Confused: UNSW or UWS?? (1 Viewer)

tallkid34

In 25 words or less
HSC
NEVAGIVEUP said:
Location for either is fine. Can you tell me anything else about UNSW, like lecturers, environment, library (doing a B Arts in english...so the library is my new home)? Thanks
Hahaha... The library will be your new home.... I just find that ironic being as arts students tend to spend their time 'outside' the library on the library lawn then inside it (its either that or they'll be bumming around at lower campus in the unibar).

UNSW is fucking awesome. However, our arts faculty is up the shits from what I hear being that they're cutting down courses and particular majors due to low participation and general lack of interest. Whether this affects you however depends. The main library is huge, old, busy and isn't a bad place to study depending on the time of day.

The environment at UNSW however also depends. Get used to being around a lot of asians as the majority of white students (I'm assuming you're white but if not, so be it) tend to do your sort of degree or law. If you have no issues with that or catching the extra bus to/from our kensington campus, then you can't go wrong with coming to UNSW.

HSC
Marks>Uni
Look at the each unis handbooks
Do more research into your respective courses
08ers should stop posting advice about uni

skyline

Proud Aurion TRD owner
HSC
N/A
moye1025 said:
The preconceptions people have of UWS are extremely narrow minded. When choosing your degree the employer will look for which degree is more prestigous and not what name and logo is printed on the top. In my opinion the UWS: B Arts/ Masters of teaching would be the smarter option in the long term.

your narrow minded to think its all about prestige, grow up, this is the real world we are talking about, i know how this shit works, stop telling people when choosing a degree prestige comes first, the employer doesnt give a fuck which uni your from, provided u have a degree, they more focus on how well you did in uni, i.e. if your an honors student doing arts from uws as opposed from unsw they will take you on board, i dont know why everyone on bos is concerned about prestige, prestige has nothing to do with employer satisfaction and work performence, presitige is a minor thing its hardly important, they look more closely how good your going to be for the job as well as how well you performed in uni :uhhuh:

tallkid34

In 25 words or less
HSC
kevinx2 said:
08ers should stop posting advice about uni
That's the smartest thing I've heard from you 08's in answering your UNSW questions...

spence

HSC
runnable said:
Simply put, UWS is where people direct those who receives an UAI which no other university would take. Do you want to be with those people? XD
Simply put, you haven't been to uni yet so your opinion counts for shit. Who cares if UWS is not prestigious, doesn't mean it isn't a good uni

sarahdee

HSC
Okay, i have a dilemma. I've just finished year 11 and got dux and was given a $20,000 UWS scholarship. I live in the Eastern Suburbs so it would be a bit of a trek. I want to do Secondary Teaching. What uni would be best? Syd, UNSW or UWS?

sdcloud69

Banned
HSC
who cares about the education, that's pretty much your HECS taken care of.

go to UWS.

tallkid34

In 25 words or less
HSC
sarahdee said:
Okay, i have a dilemma. I've just finished year 11 and got dux and was given a $20,000 UWS scholarship. I live in the Eastern Suburbs so it would be a bit of a trek. I want to do Secondary Teaching. What uni would be best? Syd, UNSW or UWS?
I was in the middle of writing down a really long post about how awesome UNSW is but I'll keep it short.

Fuck the scholarship, come to UNSW.

NEVAGIVEUP

HSC
tallkid34 said:
Hahaha... The library will be your new home.... I just find that ironic being as arts students tend to spend their time 'outside' the library on the library lawn then inside it (its either that or they'll be bumming around at lower campus in the unibar).

UNSW is fucking awesome. However, our arts faculty is up the shits from what I hear being that they're cutting down courses and particular majors due to low participation and general lack of interest. Whether this affects you however depends. The main library is huge, old, busy and isn't a bad place to study depending on the time of day.

The environment at UNSW however also depends. Get used to being around a lot of asians as the majority of white students (I'm assuming you're white but if not, so be it) tend to do your sort of degree or law. If you have no issues with that or catching the extra bus to/from our kensington campus, then you can't go wrong with coming to UNSW.
LOL!! Thanks for the tips!

karoooh

HSC
From what I hear, Education at UNSW is pretty shit. And it's Secondary Education, incase you were interested in Primary Education.

-Anfernee-

HSC
karoooh said:
From what I hear, Education at UNSW is pretty shit. And it's Secondary Education, incase you were interested in Primary Education.

