Cotton On! Got an interview (1 Viewer)

Kyuss333

HSC
Hey, I'm up for an interview tomorrow... The only thing I was really curious about was if I should come to the interview in Cotton on clothes or actually come in good clothes :p... Also... For anyone who actually got the job... If they could give any helpful tips about what to say and how to present yourself.

Thanks. David

modjo

HSC
N/A
I actually got called for an induction ! I thought i did terrible at last weeks interview. The exercise where we all had to "sell" our partner was *painful).

Anyway if I ive been called for the induction, does that mean Ive got the job for sure?
Can someone here tell me what happens at the induction?

And how much does Cotton on pay?

xxPanDa

HSC
alycisbored said:
So I am really unhappy with the lack of communication from cotton on. Out of the 3 girls that went to the interview(That i knew, 15 overall) only one got a call back, saying she was rejected. Me and another girl are yet to recieve communication, this is so frustrating and rude. We were told a phone call would be made regardless, although I just got another interview with The Body Shop so im not to mad.
did u ever get the phone call?

its been more than 7 days now since my interview...
it sux cause i want to apply for other jobs too, and i dunno my availabilty

blue_chameleon

Shake the sauce bottle yo
HSC
I went for the group interview today, pretty sure of getting a Christmas Casual position, because I listed about 4 stores, and have got a fair bit of experience behind me.

Anyway, to those who have casual positions there already, or who have had Christmas casual for Cotton On over Xmas period before, how many hours did you guys get (roughly)?

I know everyone will probably be different, but just looking for a ball park figure. 10 - 15 hours? 20 + hours?

^CoSMic DoRiS^^

makes the woosh noises
HSC
well i havent even been called for my first shift like we were all assured at the induction that we would be, and i can't find the contact number for the store ANYWHERE and really don't feel like travelling 45mins to my store to check up on it when it's their responsibility since they were the ones who told me i'd be called. at this rate, they can get fucked if they think i'm going to go and buy their crappy clothes to wear to work when they can't even get their act together about actually employing me. I've applied for about 4 other jobs this week and if any of them hire me i'll be telling cotton on to shove it, because i think they've just basically been really rude, and that's not cool.

/rant.

blue_chameleon

HSC
^CoSMic DoRiS^^ said:
well i havent even been called for my first shift like we were all assured at the induction that we would be, and i can't find the contact number for the store ANYWHERE and really don't feel like travelling 45mins to my store to check up on it when it's their responsibility since they were the ones who told me i'd be called. at this rate, they can get fucked if they think i'm going to go and buy their crappy clothes to wear to work when they can't even get their act together about actually employing me. I've applied for about 4 other jobs this week and if any of them hire me i'll be telling cotton on to shove it, because i think they've just basically been really rude, and that's not cool.

/rant.
Yeah I understand your frustration at not knowing when you start. I am going through the same thing. I spoke with the lady that did our group interview and she said they were opening new stores constantly in the lead up to Christmas, hence that she wasnt sure when or who would contact us, just that we would be regardless of if we got the position or not.

So it seems to me that they are pretty hectic atm, they opened a store in my suburb, and in the suburb that I went for the group interview (10 mins away). So id say that rightly or wrongly, thats what has their attention so they can get the Xmas business, not us...yet.

Im in a similar position with applying for other jobs. I know that Cotton On need me for about a week either side of Xmas day, but other than that im assuming things. Which is frustrating.

Last edited:

xxPanDa

HSC
blue_chameleon said:
...regardless of if we got the position or not...
ive been wait for like 2 weeks now..
they say they have a "policy" that will reply us within 7 days

do you guys have their number so i can ring them?
u can pm me

blue_chameleon

HSC
xxPanDa said:
ive been wait for like 2 weeks now..
they say they have a "policy" that will reply us within 7 days

do you guys have their number so i can ring them?
u can pm me
Each region has different people involved in recruitment, so there is no one person I could suggest you contact. If you went to the group interview, you should have received a call from someone before the interview. Best bet is to call them and ask for an update on progress.

If you applied for Christmas Casual positions, the dates they employ you from (ie. you need to be available from), were set out on the application form you would have received when you went for the group interview. The important dates were coloured in black. Off the top of my head, I think they were around the 15th of December through to the 8th of January (something in that region, a week either side of Xmas day etc).

They still have around 2 weeks until they need people for Xmas. If they told you they would contact you within the week, thats their fault for making such a promise. But just use common sense guys, dont stress out!

Apply for other jobs, and if you're successful with them before you hear back from Cotton On, then go with you offer from the other job. Eitherway, there's no need to stress out about it. If you are Xmas casual, chances are they will need you for 2 weeks roughly, so for most people this will only be a temporary position.

Just apply to other places in the meantime (with full availability), thats all I can suggest.

Che08

HSC
I went to one of those group interviews out at chatswood a while ago. I was really unhappy with the way they treated us, like sheep or something you know? heard us in ask us questions but not really listen to the answers.
I dont know - i just dont perform well in a group. solo or a few people in the interview is the only way for me to get a job.

