Continuers- Will I be at a disadvantage? (1 Viewer)

topdeck

HSC
Does anyone here do japanese continuers? I am in year 10 at the moment and am making my subject selections for next year...i really enjoy japanese although i have only been studying since the beginning of year 9. Some people in my class have been studying since they started primary school (they arn't japanese, they just went to sydney japanese school) anlthough my teacher tells me that regardless of this, we would all qualify for the continuers course. Will i be at a disadvantage for having only started in year 9? I feel like even those who have been studying since year 7 will be miles ahead of me.....like i say i really like japanese, but at the same time i want to be assured that will be able to get a good mark in the hsc....any advice would be appreciated.....

P

pLuvia

I started Japanese in year 9, I learnt japanese for 1 term in year 7, which wasn't very helpful. The things you learn in year 10 and below are basically the same each year, it's in year 11/12 where things start to get interesting. I'm currently topping my Japanese Extension class, and one of the people in my class learnt japanese since year 7. So no you won't be of any disadvantage.
If there are koreans in your class they might have an advantage because the japanese and korean language are quite similar

Last edited by a moderator:

Raikiri

HSC
You will be FINE. Just work hard and learn your stuff.

I'm currently topping my Japanese Extension class
Damn I wish my school had Japanese extension.

z600

Sigh.....
HSC
pLuvia said:
I started Japanese in year 9, I learnt japanese for 1 term in year 7, which wasn't very helpful. The things you learn in year 10 and below are basically the same each year, it's in year 11/12 where things start to get interesting. I'm currently topping my Japanese Extension class, and one of the people in my class learnt japanese since year 7. So no you won't be of any disadvantage.
If there are koreans in your class they might have an advantage because the japanese and korean language are quite similar
Isnt it chinese and japanese that is similar?

P

pLuvia

Korean and japanese are more so similar than chinese and japanese, chinese because you have the advantage of the amount of kanji, but some japanese words sound similar to the koreans words

abcd9146

HSC
but the somethimes knowing the chinese can annoying you... the characters can sometimes hold opposite meanings from japanese to chinese and you're like o_O

but its more useful to know chinese than not to know... but the kanji required by the BoS is pretty easy, so its not like it really matters...

oh, and i started japanese with 1-class-per-week in primary school (year 5), but you get re-taught everything in year 9 so it wont really matter (except it gets taught faster)

kouri

well w t f
HSC
i actually believe that the chinese and japanese language are much more similar to each other than korean and japanese. :)

well though korean and japanese both originated from chinese

whilst there are words that are spelt the same but mean something different, most of the time it's the same.

had a mate who was korean in my japanese class, whilst the rest of my friends were chinese. I think... yeh my chinese friends were doing better and found it easier than my korean friend.

same with myself. I'm chinese.

but wth, you're not even supposed to put any language together. Worst way to learn a language ;) people who are still struggling to have a normal conversation in japanese would be the ones who are constantly translating it on the spot. Think japanese!

only thing that helps with being chinese is so i dont have to learn how to write the kanja again i suppose heh

oh and i've never heard of ppl learning japanese since primary :O :O :O
normally its from year 9 haha

i was asked if i wanted to join the continueres class even though i started japanese in year 11, well see. in that case, you'd probably refuse unless you're real confident. O_O So in my case, i said screw them i wanna do beginners :)

bambilina

HSC
If you're going to be willing to do well and you put in 110% effort, it doesn't matter in the end whether or not you're going to be disadvantaged. I had a friend who started Japanese continuers AND extension in year 11, and she did very well in her HSC Japanese!!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)