Congratulations! (1 Viewer)

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
Yeah, but most of the asian ones don't have that problem. It's very prevalent in the "white" ones, but the same goes for guys. Just more noticeable in girls because you don't expect it.

m111

Define "cynical"
HSC
+Po1ntDeXt3r+ said:
realli?? Wow...

that latter comment may hav swayed me to be an anaesthetist too lolz.. :D
if im goin to study for a min of 15 yrs.. i pray that id make sumfing to show for it..
... yeah, but don't anaesthetists have the highest suicide rates? them and dentists, I was told...

Lexicographer said:
It's the Physical Sciences that really suffer. All the girls are manly or dumb. Or ugly of course, but they don't count.

(am I being politically correct enough yet? oh what a great doctor I shall make)

Lex, you're a pig. That's all I have to say.

- m111

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
m111 said:

Lex, you're a pig. That's all I have to say.

- m111
:rolleyes:

You need to see how politically correct we are forced to be to understand the humour. It's not that I really believe any of those things, but rather that should I actually say them in person people would be shocked and reviled. Of course, given the context of your statement, I don't see any need to justify it further.

m111

Define "cynical"
HSC
Well, I just felt that I should stand up for all us "white" female aspiring doctors - give us a chance!

Hehe... as long as we can all realise that this is tongue-in-cheek, then I won't have to kick your ass! ;p

(honestly, where those posts just begging for a bite or what?!)

- m111

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
Anyway, I'm not sure about the anaesthitist suicide statistics. I don't think I'd be driven to take my own life, because I have a secret drug that keeps me thirsty for life. ;)

Bob.J

ZoOm
HSC
Lexicographer said:
Anyway, I'm not sure about the anaesthitist suicide statistics. I don't think I'd be driven to take my own life, because I have a secret drug that keeps me thirsty for life. ;)

um a lecturer said that anaesthetists did have the highest suicide rates out of doctors/physicians etc.
ie. it's boring and ...

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC
w00t w00t.. im goin to Die :D.. nah i love the thought of anaesthesia.. and if its realli boring.. ill go into research..

umm white female aspiring docs.. are a majority in Adel..and are very capable students...
but to be honest females majorities in med schools are not good.. they can cause a massive shortage because..
a) if they decide to get pregnant, a strain where they work will occur of doctors shuffling to make up for lost hours. Male doctors rarely take/are eligible for maternity leave.
b) the option for a male doctor to provide a male perspective and consul is limited.. i mean if ure goin to get ure prostate remove and u may get erectile dysfunction a male sumtimes.. especially older men feel comfortable talking to a male doc than a female... its lik OBGYN.. it use to be 100% males.. ppl want options.. and now its lik mostly females... but they are still hard to find

btw most schools intakes were majority females.. up to 66%.. im just saying that a 50/50 would be better..

m111

Define "cynical"
HSC
hehe... ok I'm feeling an overwhelming sense of male domination, seeing as I seem to be the only girl here... and there are just some mods I REALLY don't want to upset....*backs away slowly*

hipsta_jess

Up the mighty red V
HSC
N/A
So, you're saying that a male who would not be as good of a doctor should get a position over a female who would be good, purely for the sake of ratio's?

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
hipsta_jess said:
So, you're saying that a male who would not be as good of a doctor should get a position over a female who would be good, purely for the sake of ratio's?
Ugh.

Don't start polarising views, or you'll seem like a typical slackjawed American media personality. A doctor is only as good as s/he is capable, and if a doctor is not capable of meeting the needs of a patient (in Alvin's example, people with "mens' problems") then they're simply no good to the patient.

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC
hipsta_jess said:
Well Yes.. i think actively insuring that doctors represent the community at least gender wise would be an important issue..

100% females in a profession does not allow for diversity nor choice for patients .. communication skills are as important as analytical skills in med.. those comm skills can be learnt so using a 1-shot interview cant be as meaningful as they appear.

im saying that i suspect the current process may disadvantage males so intake ratios should be taken into account..

m111

Define "cynical"
HSC
So he is. My mistake... i must have misread the post. But still, how can it be managed? Simply restrict the number of females who obtain entry to the program?

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC
i doubt that.. actualli im noticing the news is reportin more gender disparity in yr 12 results too..
but i think if the solution was easy enough to be posted on the net forum.. it would be done :p
for the interviews
interviewer education that males will react differently and require slightly different approaches is important.. because they are given a form to adhere to for an interview and altering the form may/may not help improve intake disparity

m111

Define "cynical"
HSC
+Po1ntDeXt3r+ said:
i doubt that.. actualli im noticing the news is reportin more gender disparity in yr 12 results too..
but i think if the solution was easy enough to be posted on the net forum.. it would be done :p
for the interviews
interviewer education that males will react differently and require slightly different approaches is important.. because they are given a form to adhere to for an interview and altering the form may/may not help improve intake disparity
... but then again, if the prospective is unable to be flexible, what good will they be when they come to patient interaction, say? Are you presuming that some sort of communication/personal skills training will be undertaken? (They won't help everyone...)

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC
because skills like those are actualli able to be taught :)
i kno this because ive seen it... comm skills are taught at all med schools.. u assume that ure comm skills are set.. i am suppose to spend about 1/4 of the course doing it

with many ppl its due to confidence and practise... all med schools provide this practise.. obviously u cant be totally inept but within reasonable limits u can .. so 1/3 of selection on 45mins is a lil big for anyone..

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
Yeah, we've got this damn "Foundations of Clinical Practice" unit which is all about "how not to be offensive to your patients". I call it "Foundations of HappyDoc".

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)