Conservatorium interviews (1 Viewer)

Sashmish

Does anyone here study at the Con? Or is anyone here applying to do so next year?
I have an interview and skills test in about a week, and I'd like to know what to expect in terms of content and difficulty, etc.

I'd be grateful if anyone could shed some light on the oh-so-scary process of getting in. Thanks :)

ur_inner_child

.%$^!@&^#(*!?.%$^?!.
HSC
Are you doing it for musicology or composition??

I'm doing composition :)

I can't wait. A bit nervous. I havent even handed my comps in, but It'll get there on monday (when its due), hand delivered cuz I love going there....

Sashmish

I'm trying for Musicology, I want to do the combined BA/B Music studies.
I love it there too, it's just so beautiful!

Do you have to take the skills test? If they focus on triads as a listening thing, I'm doomed.

ur_inner_child

.%$^!@&^#(*!?.%$^?!.
HSC
Yeah I still do a music skills test. I haven't actually prepared for much (which is REALLY BAD considering I don't do AMEB... anymore)

Wow, musicology. That's heaps good! I don't think many would do musicology, so it sounds like a good thing for you!

Sashmish

I've never done AMEB's, and at the open day I was told you didn't really need more than grade four skill level, so I think we'll both be ok.

If not many people want to do musicology, that works for me, cause I'll have a better chance of getting in :)

What style of music are your compositions?

ur_inner_child

.%$^!@&^#(*!?.%$^?!.
HSC
Really ranging, which I think is a good thing.

I did 4 compositions in Music 2 and Ext, so I just have to pick from the four...

Core - Atonal piece with drums, piano & acoustic bass
Elective - Swing Saxophone quartet (really shit, so I'll leave it out lol)
Ext 1 - Orchestral - Hans Zimmer Film Music style :D
Ext 2 - Orchestral - Fantasia style

So yeah. I probably wont get in because I wrote my scores really shithouse-ly...

What did you do your musicology on?

Sashmish

They wanted an essay, so I compared Fanny Mendelssohn and Clara Schumann with their close male counterparts, arguing that in terms of output, range and popularity of their compositions, they were equal to the men. This was to prove the point that female composers should be given attention as composers, not put in the one special category because they are female.

I hope no-one at the Con objects to a bit of feminism ;)

Which degree do you actually want to do?

ur_inner_child

.%$^!@&^#(*!?.%$^?!.
HSC
I applied anything with composition in it (except education but I think I'll reconsider it now)

I was going to do B Music Studies/B Arts as first preference like you, but I'll be moving out so double degree-ing means no time to make money to support myself...

But I REALLY want to do Music (Composition), but I applied for B Music Studies too.

Feminism sounds great! Sounds very sophisticated, I think they'll like it :D

Phanatical

Happy Lala
HSC
The Con is a Very feminine place.

For admission to the Con, you need to apply through UAC, obviously, then do the whole Portfolio, and Interview thing. The Chair of Musicology is Dr. Jennie Shaw, she's nice, but she really does know what she's doing (Her doctorate is in Law).

You'll also need to sit a music skills test, where they'll test your harmony and aural skills.

You will need about a 60-65 UAI for the BMusStudies, however admissions to the BA is somewhat more difficult, and you will need At Least 80 for this. Best option is to add the BMus (Musicology) and the BMusStudies to your UAC preferences below the BA/BMusStudies, and then attempt to transfer in later.

I'm also trying to transfer to the BA/BMusStudies, but I've got two years of the BMus (Comp.) already done, so I'm hoping it'll be easier, and it'll offset my 75.40 UAI. It might be something you could look into if you don't get into the Combined degree straight away.

Phanatical

Happy Lala
HSC
the BA/BMusStudies is actually just as easy as the BMus (Comp.), since your load per semester remains 24 credit points. Technically, you're not even supposed to touch the BA component until about third year. You just do an extra two semesters, with your study load spread over both the Con and the Main campus.

ur_inner_child

.%$^!@&^#(*!?.%$^?!.
HSC
Phanatical said:
the BA/BMusStudies is actually just as easy as the BMus (Comp.), since your load per semester remains 24 credit points. Technically, you're not even supposed to touch the BA component until about third year. You just do an extra two semesters, with your study load spread over both the Con and the Main campus.

Really? mmMmm... you've been a great help Phanatical, you're a legend.

Sashmish

Yes, thankyou :)

I think the thing with the combined degree is that the arts part has to include a major in music, so half of the two degrees overlap.

Phanatical, do you know how many people they usually take for muscology? Also, is the interview formal or casual? And how hard is the skills test?

Phanatical

Happy Lala
HSC
The interview is relatively casual, but you should treat it formally. The intake for musicology is similar to that for Composition, about 10 or so. I don't know many musicologists, but they're there. And the music skills test is about a Musicianship 4th Grade level. It's pretty easy if you know your harmonic voice leading, and piss easy if you have perfect pitch.

Phanatical

Happy Lala
HSC
The two degrees don't overlap, but much of what you'll learn in the BMusStudies will serve you well with the Music major at the Seymour Centre. The teachers there are really nice.

Sashmish

Yeah, they were nice when I spoke to some at the open day in August.

Um, in the handbook it says you have to do some compulsory performance units in the Music studies degree. Is this a theory type thing, or actual performance?

Phanatical

Happy Lala
HSC
You can fulfill those performance units in various ways, a couple that come to mind are Performance Practice (3cp x 4) (Perf Prac 1-2 is improvisation, Perf Prac 3-4 is percussion) and Choral Ensemble (3cp x 4). These are easy enough to get out of the way.

Phanatical

Happy Lala
HSC
ur_inner_child said:
Are you doing it for musicology or composition??

I'm doing composition :)

I can't wait. A bit nervous. I havent even handed my comps in, but It'll get there on monday (when its due), hand delivered cuz I love going there....
This just reminded me I still have an essay to get in. And a whole bunch of library books & CD's to return for the year.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)