Confused in General (1 Viewer)

HSC
University looks exciting but at the same time it is seriously overwhelming what I don't understand is all this terminology like bachelor degree, broadening units, complementary units, core units, electives, graduate certificate, graduate diploma, honors, major. I guess I really struggle understanding how all these things fit into your degree and how they intertwine together, if someone could explain it and how it works I would be very grateful :D

Queenroot

I complete the Squar3
HSC
N/A
Bachelor's degree/undergraduate degree is the course you will be studying at a university/college. Like Commerce, science, medicine, law etc.
A major is a certain area/discipline of the degree you are doing. So e.g. If I am doing a science degree I can have a major in Chemistry. Or I can do a major in Biology, or I can do a major in Geology etc.
Core units are compulsory subjects that you have to take to complete your degree and major.
Electives are subjects you can choose to complete your degree.
Diploma's are usually done at TAFE but can be done through uni as well. They are required for some jobs that you can't get with a university degree.
Honours is a year after you've finished your undergraduate degree, where you can write a thesis/do your own research/project. However you have to usually be really talented and have high marks to do an honours.

Kolmias

HSC
Also, a graduate certificate is a certificate which requires the completion of a bachelor degree for an enrollment and can take as long as a term to a year.

A graduate diploma is similar (it also requires a bachelor's degree) however it goes for a longer period of time.

I hope this clears up any questions you might have. If you have anymore, please don't refrain from posting in this thread again. :)

JT145

ON is my homeboy
HSC
University looks exciting but at the same time it is seriously overwhelming what I don't understand is all this terminology like bachelor degree, broadening units, complementary units, core units, electives, graduate certificate, graduate diploma, honors, major. I guess I really struggle understanding how all these things fit into your degree and how they intertwine together, if someone could explain it and how it works I would be very grateful :D
im in 2nd year this year and i have no idea what half of those terms mean

HSC
Yeah it is a UWA thing probably why it is so confusing compared to other university structures i've seen

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)