education, provides employers with proof that you have achieved a certain standard. I may be a master mathematician, but without university qualifications it would be hard for an employer to verify this. That's why universities run 'recognition of prior learning' schemes and such. My mum was a nurse for twenty years before getting a bachelors degree (it was a tafe qualification many years ago), she probably didn't learn a great deal practically from her degree, but the paper proves she is of a decent standard to her employer.

Iamscrewed

HSC
Yeah but you missed what I've been trying to mean to say (I just haven't said it in my first posts because I forgot to mention it)..but you can go to a decent but bodgy university (with all the resources from all the other uni's) and still get your degree with the same amount of knowledge as someone who just came out of a prestigious uni

Oh yeah, I knew that already I just forgotten..haha.

But then I was sort of meaning to say as well.. you can go to a pretty good uni (But not the very very prestigious ones or good ones) and still have the same resources and stuff..Right?! lol

ALSO..you can still get your degree..haha

Graney

Horse liberty
HSC
Yes.

Some courses at some non-GO8 uni's, are better run and taught than the same courses at some GO8 uni's.

Shock

wrong_turn

the chosen one
HSC
Uni Grad
in first year most of the courses that are run are core units for a degree. in which case, they are quite general and may be taught in pretty much the same way. nevertheless, lecturers tend to structure their classes (course/lectures) based on the textbook and also their own research.

academics are actually researching the material they are teaching as opposed to the internet updating when the academic bothers to record their results in a journal
Lecturers are actually there for reasearch. shock horror! academics amongst doing their research are made to give lectures and teach a course. most of the higher level courses are based on what academics are available. e.g. behavioural finance course is taught by an academic who is doing resarch on the behaviour of shareholders with a change in market structure of a industry/ies.
therefore just the internet alone will not allow you to encapsulate the acquired education that is given at a university or prestigious uni (it makes sense that a great uni will attract great or more knowledgable academics).

threshold/standard:
the uni a student attends puts them into competition or awareness of the standard with that of his/her peers. if you attend with the best, you know what to expect from the best when you enter the workforce.
i.e. the mark achieved at a harder to get into uni will most likely be of greater weighting than the same mark achieved from a easier to get into uni from a similar course.

more available resources
resources are easier to access when you are at a uni. this may be the physical reference areas which are available or even the electronic access to a greater range of journals (almost all credible journals are paid access).

Oxbridge

HSC
N/A
A university education shows you're able to follow through with an extensive, structured, long-term project. Demonstrates intelligence, willpower, dedication, maturity etc...

Also the structured, measured, tested nature of a university education means you gain a far more rigorous education than most people would be capable of achieving if they tried to tutor themselves in the field alone.

Also the accredited, recognized standard of a university education, provides employers with proof that you have achieved a certain standard. I may be a master mathematician, but without university qualifications it would be hard for an employer to verify this. That's why universities run 'recognition of prior learning' schemes and such. My mum was a nurse for twenty years before getting a bachelors degree (it was a tafe qualification many years ago), she probably didn't learn a great deal practically from her degree, but the paper proves she is of a decent standard to her employer.

Completely agree with you on that one Granny, also with Witide.
That 'piece of paper (parchment)' proves exactly that, going to a world renouned university can only be beneficial, as for online degrees they are not worth the paper/parchment they are printed on!
Unis out of the group of 8 are not necessarily bad, but the Group of 8 are in there for a reason, that they offer the highest quality education in the country, this is recognised by other universities across the country and around the world. Also, just think of what other unveristies would be aligned with these Group of 8 universities overseas (great for if you want to go on exchange).:D

Templar

P vs NP
HSC
Despite what people might think, the primary purpose of universities is to research, which has already been covered here.

spence

HSC
Completely agree with you on that one Granny, also with Witide.
That 'piece of paper (parchment)' proves exactly that, going to a world renouned university can only be beneficial, as for online degrees they are not worth the paper/parchment they are printed on!
Unis out of the group of 8 are not necessarily bad, but the Group of 8 are in there for a reason, that they offer the highest quality education in the country, this is recognised by other universities across the country and around the world. Also, just think of what other unveristies would be aligned with these Group of 8 universities overseas (great for if you want to go on exchange).:D
They don't necessarily offer the highest quality education, they're just the most research intensive.

Iamscrewed

HSC
I guess people are right in here..but this is actually thinking outside..the square you live in....lol :shoot:

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
I guess people are right in here..but this is actually thinking outside..the square you live in....lol :shoot:
Not really, you're just proposing something that's really stupid.

wrong_turn

the chosen one
HSC
Uni Grad
Or you are making stupid suggestions in regards why you didn't try harder to get into a "good" uni (based on your other posts on this forum).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)