Conservatoriums - GENERAL: Entry, atmosphere, auditions etc. (1 Viewer)

Phanatical

Happy Lala
HSC
As of this afternoon, I'm in the BABMusStudies combined degree. The Con said I could transfer, the Arts Faculty said I couldn't, so the Con asked nicely and I got the transfer. Yay for me.

magician

HSC
Congrats

Phanatical said:
As of this afternoon, I'm in the BABMusStudies combined degree. The Con said I could transfer, the Arts Faculty said I couldn't, so the Con asked nicely and I got the transfer. Yay for me.
Yay! Congratulations Phanatical!! :p

timyates_87

Hello.
HSC
congrats phantical!! :D:D what year are you transfering into? and what is the ratio of being at con to being at camperdown campus for lectures etc

Phanatical

Happy Lala
HSC
I'm not quite sure, but my HECS liability is supposed to remain less than you guys (otherwise i'm staying in my degree!) which probably means I'll remain a Third year student.

For the Combined degree, usually one completes their time at the Conservatorium in the first three years, then starts their time at the Faculty of Arts in the last two years - but I've got one Arts faculty subject down already.

A standard 24 credit point load at the Conservatorium is approximately 16-18 contact hours a week. For Arts, it's about 12 contact hours.

moon_styla

[16527th BoS member]
HSC
syd con

woohaaahhh i was at the con today for my lesson and afterwards i went up to student admin to get a handbook and they didnt have any?!!! wat am i supposed to do now?! can someone explain to me about all those units of study n all that?? or is that too complex? i know i can there is a site for it and ive been to it... but its not clear enough. arghhh.. if no one's bothered to do it, its fine.. but just at least a basic summary of wat i need to do on thursday?

thanks soooo much.

Phanatical

Happy Lala
HSC
To complete the Bachelor of Music, you need to complete 192 credit points over about 8 semesters with a full time load. This means you will enrol in up to 30 credit points a semester (normal load is 24).

Subjects at the Conservatorium are 3 or 6 credit points. This means that if you complete six 3cp subjects and a 6cp subject (your Major study), you will have completed 24cp in that semester.

Phanatical

Happy Lala
HSC
You will find in the Handbook (which for 2005 probably hasn't been released, but won't be too different from the 2004 handbook) a Typical Enrolment Pattern for your degree. This is the typical enrolment pattern for Composition in Semester 1, including Unit of Study (UoS) codes.

6cp - CMPN1005 - Composition 1 (Major)
3cp - CMPN1011 - Compositional Techniques and Analysis 1
3cp - MUED1002 - Music Technology 1
3cp - MCGY1000 - Aural Perception 1
3cp - MCGY1008 - Harmony and Analysis 1
3cp - CMPN1001 - Australian Music Research 1
3cp - GENS2004 - Historical and Cultural Studies 1
Total: 24cp

Generally it's recommended to follow the Typical Enrolment Pattern, as you'll find yourself doing the same classes as your friends. However, some students may wish to take further studies, such as Conducting, making your enrolment 27 or even 30 credit points.

moon_styla

[16527th BoS member]
HSC
Phanatical, you are a 'phantastic' champ lol.. ur a genius!! i sorta get it now...

also one more thing... in our classes, lectures, watever u like to call them... are we made to always stick with say, just 'keyboard' people or 'string' people? or are the classes all joined together so there are string players, brass, woodwind.. etc. all in the same class? hmmm..

anyway.. thanks heapz!

Phanatical

Happy Lala
HSC
Lectures (Harmony and Analysis, Historical and Cultural Studies) are held in the Music Workshop and everybody doing the subject (essentially all of first year) attends that.

You sign up for tutorials on your later Orientation day based on what suits your schedule best. These are on a first come, first serve basis, so you need to plan beforehand which class you would like to attend. For example, if there is a tutorial for Historical and Cultural Studies at Tuesday 1pm, Tuesday 4pm or Thursday 9am, you need to sign the sheet at Orientation day marked "Historical and Cultural Studies 1" which corresponds to the time that you want to attend that class.

m111

Define "cynical"
HSC
Soprano 2006...?

