• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Context (1 Viewer)

munkaii

HSC
I have a vague idea of films, short stories etc. when it comes from discussing or evaluating the context of a text..

How do you discover the context of a test. For example, take Remember the Titans..

would the context be the racism in america?

kami

An iron homily
HSC
N/A
Context is the circumstances in which an event occurs, the setting and often lends or changes the meaning of said event or statement. For example the context of Agatha Christie's novels is generally upper middle class society in between the wars. Another example would be that the context of King Lear was Elizabethan society and so forth.
What you are discussing with your example of racism, I think is more along the lines of social values.

zenger69

Bok Choyer
HSC
I thought context was about when the text (film/song/novel) came out and what was happening in society when the book came out.

Example would be Rabbit Proof Fence came out during the time Howard refused to say sorry to the aboriginal people.

kami

An iron homily
HSC
N/A
zenger69 said:
I thought context was about when the text (film/song/novel) came out and what was happening in society when the book came out.

Example would be Rabbit Proof Fence came out during the time Howard refused to say sorry to the aboriginal people.
That is part of events, circumstances and setting and so is included in my above explanation.

munkaii

HSC
kami said:
Context is the circumstances in which an event occurs, the setting and often lends or changes the meaning of said event or statement. For example the context of Agatha Christie's novels is generally upper middle class society in between the wars. Another example would be that the context of King Lear was Elizabethan society and so forth.
What you are discussing with your example of racism, I think is more along the lines of social values.
i wish i could relate to the two examples you've provided but i'm in my preliminary years and have not studied those texts :)

wrong_turn

the chosen one
HSC
Uni Grad
context should be the time when the text came out and in some instances when the text was re-introduced to the responding public. such an example would be the course of the media.

it is like a vicious cycle for the media. every now and then, they may bring an issue from the past back to the surface. this may be to bring pressure on the government, or for the purpose of selling their product. howeverm since we live in mass-production society, it can only be for the cash :D

munkaii

HSC
God i still don't understand context! How do you understand it.
One of my texts ive been given and asked to find the contexts of is a $10 note... (with banjo patterson + horses on it ).

Would the context be that the government wants to strengthen the economy by introducing new currency.

or

Banjo patterson and the man from snowy river is depicted on the $10 note to illustrate the cultural aspect of Australians?

munkaii

HSC
chamelia said:
This is how my english teacher defines context and it works brilliantly for me.

Context: The stuff around things.
What stuff is what im trying to get at!!

Is context the reasons why a text is published a particular way?

E.g. (Easter show advertisement). Would the context be of contemporary society that is fond of entertainment and fun?
Would a cultural context of this be that the Easter Show is a prestigious event?

chamelia

HSC
Im serious! :D The stuff around things...what was around at the time the text was created...eg Social context..what was society like? any current world issues around the composer that might have influenced the text. Cultural context is important too becuase the culture around you will impact the text and dont forget historical context.

munkaii said:

E.g. (Easter show advertisement). Would the context be of contemporary society that is fond of entertainment and fun?
Would a cultural context of this be that the Easter Show is a prestigious event?
Yep thats right. We are a leisure orientated society, with less restricted working hours. That would influence the creation of the advertisment and would reflect societys values at the time it was made. The cultural significance is that the Easter show is a popular annual event celebrated in Australia and so is the reason behind making the advertisment.

Last edited:

physician

Some things never change.
HSC
munkaii said:
What stuff is what im trying to get at!!

context.. hmm let's look at it in terms of good old shakespeare....

what's the context of Hamlet?

It was written during the elizabethan time,
people or society valued violence.. stage peformance, comedy, the usual clowns and religion...

shakespere's context influenced the outcome of his play 'Hamlet'... were he combined all these contextual influences into his play which reflected upon society, his values... and at the same time provided a tonne of entertainiment...

also noting that stage performance was a major attraction... u would find people from all over England gathering to watch one of shakespears plays... due to the fact that T.V's weren't yet invented.... there were no radios... so yeh...

so context is basically the where?... when? and who? factors of a certain text ot text type...

physician

Some things never change.
HSC
chamelia said:
Im serious! :D The stuff around things...what was around at the time the text was created...eg Social context..what was society like? any current world issues around the composer that might have influenced the text. Cultural context is important too becuase the culture around you will impact the text and dont forget historical context.
Nice explanation........ !!!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)