Contest by Matthew Reilly (Matthew Reilly thread) (1 Viewer)

L

lucky

All books by Matthew Reilly

Sci Fi + Adventure + Current Issues in today's society...

nice !~~

Ocker

Yes, I really like Reilly.

I picked up Ice Station and Contest 2 weeks ago at the book exchange (my favourite place :D), and have read them both.

I thought they were very good.

midnight

we used to be friends
HSC
I got Ice Station as part of my book prize from school, I had a few dollars left and they had it for $5. I was going to give it to someone for Christmas but my mum insisted that it was meant to be a good book and that it was a best seller, so I might read it sometime. [Most likely after the HSC]
So I'm interested to see what people thought of it.

anti

aww.. baby raccoon ^^
HSC
I've got Ice Station and Temple... they're very action-packed but well-researched books. They don't take long to get through... I took them to uni and read in breaks and got one done in a week or so.

anti

aww.. baby raccoon ^^
HSC
Originally posted by RCMasterAA
I just bought Scarecrow a few days ago and finished it.
It was mind-blowing to say the least :)
Oh I can't wait to get that! I'm not a fan of HC and I like books in B4/B5 so I have to wait....... it may be a while :(

RCMasterAA

I vant to suck your blood
HSC
Well prepare for action cause the pace of the book is an absolute killer. If he was aiming for the 'most amazing action scenes depicted ever' award I'd say he'd win it. I mean I could practically imagine how some scenes would look in a movie.
The following is a brief smilie synopsis of the book.

:argue: bad words are exchanged
:chainsaw: Schofield gets even
:ninja: knife fights!
Car chases!
violent gunfights!
and gory deaths and people losing heads :)

Not to mention the usual destruction of government property. But a word of advice, read the other books first (don't have to read Contest) and in order too so you understand the whole series.

Grey Council

Legend
HSC
hehe, Ice station is good. After that it becomes predictable. Sure, its mad that the main character never dies and always KILLS his enemies (And i mean kill with a capital K, with all sorts of fancy grenades and hooks and knives and guns and whatnot), but then take Area 7, near the end. The maghooks book where scarecrow is falling down, and the woman he likes is at the top. They shoot two maghooks, and no one has EVER managed to do it before, but whaddya know, they do it the first time. :-\

I liked that inca book by him though, that was mad. Esp the bits where it was located in the past. :D

RCMasterAA

I vant to suck your blood
HSC
About the only thing predictable is that the main character will always live. Apart from that practically everyone else could die, like:
SPOILERS
SPOILERS
SPOILERS
SPOILERS
SPOILERS
Book dying
SPOILERS
SPOILERS
SPOILERS

You might be surprised if you read Scarecrow though...I'm not saying anything, just that you'll be surprised once or twice (at least).

Bolkonski

Brother Angry Dave
HSC
he didnt have to kill... 'her' ..... dammit... i almost didnt believe it when I read it.. I mean just about everyone pulls off the most freaky stuff, and then she dosnt...

Grey Council

Legend
HSC
if you love Matthew Reilly, you'll also love David Gemmell. Try Gemmell, you won't regret it. :)

and yes, 'she' dies cause the whole matthew reilly style is becoming cliched. No one dies, friggin normal people kill whales and mutated eels and mutated panthers that are as big as friggin houses or something, kill all these foreign James Bonds with maghooks and deagles and mp5's and famas' and whatnot. God, the action is fast, yes, but it gets SSOO predictable. Maybe not predictable in the way of you knowing what a character will do to save himself/herself, but predictable in that you know he/she won't die.

Hence scarecrow.

Grey Council

Legend
HSC
Contest by Matthew Reilly

The New York State Library. A silent sanctuary of knowledge; a 100-year old labyrinth of towering bookcases, narrow aisles and spiralling staircases.

For Doctor Stephen Swain and his daughter, Holly, it is the site of a nightmare.
Because for one night this historic building is to be the venue for a contest.
A contest in which Swain is to compete - whether he likes it or not.

The Rules are Simple:
Seven contestants will enter... Only one will leave.

With his daughter in his arms, Stephen Swain is plunged into a terrifying fight for survival.
The stakes are high, the odds brutal. He can choose to run, to hide or to fight...
But if he wants to live - he has to win.

For in this contest, unless you leave as the victor - You do not leave at all.

To read the prologue to this novel:
http://home.iprimus.com.au/zzddowne/Station409.htm and scroll down.

Hope you like. Its very similar to many thoughts people have had. Go to the extension 2 section of the BoS site (not the forums), download lazarus' proposal. Similar, nie?

And this is the first type of a new genre ever created. A genre where non-stop action, and i mean non-stop ACTION (literally non-stop), just happens. Read, the idea is great and the action is greater.

Belle

You should be dancing
HSC
Anyone who hasn't read Scarecrow DO NOT read further!

The only thing I found crap about Scarecrow was the killing of a much-loved character!! That was very sad. Otherwise I thought it was just as good as the others although Contest is still my favourite. Apparently someone's bought the movie rights to it so that will be interesting to see.

kaseita

wasn't that awhile?

or did someone buy it again?

i think those rights went back to reilly awhile ago, cause they didn't do anything with it

Grey Council

Legend
HSC
just buy "contest" if you like books that are like filled with action. literally. yeah, gemmell has action, clancy has action, but nothing matches Reilly. it is literally non-stop action.

and i agree, reilly's books are getting worse. hrm, he loves grenades, loves the maghook thingo, tries to introduce new guns every book, but its all the same. one guy beats the elitest group that the leading nations of the world have to offer. hrmph

contest was mad, and so was ice station. After that, i didn't really like them. The one with the spanish prince in the past was decent too.

meggy_moo

PMS PRINCESS
HSC
YES! they are the best books. i havent read area 7 yet but i read ice station and scarecrow and i LOVED them! they are so action packed its weird!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)