Confused (again) (1 Viewer)

Menomaths

Exaı̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸lted Member
HSC
I'm going to memorize my English aos essay, but I don't understand how I can use it to answer the question they're going to ask. My essays on the paradoxical nature of belonging (i.e how it can be bad or good) but what do I do if they ask something like...How does Billy belong to Uranus (something to do with belonging with place)? What do I do then? My essay has got belonging to place....But it's also got belonging to person, self etc. I can't just chop my essay down and use the two paragraphs on belonging to place cause that'll make my essay like 400 words.

Halp :(!

SuperMike96

HSC
I usually just memorise quotes and main techniques. It allows me to react reasonably well to the question. I think it's unlikely they will ask a general question that allows you to use your essay. It seems like they like to specify certain aspects of the rubric.

I dunno man. I'd try learning quotes/techniques that are easily adapted rather than memorising a rigid essay.

Frostbitten

HSC
I usually just memorise quotes and main techniques. It allows me to react reasonably well to the question. I think it's unlikely they will ask a general question that allows you to use your essay. It seems like they like to specify certain aspects of the rubric.

I dunno man. I'd try learning quotes/techniques that are easily adapted rather than memorising a rigid essay.
Same here. Just techniques, examples and ideas. I just remember more than I normally would for a pre-made essay and then put it all together on the spot.

Menomaths

Exaı̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸lted Member
HSC
But how do all these state rankers do it?

Randox

HSC
N/A
probs memorise 3-5 essays for aos and combine on the spot to fit qn

TylahJane

HSC
Well, I would say that it isn't that hard to do. For example, if it was place, you can interpret that how ever you would like. Place doesn't just have to be physically you know? It could be someones place in society, place in a relationship ect ect ect And the same for things like relationships, it doesn't just have to be relationship to people, it could be relationship with place, relationship with world around you ect ect ect. Basically what I am saying is, you just have to manipulate the question to best suit you. Your response will be more sophisticated if you can take a unique viewpoint to the question. If everyone is writing about physical place and you talk about it not as just a physical concept you will stand out. That being said I just memorise a theme and than three quotes with techniques that would support that theme. That is what works for me. But if you feel more confident memorising a whole essay, than I would do that.

Queenroot

I complete the Squar3
HSC
N/A
Well, I would say that it isn't that hard to do. For example, if it was place, you can interpret that how ever you would like. Place doesn't just have to be physically you know? It could be someones place in society, place in a relationship ect ect ect And the same for things like relationships, it doesn't just have to be relationship to people, it could be relationship with place, relationship with world around you ect ect ect. Basically what I am saying is, you just have to manipulate the question to best suit you. Your response will be more sophisticated if you can take a unique viewpoint to the question. If everyone is writing about physical place and you talk about it not as just a physical concept you will stand out. That being said I just memorise a theme and than three quotes with techniques that would support that theme. That is what works for me. But if you feel more confident memorising a whole essay, than I would do that.
This. Remember, English is about how artistic you can be with your bullshit.

Crobat

#tyrannosaurusREKT
HSC
The easiest thing to do with adapting in Belonging is to always approach it with a metaphorical belonging to the concept in the question if necessary, as well as to identify that the other aspects of Belonging are interconnected, i.e. Belonging to society helps to lead to belonging to place, not belonging to place can lead to alienation to community and society too. It's good your essay is on both belonging and not belonging, so really you're already half way there :haha:

NWO

HSC
No lol. HSC is a trick. Ok, man listen lol. It doesnt matter what ever they ask. you still have to mention all the aspects of belonging answer ANSWER the question. For example, if they ask for identity.

Sure, Billy's sense of belonging is affected by his identity as well as relationships, connections to place etc. So basically, you do know its about belonging. Just word it differently GL man

NWO

HSC
But, dont make generalised statements that dont answer the question or gg

NWO

HSC
If they ask for identity, which i think they would, since they havent asked in how many years..? 5?
If it asks for identity, you talk about how hes homeless, low self esteem etc
If it asks for experiences, even easier lmao, experiences alienation, isolation etc
If it asks for connections to places, Westfield Creek, home
If it asks for relationships with people thats easy: home,school, the hobo, caitlin
What else can they ask? Nothing much. Thats y they gonna change the prescribed texts in 2 years lol. I hope i ace this! :XD

NWO

HSC
Learn as many quotes as you can. Learn quotes from all aspects of belonging. 48 hours and counting.

Web Addict

HSC
If they ask for identity, which i think they would, since they havent asked in how many years..? 5?
If it asks for identity, you talk about how hes homeless, low self esteem etc
If it asks for experiences, even easier lmao, experiences alienation, isolation etc
If it asks for connections to places, Westfield Creek, home
If it asks for relationships with people thats easy: home,school, the hobo, caitlin
What else can they ask? Nothing much. Thats y they gonna change the prescribed texts in 2 years lol. I hope i ace this! :XD
Cool. Another person doing The Simple Gift.

By the way, this thread has been really useful.

leesh95

HSC
I would say look at the rubric for belonging and try to imagine how you would mould your essay to each of the points asked. I had to change my essay because I realized that there were some things I couldn't answer with my generic ones.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)