Education may be "pretty shit" at UNSW, but just think about it for a minute, could education at UNSW really be much worse than education at UWS?

no, didn't think so..

HSC
Same delima for myself, secondary education in science, Syd looks good for science based courses but UWS is 20mins for me compared to 1.5 hours to syd... Yer, just throwin it out there.

tallkid34

In 25 words or less
HSC
WantToDoBetter said:
Same delima for myself, secondary education in science, Syd looks good for science based courses but UWS is 20mins for me compared to 1.5 hours to syd... Yer, just throwin it out there.
Go to USYD then. You'll get used to travelling times anyway and on top of that, if possible later on when you get older, you could always move out. I know friends who live in blacktown who spend the same amount of time travelling that difference to UNSW and they're just used to it.

NEVAGIVEUP

HSC
tallkid34 said:
Don't mention it but also don't thank me, just go to UNSW!
You should become the 'Face' of UNSW or join the marketing team :p And yes UNSW is at the top of my choices at the moment

HSC
tallkid34 said:
Go to USYD then. You'll get used to travelling times anyway and on top of that, if possible later on when you get older, you could always move out. I know friends who live in blacktown who spend the same amount of time travelling that difference to UNSW and they're just used to it.
Yeah i guess ur right, you would get use to it, im already use to travelling 45mins to work so i could probabley handle a bit more... I'll c what happens.

bouncingCats

HSC
I'm in the same dilemma...UWS gave me an early offer to do their BA/M Teaching course... I've looked at the course and I presuming their offering Bachelor of Arts for 3 years and accelerated Teaching course in the fourth year (If I wrong, please correct me)

In the "Uni Offers" thread, shiftyIceQueen posted this:

$hiftyIceQueen said:
DONT! They don't teach anything 'teaching' related until you're in your fourth year. And the history subjects are shit as, same with their art ones.

Unless you've checked it all and like it :/

ambermorn

Tic Tac addict.
HSC
N/A
Ok, some of you 08'ers are fucking retards, honestly. I'll bold some of the parts so you people can comprehend it, ok?

Marks. Count. More. Than. PRESTIGE!!!!

Fucking hell, I have to type out my story everytime I see posts like these because I hate seeing people bag UWS - WHICH IS ACCREDITTED TO OFFER THE DEGREE. FULL STOP. It is not a waste of a UAI!

What is a waste of a UAI is if you get into a uni and barely pass your courses! You may as well write your testamur on a piece of toilet paper and wipe it on your ass! I cannot stress this enough!!!!

The only reason people bag UWS is because it's a new university and it's in the western suburbs. Ridiculous. People should choose their uni based on the strengths of the school that the degree is associated with, not the brand name.

I CHOSE to go to UWS over other universities (Mac and UNCLE) as I preferred their degree and school of psychology over the others. I do not regret my decision whatsoever.

My sister did her undergrad at UWS too. Now, she has just finished first class honours at a different uni, has been given a scholarship to do her PhD, was offered two scholarships last year (one from USyd, which she turned down as it had CRAP FACILITIES FOR THE SCHOOL SHE WAS ASSOCIATED WITH) and has been academically published for the first time recently. She went to UWS and is now shitting all over Med Sci students all over Sydney. How did she become so successful? Her marks were awesome - she graduated with distinction. That's how.

You kids are a bit young to remember this, but once upon a time when Mac was a new uni, people bagged it just like they did with UWS - just because it was new. My parents met there, my dad now holds two Masters degrees. Prestige didn't stop them.

Now I have gotten the whole prestige debate out of the way, let me give a personal recommendation. I would not recommend the BA/M Teaching course at UWS, even though I study alongside these people everyday. Why? Because you don't get to do prac work until fourth year, and I think it's important students are exposed to the classroom ASAP. For this reason, I would recommend a uni that allows prac work in first year. I am aware that ACU does this, not sure where else.

However, UWS offers both primary and secondary education, unlike UNSW. Could be worth considering a Dip Ed as well as a Bachelor's in your chosen field? The best place to consult for advice is a careers counsellor, not BOS, because most of the people here talk absolute shit.

In summary: fucking 08'ers shut up with your uni advice until you attend uni yourselves. You seriously do not know shit.

Thank you and goodnight ;)

P.S. I forgot to mention, people should choose their university based on the strength of the structure of their degree and the school they are affiliated with. One uni could be great for law and shit for science, for example. Do your homework ;)

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)