COOP SCHOLARSHIPS - 2008 - your thoughts (1 Viewer)

sami902

HSC
just curious about how did ppl go in their interviews for the coop scholarships.
to say my thoughts (i got one for industrial chemistry), i thought it was pretty alright.

how was business and other engineering ones??:)

thehootman

HSC
Well i was dissapointed as i was only shortlisted for UNSW engineering (electrical and mechanical) although i was offered one from UTS in mechanical/mechatronic. I dont know what to do really, take the 5 year scholarship from UTS or go with a non scholarship course from the supposedly better uni UNSW which is 4 years.

pks365

HSC
I got a ISM and BIT scholarship place so what do you guys think I should choose? And guys, can you do a double major when doing ISM coop program? I am interested in doing a double major in finance. I can't also decide between these courses over a normal course like BCom (actuarial studies and finance), what do you guys think I should do? Thnkx for ur help guys......

misdreavous

Counterbalance
HSC
pks365 said:
I got a ISM and BIT scholarship place so what do you guys think I should choose? And guys, can you do a double major when doing ISM coop program? I am interested in doing a double major in finance. I can't also decide between these courses over a normal course like BCom (actuarial studies and finance), what do you guys think I should do? Thnkx for ur help guys......
Congratulations!...If you like maths/programming go for BIT if you don't go for the ISM which is basically straight Comm.
Co-op is much better than non-co-op due to the industrial training you get...

sunny

meh.
HSC
BIT isn't really what you'd classify as maths and programming. Most of the BIT subjects are INFS.

pks365 said:
can you do a double major when doing ISM coop program
I think the general rule is you can't combine at all if you're on coop. I was comp sci though so you might want to check that.

misdreavous

Counterbalance
HSC
sunny said:
BIT isn't really what you'd classify as maths and programming. Most of the BIT subjects are INFS.

I think the general rule is you can't combine at all if you're on coop. I was comp sci though so you might want to check that.
It's true that BIT is not about hardcore programming, but the point here is that it was a comparison between BIT and ISM. BIT does do first year computing and can choose electives from COMP whereas ISM is purely a commerce degree.

Also most co-op commerce degress can be doubled-majored and ISM is one of them.

martyfartywarty

HSC
Probably the general rule is how technical you want it to be. I am a fourth year BIT, and I think the BIT and ISM program is becoming more and more similar. I myself was considering between Comp Sci and BIT at the beginning and choose BIT because I don't want to know too much of the nitty gritty of algorithms, but I do want to know how to code some of the cool stuff in computing.

BIT has electives that you can choose within computing, where as ISM has electives that you can choose within business. Both of them are heavy on INFS subject (doh) as the degree comes from that school.

In terms of how many electives, afaik ISM has more electives in comparison to BIT.

kinship

HSC
They havn't happened yet have they? I thought they started this week =S, ahh im not gonna get the base uai for the course buh i still have an interview =(, so i doubt ill get it, nevertheless ima go give the best interview i ever have lol, how about you guys?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)