• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Contest by Matthew Reilly (Matthew Reilly thread) (1 Viewer)

Kwayera

Passive-aggressive Mod
HSC
Argonaut said:
It's got colour maps ... and colour images of Jaosn and Xavier's cars ... go the Argonaut!

Anyway, who here liked HCR - I loved it, I even used it as a ORT for journey, but I pretty much knew it back-to-back. Another forum I'm on, www.thepresidian.net is devoted to Matthew Reilly, so we over-analysed every singe part which really helped me with it.

Better yet, there's HCR2 (teaser poster at www.hovercarracer.com :)) and he's announced a 7th book on his official site (www.matthewreilly.com).
I've been going to the Presidian ever since Scarecrow came out - except only as a lurker. ;) How good is Roy at those renderings? He did the front cover for Scarecrow, too.

Yup, apparently MR7 has something to do with Egypt; and the book itself is huge. Cannot wait. ;)

Kwayera

Passive-aggressive Mod
HSC
wrx said:
whoa cool, u actually like m.r. books? I love em..soo good.
You kidding me? I LOVE MR. I have all of his books - save HCR, which i'm waiting for it to come out in PB.

HSC
hey guys. i went to a talk by matthew last week. it was really good.

anyway. he is finishing his new book in about 3 weeks and it will be released about this time next year. it is set a bit in egypt but not there primarily. he describes it as the begining of the first indiana jones movie, with heaps of boobie traps, running for the full lenght of the book.

he is then taking the year off writting to fund the production of a movie of his short story "altitude rush" or "contest". he also hopes to use the state library for the filming of contest if that is the movie he decides to use.

all is looking good for hcr to become a full length disney feature.

following year he will be writing another book. probably another scarecrow book.

i also encourage all of you to go to a talk by him if you get the chance. he has a lot to say.

Gooba

HSC
MR books are some of the most enjoyable novels ive ever read. When i first got Ice Station I lost track of time completly, I finished it over a weekend. IMHO Temple is the best followed by Ice Station, Scarecrow, Area 7 and then Contest and HCR.

Gooba

HSC
I movie of any o f the books wouldnt work. To much of the story is a character thinking. Like Schofield thinking about what each new piece of infomation means. How do you represent that on the big screen?

KeypadSDM

B4nn3d
HSC
Argonaut said:
- Scarecrow: The fastest read ever! No-one has ever written anything like that before!
You've got problems... You think that book is good? It is the worst novel he has written to date.

gordo

Resident Jew
HSC
i read ice station then contest
i wanna get scarecrow and apprently temple is good

contest was a fun read, his style still needs a little development to create a more wholesome book

geez i hate seeing the word 'gotten' in his novels.

cheers

Mege

gotta agree with belle. the scarecrow rox but it was shit wen they killed off the good characters ie in SCARECROW!

still waiting

HSC
The first mr book i read was temple, i sat down and didnt move until five hours later when i had finished it. i couldnt believe how he can make you picture everything in detail as if its happening in your head, even if they make a movie of his books they wouldnt ever be able to convey the action as well as he does i think they probably would be a disappointment.
the only one i havent read is contest but i want to, i love his books

The Scarecrow

HSC
Ive read all his books (a great many times) and I think they have been getting a bit predictable of late...for example

<SPOILER ALERT>

Hover Car Racer - Chaser HAD to win for the story to advance
Scarecrow - Scarecrow WOULD get Killian (although it DID suprise me when Gant was killed...)

I loved Contest, I thought it was a really orginal idea. Ice Station was brilliant, as was Temple....Im still questioning how much I like Area 7. :rolleyes:

And as great as a MR movies sounds, I dont think they'd pull it off...

*edit* I just realised how ironic it was for me to be talking about a novel called Scarecrow

Last edited:

B35tY

HSC
There was an article in The Bulletin about a new MR short story called Complex.

Something involving US Marines infiltrating a Russian underground base where aliens are being held. Unfortunately, it does not involve Scarecrow.

The prologue was in the magazine and it sounded the same as his others, which is probably not a good thing. We've had enough of that type of book already.

Personally, i really enjoyed Contest, Ice Station and Scarecrow. Temple was also good, but Area 7 didn't really do it for me.

Hover Car Racer was a welcome change, but i think we will see the old MR in this new one.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)