Hi everybody,
I'm usually to be found lurking in the Medicine threads, so I'm new here, and well, looking for advice...
I'm in Yr 12 and I DON'T do music in any form for the HSC (never had at school for that matter...)... BUT outside of school I go to a singing teacher. I've been having singing lessons for exactly 2 years now, and after 8 months, I did my 5th grade (B) and last year did my 7th grade (A - Honours!!) and I'm currently studying for my 8th grade exam. I've never done any musicology, and so am currently studying 4th grade musicianship. My teacher wants to see me get into a Con (he's not too fussed which one) and I plan to apply.... but honestly what do you reckon? What are my chances realistically? And what do you think I should do??

- m111

Jazz Man Tim

Cannonball
HSC
:eek: you've been learning for 2 years and ur up to 8th grade, crikey! :)
better let sombody more qualified answer this question tho :D
i think for Syd Con, u need AMEB grade 5-6 musicianship or HSC music 2 tho...

Phanatical

Happy Lala
HSC
At least AMEB Grade 5 Musicianship or Theory or HSC Music 2. Though you'll find that a lot of what is taught in AMEB Musicianship will be considered Wrong at the Con. For example, there is no such thing as a Ib or Ic chord. As for AMEB Singing, unlike with an instrument you've been learning how to use your voice since birth, and it's pretty easy to become a good singer in a very short time.

ur_inner_child

.%$^!@&^#(*!?.%$^?!.
HSC
did anyone see me?

I was the asian girl in the composition unit wearing a lady's suit (cuz i needed to work afterwards) for some time... or a blue v neck and black pants when it got kinda hot

and i spoke to everybody

:D

I didnt see you trumpet geek :'(

I think i mightve seen tim yates... considering i went back at a little bit past 5pm to deal with unfinished business....

timyates_87

Hello.
HSC
ur_inner_child said:
I think i mightve seen tim yates... considering i went back at a little bit past 5pm to deal with unfinished business....
you saw me??!?! well at 5 i would have been in music workshop being pissed off that it took so long!! gah!! so unorganised!! and WHY did so many ppl bring parents!!! all up it took me 5 HOURS!! yes 5 HOURS!! and i didn't make any mistakes it took heaps of ppl 5 HOURS!! ahh

and i saw... trumpet geek, joe, hoshimi whateva you want to call her... lol and she saw me... that is all.. *shakes head*

trumpet geek

HSC
N/A
m111 said:
Hi everybody,
I'm usually to be found lurking in the Medicine threads, so I'm new here, and well, looking for advice...
I'm in Yr 12 and I DON'T do music in any form for the HSC (never had at school for that matter...)... BUT outside of school I go to a singing teacher. I've been having singing lessons for exactly 2 years now, and after 8 months, I did my 5th grade (B) and last year did my 7th grade (A - Honours!!) and I'm currently studying for my 8th grade exam. I've never done any musicology, and so am currently studying 4th grade musicianship. My teacher wants to see me get into a Con (he's not too fussed which one) and I plan to apply.... but honestly what do you reckon? What are my chances realistically? And what do you think I should do??

- m111
aparently its bloody hard to get into the con for singing... like what kind of singing do u wana do? Classical? opera? jazz? hm.... anyway you should definitly try out for it though - just work really really really really hard this year, and dont focus too much on school work and put all ur effort into the music. Er... um... yeah u should still do school work but like just do enough that youll pass and get decent marks... but er... the point that im trying to make is that even if u get a uai of 99.99, if ur music isnt up to scratch then ur not likely to get in... but sounds like ur doin well tho with ur ameb grades and stuf - A - honours in 7th grade is amazing well done!!!!!!!!!!!!! So yeah work real hard and good luck ;)

ur_inner_child

.%$^!@&^#(*!?.%$^?!.
HSC
timyates_87 said:
gah!! so unorganised!! and WHY did so many ppl bring parents!!! all up it took me 5 HOURS!! yes 5 HOURS!! and i didn't make any mistakes it took heaps of ppl 5 HOURS!! ahh
yeah well. did you reach the end of it only to be informed that you couldnt get the student card or anything because they don't have an eftpos machine and that you had to go to the main campus?

I did. I couldnt collect a student card even after trekking to the main campus because it was nearly time for me to go to work (I work in the city) and after 5, I went back to the con, and lined up, once again.

ALTHOUGH, on the way, I've made some good contacts, esp with lecturers, composing 2005 students and other people :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)