• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Considering to Leave in the middle of HSC. PLEASE HELP!! (1 Viewer)

lma0

HSC
Hi everybody, sorry about the multiple postings, and thanks to the people who responded.

I am seriously considering on leaving school because I am afraid of getting a low UAI.

I am thinking about doing my HSC year at TAFE, but I have no idea what it is like, and would it be a better choice if I leave school because I have to try really, really hard since my subjects are of 'low scaling'. I want a UAI of 85-90.

English (Standard)
General Maths
Biology
Chemistry
Society & Culture

I suck at chemistry, so the only subject that will scale me up, I have lost hope in :(

So, if I go to a crappy TAFE, would everyone who performs poorly scale me down?

HOW IS TAFE DIFFERENT FROM SCHOOL?

I am so upset and confused.

What if I stay at school, make it into uni, but I don't get the UAI that I want? What are my options of getting into the course I want?

I do not even know my career choice!

I'm really frustrated because my parents are spending all this money on me for tuition, but my results would be a shocker.

PLEASE HELP:(

Last edited:

midifile

Na Na Na Na Naa
HSC
Dont let anyones posts (mine included) get you down. You say you want a UAI of 85-90. That is possible if you put in effort, and even if you don't, a mark below that won't be considered 'low'. You say you don't know what you want to do when you leave school, so its not like getting a (what you consider low) mark will mean that you cant do what you want. A UAI of 70-80 or even less will still allow you to pursue a wide range of options in uni, and if the mark you get isnt high enough to get into the particular course you want then are many ways to get around it (transfering uni, course, bridging programs or whatever they are called, mature age entry etc).

I don't think you would gain anything from dropping out mid-year. Even if you do you will not be able to pick up new courses as it is halfway through the year, and it probably wont make your marks any higher because you will not receive all the support that you are getting in high school. And, you say your parents are spending all this money on you for tuition - it is only another 6 months of school. Im sure they will do whatever that can so that you will succeed!

That's just my opinion. I'm sure you are just worried because you are second guessing yourself and your ability, but I really dont think that leaving school would benefit you. Chances are you will do better than you are expecting, and even if that is not an 85-90, it will still give you a wide range of options. If anything, let this be motivation to put in extra work, and then maybe you will be able to get an 85-90. And don't give up. Youve been in school for 12 and a half years; make them count and do all you can for the next 6 months. You wont regret it at the end (yes i know that sound really corny , but i mean it) :)

Foxodi

HSC
Your considering dropping the HSC and doing it next year, because your subjects are low-scaling? ... Don't be so silly :)
Just study and try your best this year, if your not satisfied with results then, you could consider doing the HSC again at TAFE, though personally I'd hate that idea.

Last edited:

lma0

HSC
Geeze, thank you two so much, it's funny but I began to cry because I feel so useless and so unmotivated after 12 and a half years of school, the idea of leaving is shattering me.

Thank you SO MUCH

pattii

condom endorser
HSC
dont leave, you never know what'll happen if you do the hsc,
at school they give you individual help with assesments and topics that you can't get your head around.
at tafe they usually don't give that much special attention due to the large class and the age ( maturity) in the class.

like i failed heaps of chem class and i did lots of scaling down subjects, but i somehow pwd the chem exam, i didnt get 80 but i still got into uni.

Steppenwolf

HSC
youve already done the first half, why ditch it now? like foxy boy said, just do your best.. i mean im failing pretty bad atm, but im not going suicidal about it :rolleyes:

ticky2002

HSC
N/A
lma0 said:
I am seriously considering on leaving school.

I suck at chemistry.
I've wanted to leave school to. A HSC is better then no HSC. Don't worry about your UAI - you can get into uni via other ways.

I suck at Chemistry too. It's my subject that won't count.

kaos12345

HSC
dont give up hope i know a friend who was headed for a <30 uai and he turned it around to 78. DONT GIVE UP HOPE ever, seriously miracles can happen by the end of the hsc.

m&ss2008

HSC
there are plenty of very decent options that are lower than 85UAI
if you can aim to get maybe 70 or above that would give you a wide range of choices.
also, occassionally you dont have to meet the UAI if you can convince the uni you are worthy of the position.

it may be a clique but you can only give it your best shot. hang in there are re-evaluate your target UAI after doing your trials

justanotherposter

Epic Member
HSC
alrite, just to clear it up - this is all my opinion so i could be wrong.

I think you should just stick it out for another 6 months. We're only half way through, we haven't even completed our trials yet. There's a LOT of time and tests to turn it around! :)

lol just to clear it up.. can anyone verify that i am correct? there is still time to turn over a new leaf? do well in the remaining assessments/trials and finally the hsc. :rofl:

doink

Clone
HSC
1st year uni, looking back. HSC so not worth the amount of time, it is one of MANY different ways of getting into the course you want, bad UAI is merely a setback not a blockout.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)