Costumes (1 Viewer)

Nightsarah

HSC
So what is the general view on costumes for the IP?
I've watched some of the footage of past IP performances in my school and most of them wear their blacks; even the higher quality ones. Although I have seen some decent ones (like a white shirt and pants for a guy) and have only really ever seen extravagent ones on onstage, but they could have just added them later I suppose.

What have your teachers been saying about costumes? What have you observed? What are your thoughts? What have you planned?

Is it best to go with minimal (blacks) , intermediate (simple clothing, one item that define the character, etc) or all out (like the main in onstage 09)?

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
It depends on what your piece is really.

If your doing hihgly symbolic stuff, then all blacks are a good way to go. Or black pants and a coloured top, or something along those lines.

For GP's which are very realist, casual clothing is a good starting point for costumes.

I'm not a big fan of extravagant costumes. Only if they really define the character (which should be done through acting, rather than costume) or are in someway symbolic, should they be used.

Or at least that'd be my guidelines...

britt16

HSC
it really depends on what your piece is about, my sister got to onstage (her hsc was 01 and was onstage 02) and she had very minimalistic costume - black skirt, shirt and a shawl. Her set was very minimalistic as well, just one chair. I find that sometimes with the more powerful pieces having too much of an extravagant costume detracts from the impact of the performance.

metallic_bass

HSC
go black unless you need to tell the audience somthing you just cant say in your acting piece. like if your a fly it might be nessasary to wear a small set of wings.. but all black for everything your not needing to say

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)