Seejay

HSC
personally, i worked for cotton on around christmas time last year and they were pretty bad employers..i went through all the interview notions and got the job at the castle hill store, but they didnt even call me for weeks afterwards after i tried callin them, and then suddenly one day they called me sayin culd i work today, tomorow, the day after lol...so i did cos i neededdd money lol. it was only for a few hours at a time and considering it aint that easy for me to get to castle hill it was a pretty useless job.
i just think around christmas time they hire way too many employees for no reason (it aint like business is boosted HEAPS around christmas) when half of them they dont even get used..pretty stupid if u ask me, especially since at times there was so many of us working in the store and half just standing around doing nuthin
so yehn needless to say i dont work there anymore :D haha

^CoSMic DoRiS^^

makes the woosh noises
HSC
Seejay said:
personally, i worked for cotton on around christmas time last year and they were pretty bad employers..i went through all the interview notions and got the job at the castle hill store, but they didnt even call me for weeks afterwards after i tried callin them, and then suddenly one day they called me sayin culd i work today, tomorow, the day after lol...so i did cos i neededdd money lol. it was only for a few hours at a time and considering it aint that easy for me to get to castle hill it was a pretty useless job.
i just think around christmas time they hire way too many employees for no reason (it aint like business is boosted HEAPS around christmas) when half of them they dont even get used..pretty stupid if u ask me, especially since at times there was so many of us working in the store and half just standing around doing nuthin
so yehn needless to say i dont work there anymore :D haha
yeah that's what i'm starting to think is happening to me (and others) as well. they better give me more than a morning's notice when they do call, coz getting to my store by public transport is a bit of a bitch and i dont want to have to turn down an offered shift because they called just after the last morning bus left or something.

blue_chameleon

HSC
^CoSMic DoRiS^^ said:
yeah that's what i'm starting to think is happening to me (and others) as well. they better give me more than a morning's notice when they do call, coz getting to my store by public transport is a bit of a bitch and i dont want to have to turn down an offered shift because they called just after the last morning bus left or something.
I get what you mean about the lack of organisation hey. Today I missed a call from someone from cotton on recruitment, so I rang back and gave my name etc told her I was returning her call, and she totally forgot who I was (after ringing me 10 minutes previous). Anyway, she offered me an interview (which I have already taken) and when I told her this she asked if I was sure it was for Cotton On etc (stupid!) and then realised she had made a mistake and simply told me that I should know the outcome of my application soon.

15 minutes later, I took a call from the regional manager's assistant who told me I got the job, and come in for induction tomorrow.

I must say though, when I was making my way home, I thought id duck into the store I applied for, and surprise surprise there was the girl (regional manager) that had just called me and told me I was successful. Got talking to her, and she showed me the pile of applicants she still had to call (and this was at 4pm). So yeah, that changed my opinion of her work ethic or lack of.

How many people here are looking for work post-christmas?

Seejay

HSC
^CoSMic DoRiS^^ said:
Nah, they will probably give you at least a day notice if they do call u lol...but u neva know...the bad thing is, i think if u knock bad shifts, they get reluctant to call u again and they establish certain ppl as favourites who work alot and there are too many casuals, half of which probly only work a day in the whole christmas period. Although they sell good clothes, They are really an unorganised company lol
i remember workin last year and during a shift one of the supervising ladies told me off for talking to a customer too long, yellin at me saying 'is that ur girlfrend!'... it was funny, but i was just giving good customer service haha at least she ended up buying heaps of things :p
oh and btw to those wonderin about pay, theyl prolli pay around 13/14 an hour...i cant remember how much exactly.

HSC
Seejay said:
the bad thing is, i think if u knock bad shifts, they get reluctant to call u again and they establish certain ppl as favourites who work alot and there are too many casuals, half of which probly only work a day in the whole christmas period .
lol this reminds me of my work. our phone book is colour coded with one colour for staff that will work any shift, any time with little notice, another that will work if the shift is during their scheduled availability or has enough notice, and the final colour is for those that work their scheduled shifts and thats it. through this system, apparently, those who are flexible are "rewarded" with more hours. But when i first saw it all i could think of is "OMG they're exploiting us".

BTW, I don't actually work for cotton on, so dont get too alarmed.

Seejay

HSC
babikakez said:
lol this reminds me of my work. our phone book is colour coded with one colour for staff that will work any shift, any time with little notice, another that will work if the shift is during their scheduled availability or has enough notice, and the final colour is for those that work their scheduled shifts and thats it. through this system, apparently, those who are flexible are "rewarded" with more hours. But when i first saw it all i could think of is "OMG they're exploiting us".

BTW, I don't actually work for cotton on, so dont get too alarmed.
lol who do u work for?

HSC
i'm going for an interview with cotton on next monday...looks like it's pretty bad to work at :( but i need more experience and cash.

what do you usually wear to the group interview at cotton on? jeans ok? what about shoes?

wendus

krawr.
HSC
whooo cotton on, the store for bisexual individuals.

i wouldn't worry too much about dress. jeans would be fine. wear whatever is comfy :)

fantasy27

HSC
N/A
yea just casuals, last yr when i went everyone was just wearing skinny jeans and ballerina flats; they tell you to wear what you think you'll be wearing if you're working at Cotton On

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)