Conversation - Different Values and Reasons (1 Viewer)

Killah33

Does this mean:

1) You MUST have someone who dislikes a work vs someone who likes it?

OR

2) You CAN have two people who value his work, but it distinct ways and for different reasons

I did Donne and used a New Criticist and New Historicist, both who liked his work (is this going against 'different values') but backed up by different focus of reasoning...

Thoughts please...Tell me how you did it!?

Coles Punk

i had one person who saw the play as very negative and existentialist and another who saw it as more hopefull at the end. but i really don't know that much about king lear since i was sick when we were studying it in class

sirhc

Different readings

The question was just asking about different readings of the play. You could choose any two reading to dicuss through the two people. eg. post-modernist and traditionalist.

kaseita

yours is fine. As long as you demonstrated a different point of view by each reader, even if they agree, then its fine.
I just had two people who didn't agree on the same way of viewing poetry in general, like a shallow person, against someone who values logic, and then expanded it to my different readings, like petrarchan, feminist, and literary critics.
I think it was easier to compare two who didn't think the same, but I'm sure yours is fine.

GlittaStar

i had an actor and director who were staging lear.
the actor favoured tate and feminist reading (winspeare)
director favoured original...more of a 'male' story, psychoanalytic reading, which i tied to brook.

eLmo

Stalker.
HSC
Donne.....
i did...the critisms of Johnson & Eliot... pretty obivous choice...one likes him the other doesn't....
i don't think what u did was wrong....hopefully u showed how these 2 ppl viewed his poetry differently...would have been easier to do 2 opposing views....but whatever works for u i guess

linny

Ok, I had two people talking about Donne's poetry, one said they liked it because of its relevence in many different contexts, the other said they liked because of the pure brilliance and what not of the poetry

It said "different ways and for different reasons" and mine and different reasons.. but im not sure about ways

I suppose I had them argueing cause one was quoting what other people have said and the other simply wanted to talk about donne

It seems to me like a pretty small discrepency, surely they'll be a little lenient

gaea

hmmm...

i did donne too, somewhat what killah did
i had one person who liked donne for his embracing of both rational and irrational aspects of the world (he was a scientist)
and another who like donne for his strong conveyance of relationships.

im a little worried cos i didn't discuss sun rising so much.
anyone else?

homeboyjoe

either one is valid because the question asked about two people of differening values of the text...it didnt necessarily have to be people that disagreed with each other, if one person showed a different perception of the text, then you are still answering the question.

In Need Of Help

I am quite sure you were meant to talk from the perspective different people understood the book, by this i mean that you had to create a discussion between and persion who viewed the novel from a spiritual perspective, post-colonial feminist or other perspective to which they're view can be justified. :p

Killah33

Im VERY surprised they specified a poem... but i only mentioned Sunne Rising briefly, and went on to speak more about some of his other works, like Batter My Heart.

What were the BOS thinking!?!

kaseita

wanted to scare next year's candidature to learn every single poem possible
I was waiting for them to specify a poem. Just didn't think they were going to specify the one I knew the most :p

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
for Donne..
I took one side as a really intelligent, complex view as his poetry demonstrating his greatness of use of language blah blah
and the other side as being shallow, not liking his arrogance, violence etc but acknowledging that he was a poet ahead of his time

im sure BOS will account for a variety of interpretations to that question....im kinda scared though..never done a conversation before..

BlackJack

Vertigo!
HSC
King Lear: opinion = (2)
I actually cast a background to the conversation, lit's the Shakespeare festival (or something) and Elliot's 1983 production was on show... the two guys liked the play itself, but not this particular production. They started on the topic and moved into other critics/interpretations that each liked and commented how other productions exemplify this viewpoint...

princess b*

i hate you john donne

farking john doone.....the bos are eeeevil. well, i just did 2 normal ppl with average names, nothing special about them. do u think that will matter? all they did was kinda discuss their views of his misogynistic views/ strange use of conceits etc. they both had diff opinions so do u think thats ok??
but bloody hell, how the fark do u start a conversation???? does it require some big intro or wat?? i didnt even know it was a text type. :chainsaw:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)