contemporary books (1 Viewer)

lazybum

HSC
N/A
classics are a hard read so i like to intersperse them with easier crime novels and contemporary thrillers.

some of the authors i appreciate are bryce courtney, fay kellerman, david lindsay, dean koontz. i can't think of anymore, but can anyone give me a few good authors of books you can get lost into for a couple of hours?

Loz#1

"03'er"
HSC
I went through a phase where I read Patricia Cornwell's books, but it became a bit too morbid and bleak for me.

lazybum

HSC
N/A
Originally posted by Loz#1
I went through a phase where I read Patricia Cornwell's books, but it became a bit too morbid and bleak for me.
yea same all those postmortems and continual deaths started to freak me out after a while!

Courtenay

HSC
N/A
i love bryce courtenay...who else
i read some patricia cornwell...is she the Kay Scarpetta ones??
I read James Patterson all the time...i think i've read all of his books
I just read "the Da Vinci Code" by dan brown...very good read and i would seriously reccommend it.
im reading a book by Kyle someone and its not great, its about cigarette companies getting sued en masse...its not interesting yet but i'll see how it goes
Santa is going to give me "holographic Universe" by Talbot....i've wanted it for ages so i think i will read it heapd of times, its a science book, all about what the world really is...kinda wierd but we'll see i guess
so i'd reccommend James Patterson@!!

anti

aww.. baby raccoon ^^
HSC
Ooh, Courtenay, I was looking at getting <i>The Da Vinci Code</i> at my next trip to the bookstore. Can't remember what it was that attracted me tho..

I got The Face for my birthday (Koontz) and it's a bit .. mystical for a good thriller but a good read, of course. I like the Matthew Reilly lot, looking to get Scarecrow when it comes out in paperback.

Robert Harris' are nice and well-researched too.

lazybum

HSC
N/A
hi Samsa,
what was the God of Small things about again? I remember reading it about a year ago. It was something about India and children or something... (i must have been sleeping when i read it!)

Gregor Samsa

That Guy
HSC
Originally posted by lazybum
hi Samsa,
what was the God of Small things about again? I remember reading it about a year ago. It was something about India and children or something... (i must have been sleeping when i read it!)
Hard to sum up succintly, but the narrative is centred upon the 1960's childhood of the 'two-egg' twins Estha and Rahel, in the Indian region of Ayemenem, and the ultimately fatal visit of a British relative, Sophie Mol. However, this is expressed in a non-linear manner, with several 'mysteries' ultimately revealed, and the plot touching upon many issues.

Among the most important of these are;
-Post-Colonialism.. (The History House..'But we can't go in,' Chacko explained, 'because we've been locked out...Our minds have been invaded by a war. A war that we have won and lost, the very worst sort of war. A war that captures dreams and re-dreams them. A war that has made us adore our conquerors and despise ourselves.-pp.52-3.
-Explorations of the changing nature of society and history (As seen in Rahel's return to Ayemenem in adulthood..),
-Subtextual power relations (The caste system, misogyny, racism), and so-on..

But yes, you could say its 'seomthing about India and children or something', but thats merely the surface.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)