Considering Dropping Mathematics (1 Viewer)

Orwell

HSC
Hey, pretty self-explanatory. I'm considering dropping mathematics as I don't like the subject and feel that by doing it I'll be taking time away from my other subjects.

It's not that I'm bad at math, I'm at the top of my class but in order for me to maintain good grades in math it takes A LOT of work, which I feel could go towards my other subjects.

However, the course I want to do in university (commerce), lists 'Mathematics' as assumed knowledge and now I don't know what to do. Any advice?

Simorgh

HSC
You can dodge most of the Maths in Commerce by doing majors like Marketing, Management, Business Law and others which are less towards Maths than like Finance or Accounting.

Last edited:

si2136

HSC
N/A
Nah. Not much maths is involved in Commerce. But depends on what you really want to do.

Orwell

HSC
I know there may not necessarily be a lot of maths in commerce, but if it falls under 'assumed knowledge' does that mean that if I didn't do in Year 12, I'm barred from entering that particular course? Or does it just mean that I should know it?

It should also be noted that I plan to do a double degree - Law/Commerce.

si2136

HSC
N/A
I know there may not necessarily be a lot of maths in commerce, but if it falls under 'assumed knowledge' does that mean that if I didn't do in Year 12, I'm barred from entering that particular course? Or does it just mean that I should know it?

So you want to become a lawyer?

Orwell

HSC
Yeah, I do but I'd very much like to also study commerce.

So, assumed knowledge =/= prerequisite?

pikachu975

Premium Member
HSC

Assumed means they'll expect you to know the content so you'll probably struggle without it.

Why drop a subject you're first in anyway?

Orwell

HSC
Nah, I'm not first, top of my class and around 14 in the grade and there's around 80 people who do Mathematics.

I can only do well in maths by prioritising it and spending more time on it than any of my other subjects which is something I don't want to do because even if I do, I won't be coming first and I'll also be jeapordising my rank in other subjects.

chiefpasco

HSC
apparently they will be removing assumed knowledge very soon and bring back pre-reqs. I assume ;) that this will be the last intake of assumed knowledge students.

Simorgh

HSC
apparently they will be removing assumed knowledge very soon and bring back pre-reqs. I assume ;) that this will be the last intake of assumed knowledge students.
For the 2019ers at Sydney Uni

si2136

HSC
N/A

As long as you're not entering into a Quant. Role, it should be fine. Just don't complain when there's a shortage of supply for jobs.

Orwell

HSC
As long as you're not entering into a Quant. Role, it should be fine. Just don't complain when there's a shortage of supply for jobs.
Yeah, I hear Lawyer's are pretty backed up which is why I want to study Commerce.

I don't mind doing a bridging course, I just want to know that I can still enter the course one way or another despite dropping maths.

si2136

HSC
N/A
Yeah, I hear Lawyer's are pretty backed up which is why I want to study Commerce.

I don't mind doing a bridging course, I just want to know that I can still enter the course one way or another despite dropping maths.
There are no requirements, so you're free to not do Maths. Your HSC subjects can be all humanities and arts and do Commerce. However, this is only Uni's in Australia. Other states have different prerequisites.

BLIT2014

The pessimistic optimist.
HSC
Uni Grad

It just means that you are assumed to have knowledge equivalent to that level. I haven't met the mathematics recommendations/level for either part of my degree but I'm still allowed to do it.

Orwell

HSC
This comforts me a great deal. Thanks so much.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)