Conservation Laws and Chadwick (1 Viewer)

Constip8edSkunk

Joga Bonito
HSC
the dot point says discuss its importance, but im not sure how you can discuss it, i mean i can think of adv: its important; disadv: none.. hmmm lol

also i was reading the explaination in Longman's Physics Contexts... and i didn't get it at all...

Here's what i thought it should be:
[let m,u,v, be mass and velocities of unknown particle, ie neutron and M, U, V be the same quantities for the hydrogen nucleus]
Conservation of Momentum, mu+MU = mv+MV
but u=0, v=0; .'.mu=MV -> u=MV/m
'.' elastic collision, total kinetic energy is conserved
0.5mu^2 + 0.5MU^2 = 0.5 MV^2 +0.5mv^2
mu^2=MV^2
m(MV/m)^2 = MV^2
.'. M/m=1, so the unknown particle has similar mass to the neutron

First is this right? because the thing in Contexts was totally wierd
Secondly, does this point require this? which brings me back to my original question, how do you discuss the importance of the conservation laws to chadwick's discovery of the neutron?

MyLuv

I never seen i b4 but ye i think thats right:)
The significane of cml is it allow Chadwick to determine the mass of the new parcticle hence lead to discover of neutrons :rolleyes: More dot point???

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC
They were about to scrap the ideas of conservation of mass-energy and momentum.. previously totally binding laws of nature.. to cater for the collision of the alpha particle into beryllium and the resultant radiation produced...

sorri too lazy/sleepy to check eq..

Constip8edSkunk

Joga Bonito
HSC
Quanta to Quarks

so basically we cant really discuss the conservation laws' significance?

only describe that they were important and how it led to the mass of neutron being calculated, and chadwick showed that they hold, despite ppl like bohr thinking taht they may not apply in the quantum level?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)