conics query. (1 Viewer)

cwag

adonis
HSC
N/A
I've never fully understood...that when calculating eccentricity for either ellipse or hyperbola, there are certain situations when the roles of a and b swap around....What are these situations?....for example, wheb b>a for ellipse i think the eccentricty equation becomes a2=b2(1 - e2)...and focus is be, directrix b/e...however there are other times when is just the normal b2=a2(1 - e2)..plz explain?

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC
回复: conics query.

If b>a, the ellipse is an egg with the major axis on the y axis and the minor axis on the x axis, hence why the b and a value changes in the formula.

If a>b, then it's your typical watermlon (Looool) and the "typical" equation holds

cwag

adonis
HSC
N/A
yea but what about for hyperbola? does it change for y2/a2 - x2/b2 =1....or when b>a?

cwag

adonis
HSC
N/A
does anybody know this?? i was thinking about it, and maybe its only for ellipse, because when determining eccentricity e2= 1 - b2/a2

and since e is real, b2/a2 must be < 1 so if b>a then the roles of a and b switch..

however, for a hyperbola e2 = 1 + b2/a2, which really doesn't matter how big or small because its always > 0 so e is real.

If any of that made sense, im still unsure as to whether the roles of a and b switch for a different situation...like y2/b2 - x2/a2 = 1?

nrs1990

HSC
For the hyperbola, they can switch, but it has nothing to do with if b>a. You switch a and b around when you're working with the inverse function, that is, when y<SUP>2</SUP>/b<SUP>2</SUP> - x<SUP>2</SUP>/a<SUP>2</SUP> = 1 . That hyperbola goes up and down, rather than left and right.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)