Conservatoriums - GENERAL: Entry, atmosphere, auditions etc. (1 Viewer)

ur_inner_child

.%$^!@&^#(*!?.%$^?!.
HSC
shit, i have a subject clash i just found.

michael didn't really tell me how long the principal study goes for.... so....

i hope i can squeeze into aural perception somewhere.

although i know it was packed....

Phanatical

Happy Lala
HSC
Principal Study is three hours, Wednesday 2-5. Most times you won't need to be there for the whole three hours, but it's essential you keep all three free.

trumpet geek

HSC
N/A
Hahahah i forgot to sign up for some of the tutorials im screwed! Apparently im in Moonstylas aural perception class i think. I duno anyone in my classes!! BOohoo!! Oh, and im my music history 3 class theres only me and sum other person.... oh no!

moon_styla

[16527th BoS member]
HSC
kooool!!! am i really?! woahh...... but i think im meant to be doing some other aural class... i signed up for aural perception 1 but im meant to be in aural perception 1A... so hmmm i totally screwed up those sign on things.. lol

Phanatical

Happy Lala
HSC
Classes like Music History are taken by students in other years, so all those tutorials you signed on for were available for continuing students to add their names to today.

trumpet geek

HSC
N/A
moon_styla said:
kooool!!! am i really?! woahh...... but i think im meant to be doing some other aural class... i signed up for aural perception 1 but im meant to be in aural perception 1A... so hmmm i totally screwed up those sign on things.. lol

damn!!!! then i wont know anyone in my class in gona b a loser... nooooooooo!!!!!!!!!! oh well. i screwed up my thingy too... and my friend in 4th year said that we should just turn up to whatever tutorial and then sort it out then. so we dont have to make such a big deal out of it... im sure there are many others who screwed up their tutorial sign on stuff!!.... well... i hope!

moon_styla

[16527th BoS member]
HSC
sydney uni

people! i was just curious if anyone ever felt this too but in BoS under 'the university of sydney' section, i realised there are like 'faculty of law', 'faculty of blah blah' and that. but there isnt the music faculty one.... so it feels like we've been left out haha..

meh would anyone know who i can ask so we can have that? would i have to just ask the mod for that section? ahh i really wanna see it happening hehe

oh and btw trumpet_geek i had a look at the handbook again and i think aural perception 1 is better than 1A (you do less stuff lol) so i think i might just do A.P.1 so now u wont be nigellated anymore :p hehe

Phanatical

Happy Lala
HSC
There are actually two music schools at the University of Sydney - the Music Department of the Faculty of Arts (Seymour Centre), and the Sydney Conservatorium of Music.

EDIT: This is no longer correct, as of 2005 the Music Department in the Faculty of Arts is now part of the Sydney Conservatorium of Music.

Last edited:

Bunny04

VIVE LA FRANCE
Well for starters, Australia, NSW, Sydney- and fin
HSC
^^- howdy.
I have a question bout Tutorials... Um, i signed up, and just figured out have clash, and forget my other Tutorial times and Lab for Solfege... is there a way to check, what Tutorial/ solfage class we signed up for the other day ^^ I shouldn't have lost the paper d'oh

trumpet geek

HSC
N/A
moon_styla said:
oh and btw trumpet_geek i had a look at the handbook again and i think aural perception 1 is better than 1A (you do less stuff lol) so i think i might just do A.P.1 so now u wont be nigellated anymore :p hehe

YAAAAAY!!!!!!!!!!! hehehehe. Oh wait... hang on... maybe it was harmony and analysis.... i duno they all sound the same... one of those non practical subjects....! oOOohhh well...

dont worry bunny04 - heaps of people got clashes too esp composition students.... and yeah also heaps of people forgot to check their tute room numbers, times, etc... we should be able to sort it all out later!

timyates_87

Hello.
HSC

moon_styla

[16527th BoS member]
HSC
YES!! plz support tim (and me) in creating a very wonderful environment for con people in the syd uni forum!! go to it and help!

brassedoff

HSC
ujuphleg said:
oh and since there are at least 4 trumpeters in this forum:

Brass (major)
a)Technical requirements
-all major and minor scales and arpeggios
b) Prepared program:
- two contrasting works with piano (one at least to be from a concerto or sonata)
- two advanced Etudes
c)sight reading

and minor level (for Lexi)
-all major and minor scales and arpeggios
- two advanced etudes
- two contrasting works with piano accompaniment
-sight reading.
I'm another one!
How hard is it for trumpeters to get in? I know they had a shortfall about 7 years ago but I wasn't all that keen on trumpet back then. And what standard of performance do they expect?

timyates_87

Hello.
HSC
brassedoff said:
I'm another one!
How hard is it for trumpeters to get in? I know they had a shortfall about 7 years ago but I wasn't all that keen on trumpet back then. And what standard of performance do they expect?
if you want a career out of music DO NOT go to Newcastle Con!! as for getting into the con you will need to have a strong point of your playing that they think they can use eg: technique, tone, register, etc.. Presuming you are interested in the Classical course you will need to be familiar with repoitoire such as Haydn, Hummel etc and be aware or different playing techniques.. Technical stuff isn't such an issue.. usually you can get through the audition with just a basic sight read and a few scales.. UAI isn't an issue for trumpets. (at least in my case) i got 59.00 *hides* and im doing the main Bmus (perf) course.. so if you have to skill and you go very well in music extension you will get in. and very important for your audition BE PREPARED!! it is way more important than your hsc so make sure you have lots or water if you get dry lips and reherse alot with your accompanist.. KNOW THE MUSIC!! in the audition you will need to play:

• 2 Contrasting pieces (eg: Haydn 1st Mov and your HSC core piece)
  • 2 Advanced Contrasting Studies
  • Scales - (Major, Minor (harmonic/melodic), chromatic
  • a sight read which will be easy if they like you ;)

after you play they will like to talk to you for aobut 10 minutes to get to know you.. here is where you bullshit and suck up. they just ask about hours practise, interests, ensemble experience etc.

After all this you will get in! :)

GOOD LUCK

demosthenes

Executive Sardine
HSC
does anyone know how hard it is to get in for classical sax?
Same audition requirements as brass?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)