Copper Tube/ Eddy Current Question (1 Viewer)

jeffwu95

Dumbass
HSC
If a magnet passes through the copper tube at a uniform rate would eddy currents still be formed because when a magnet falls through a copper tube normally, it accelerates so i was wondering does there have to be an acceleration or not? :)

edit:
follow up question: if u put slits the the copper tube, will the eddy currents be completely removed or just reduced

Last edited:

darkphoenix

HSC
If the magnet travels in a constant velocity, there will still be change of magnetic flux, as the copper cuts the magnetic field at different stages, hence eddy current will form. Yet if you accelerate it due to 9.8 gravity, then it means the rate of change in magnetic flux increase, hence a increase in eddy current. Hope it makes sense.

jeffwu95

Dumbass
HSC
follow up question: if u put slits the the copper tube, will the eddy currents be completely removed or just reduced

unLimitieDx

HSC
For HSC purposes i think the eddy currents are completely removed. Cause i remember doing a question: In which would the magnet fall faster in, a slitted copper tube or hard plastic and the answer said both at equal rates which is kinda stupid

jeffwu95

Dumbass
HSC
yea ive seen about two questions which said that when its slit the effect of eddy currents are gone whilst my teacher said the eddy current size will be minimised

unLimitieDx

HSC
Its logical that the eddy currents are reduced cause we're taught that the laminated iron cores for transformers reduce eddy currents and it'll only make sense if the slits in the tubes also reduce it but idk.
BOS stuff.

someth1ng

Retired Nov '14
HSC
Uni Grad
Actually, the Board of Studies wants something like "much smaller eddy currents are produced and hence, no electromagnetic braking will occur".

unLimitieDx

HSC
So pretty much so small that the eddy currents are negligible

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)