Continuing with honing writing skills (English Advance studies) on tertiary studies (1 Viewer)

Kingportable

HSC
Well i am doing a business course this year but i always enjoyed English Advanced at school despite narrowly missing Band 5 in it. Is it wrong to continue honing my writing skills in my tertiary studies by perhaps continuing on with things we did in the HSC (Story writing, essays and etc) or trying to extend and apply that. One of my dreams is to bring my interest in business and film together, some how, maybe through some thing i've coined "The Australian Warner Brothers" (or Universal Pictures), i know a now befallen studios tried to do the same thing in Europe failing only due to the action of the electronics company Phillips. Does anyone perhaps know of any support structure you can use to continue such development of skills.

I've read in to international writing competitions with some really nice financial rewards. I might even do a couple of things for the next round of English Advance kids if i get better i doubt my band 4 writings at this point will be helping anyone at the moment.

Last edited:

Kittikhun

HSC
Re: Continuing with honing writing skills (English Advance studies) on tertiary studi

I don't think writing short stories will help you much in business. I also don't think writing English with sophisticated language will help you much in business since those in business just want you to get to the point really, i.e., no BS language. So, I would say: stop with learning the things in Advanced English--you'll hardly use it in real life really.

If you want to brush up on your English skills, buy yourself an English grammar book and dictionary, and start reading good English, I'd say. I find that reading 'National Geographic' and 'Time' magazine articles a great way to improve English vocab, grammar, and just elegance in writing. 'National Geographic' articles are also super interesting, and the magazine smells nice, :).

Oh, and learning a second language other than English is also a fantastic way to master grammar.

Kat92

HSC
Re: Continuing with honing writing skills (English Advance studies) on tertiary studi

Well i am doing a business course this year but i always enjoyed English Advanced at school despite narrowly missing Band 5 in it. Is it wrong to continue honing my writing skills in my tertiary studies by perhaps continuing on with things we did in the HSC (Story writing, essays and etc) or trying to extend and apply that. One of my dreams is to bring my interest in business and film together, some how, maybe through some thing i've coined "The Australian Warner Brothers" (or Universal Pictures), i know a now befallen studios tried to do the same thing in Europe failing only due to the action of the electronics company Phillips. Does anyone perhaps know of any support structure you can use to continue such development of skills.

I've read in to international writing competitions with some really nice financial rewards. I might even do a couple of things for the next round of English Advance kids if i get better i doubt my band 4 writings at this point will be helping anyone at the moment.

If anything I would be looking for sites that show coherent ways of setting out business reports. Work through the modules and practice the techniques, so when it comes time to submit your first assignment you are ready!

Also if the Uni offers Bridging courses perhaps consider attending one of these until you feel comfortable with the new way of writing.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)