Confused - Rank and School :) (1 Viewer)

WorryWartCob

HSC
The ranks and the school you go to
have not a major impact on the atar your receive right?

so i came 2/30 in business. but if i did bad and got 10/30 ranking
my hsc mark for business would drop??

and say i came 10/30 but my whole cohort averaged 75 raw, then i would benefit...??

thanks if you can help!

dean94

HSC
It's not this easy but this is what one of my teachers told me -
I'm 2nd in Food Tech atm, and if i completely screw up a HSC exam and i was like 10th in the year and the person who got 2nd (total fluke obviously) has a worse assessment rank than me... then i would get their mark for my exam (or very close to it) because my assessment average was so high. Assessment rank is the utmost of importance ;)

That's all i know...

funkygirl59

HSC
It took me a while to get this but now I do.

Your final mark for a subject is made up of 50% HSC mark + 50% assessment mark.

HSC Mark:
- this comes from what you get in the HSC exam.
- If you get 90 final HSC mark (after scaling etc.) that contributes 45 (as in halved cos, hsc mark is worth 50%).
So you have 45 so far. with me?

Assesment mark:
- this mark is where your rank matters.
- If you rank 2nd, whatever the 2nd HSC mark in your course for your school is, becomes your assessment component of your mark.
- i.e. if you got 90%, but the 2nd rank for the hsc exam was actually 98%, then you get this as your assessment mark. So that contributes half again (so 49)

So you get 49 (assessment) + 45 (hsc mark) = 94 overall.

In that sense, your cohort matters for your assesment mark, because you want to make sure that whoever gets your rank (if it's not you) does well, so it contributes well to your overall. does that help?

HSC
It's not this easy but this is what one of my teachers told me -
I'm 2nd in Food Tech atm, and if i completely screw up a HSC exam and i was like 10th in the year and the person who got 2nd (total fluke obviously) has a worse assessment rank than me... then i would get their mark for my exam (or very close to it) because my assessment average was so high. Assessment rank is the utmost of importance ;)

That's all i know...
Incorrect. You would get their mark for your MODERATED INTERNAL ASSESSMENT MARK. How do i know this? I read the uac scaling report :)

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
You always keep your own exam mark.

The school sends in a series of marks from which the BOS determines ranks AND relative gaps.

After the exam the BOS gives the topped ranked student at your school the top exam mark as their internal assessment mark. They do the same thing with the bottom exam mark and give that mark to the bottom ranked student. Then they total the exam marks from your school to set the total marks they can give to the class. Now they have the range of marks they can use and the total marks they can allocate to your school for the internal marks. This is where the ranks and the gaps between the ranks is important because that is what is used to determine the internal marks that the BOS awards to each student.

You do NOT necessarily just swap exam marks e.g. if the second ranked assessment mark was 2 marks behind first the assessment mark will remain about two behind 1st even if the second exam mark is 10 marks behind - otherwise it wouldn't be fair.

bikinigal

HSC
N/A
Moderation is applied to RAW exam marks, is that correct? I ask as my son is ranked 2nd in MX2 - about 20 marks behind the genius that is ranked 1st. However, even if they score raw exam marks about 20 marks apart, MX2 aligns so well that they would end up with a HSC mark that is only 3 or 4 apart. For example, an 80/120 raw aligns to about 92 and a 98/120 aligns to about 95. Am I on the right track (with my reasoning, not my alignment predictions - though the rule of thumb, I've been told, - for MX2 E4 marks - is 5 raw marks are equiv. to one mark increments). NB: there is only 3 students in this class - the other student would be lucky to score 10-20/120 raw & is sitting on a school assessment of about 25-30.

Cheers for any help

2011_

HSC
Moderation is applied to RAW exam marks, is that correct? I ask as my son is ranked 2nd in MX2 - about 20 marks behind the genius that is ranked 1st. However, even if they score raw exam marks about 20 marks apart, MX2 aligns so well that they would end up with a HSC mark that is only 3 or 4 apart. For example, an 80/120 raw aligns to about 92 and a 98/120 aligns to about 95. Am I on the right track (with my reasoning, not my alignment predictions - though the rule of thumb, I've been told, - for MX2 E4 marks - is 5 raw marks are equiv. to one mark increments). NB: there is only 3 students in this class - the other student would be lucky to score 10-20/120 raw & is sitting on a school assessment of about 25-30.

Cheers for any help
I am no expert but I think you are right, moderation is applied to the raw marks.

User12

HSC
It took me a while to get this but now I do.

Your final mark for a subject is made up of 50% HSC mark + 50% assessment mark.

HSC Mark:
- this comes from what you get in the HSC exam.
- If you get 90 final HSC mark (after scaling etc.) that contributes 45 (as in halved cos, hsc mark is worth 50%).
So you have 45 so far. with me?

Assesment mark:
- this mark is where your rank matters.
- If you rank 2nd, whatever the 2nd HSC mark in your course for your school is, becomes your assessment component of your mark.
- i.e. if you got 90%, but the 2nd rank for the hsc exam was actually 98%, then you get this as your assessment mark. So that contributes half again (so 49)

So you get 49 (assessment) + 45 (hsc mark) = 94 overall.

In that sense, your cohort matters for your assesment mark, because you want to make sure that whoever gets your rank (if it's not you) does well, so it contributes well to your overall. does that help?
I have heard this exact thing as well, can anyone else confirm this?? Thanks!

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
No it isn't - the internal assessment marks are NOT a straight swap of the exam mark of the person with the rank - so 2nd ranked person doesn't necessarily get the 2nd exam mark as his internal mark. They get an assessment mark that reflects the gap between them and those ranked either side of them.

krnofdrg

Mq Law Student :)
HSC
Uni Grad
Well for Ancient History, I was ranked 3rd internally but I ended up with the highest external mark in my cohort(I killed my hsc exam), due to the small gap interval (1 or 2 marks) between me and the students on 2nd and 1st.

This was the case for business studies also, I was ranked 5th internally but due to my strong performance i ended up coming 3rd.

As mentioned ^^ The 1st person doesn't necessariyl get the highest mark....

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
If you look at the first person's assessment mark - it would be that same as your exam marks but your assessment mark reflects the gaps between you and first.

How fair would it have been if, as you say you 'killed the exam' but the 3rd highest exam mark was 70 and so that had become your assessment mark even though you were only a couple of marks behind 1st? If it is a straight swap that is what would have happened but because it isn't you pulled up your owm marks and ranks due to your own efforts - well done.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)