Considering law at uni but really unsure. Please help! (1 Viewer)

asgunu

HSC
N/A
Hey guys

Could I get your advice? I applied for both the finance and accounting coops, and got offered the accounting coop. I also have a high enough ATAR to get into Comm/Law at UNSW.

If i want to work in more front-office stuff in the future, eg management consulting or even IB, should I go for the coop or comm/law?

Also, is it fairly easy to get into internships at investment banks when doing Comm/Law?

Thanks

avant

HSC
I disagree with any insinuation that a 96-97 TER score is not good enough to compete at the best Australian law schools. A 96-97 at a disadvantaged school is equivalent, in my opinion, to a 99+ at an elite private school. I went to such an elite school and I saw many students who were merely good ordinary students get 98 and 99 scores courtesy of their advantage in resources and know-how. Besides, the Year 12 system is largely focussed upon rote learning, which is different from the research and analysis you will be asked to do in a law degree.

If you are good enough to get a 96-97 TER you have the goods to succeed at any Australian law school. Remember that at an elite school like Melbourne Uni about 10-15% of the students are local full-fee students floating in on a score of 96-98. Plenty of them do well.

It is your verbal ability, reading comprehension, study smarts and willingness to do lots of groundwork & reading that will determine how you go in law school.

As an aside, from my experience clerking and working in the law industry, some of the best clerks and employees I've known are from Latrobe/Deakin, i.e. they had lower TER scores.

avant

HSC
Hey guys

Could I get your advice? I applied for both the finance and accounting coops, and got offered the accounting coop. I also have a high enough ATAR to get into Comm/Law at UNSW.

If i want to work in more front-office stuff in the future, eg management consulting or even IB, should I go for the coop or comm/law?

Also, is it fairly easy to get into internships at investment banks when doing Comm/Law?

Thanks
Very good marks in Commerce will be enough to get you into IB, but Comm/Law is going to be looked upon favourably. But don't do Comm/Law if you only want to get into banking/consulting, because it is difficult to do well in law unless you have a genuine interest.

As I understand it, only the best get internships at IBs. Even out of those doing Comm/Law, there is no guarantee you'll get vac work - it's extremely competitive, and you should be prepared to do 60+ hour weeks during your vac work stints with no guarantee of a graduate job there.

flamearrows

come on die young
HSC
Very good marks in Commerce will be enough to get you into IB, but Comm/Law is going to be looked upon favourably. But don't do Comm/Law if you only want to get into banking/consulting, because it is difficult to do well in law unless you have a genuine interest.

As I understand it, only the best get internships at IBs. Even out of those doing Comm/Law, there is no guarantee you'll get vac work - it's extremely competitive, and you should be prepared to do 60+ hour weeks during your vac work stints with no guarantee of a graduate job there.
A 60 hour week would be the absolute minimum you'd work.

It's a little rude to ask the same question in two different threads.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)