Confused about this whole leaving early thing. (1 Viewer)

heyfeebs

HSC
General maths is most likely my 12th unit, and I really don't see the point in me staying a whole 3 hours for the exam tomorrow if it's not even going to count towards my ATAR.
If I leave early after an hour in, and I know heaps of people have done it for other subjects, would it be counted as a non-attempt? Would it affect my ATAR at all..?

M

MichelleV

No; It's don't believe it's counted as a non attempt. I don't see why it would. Its stupid to make people 2 and a half hours (not 3 in the case on general) for a subject if they finish the questions quickly and are happy with their answers.

Isho

Banned
HSC
N/A
Why leave early? You've kept the unit for 2 years, you might as well take a solid attempt at the test by winging it (if you haven't studied for it at all). Don't jeopardise other people in your cohort by not giving your best at it. At least take an attempt.

If you didn't do anything and left the paper blank and left after an hour, then it'd be a non-attempt. But if you write bs all over it and actually try to get marks, then no, won't be a non attempt.

Chrissiee

Frost Yourselves
HSC
if you really don't think it'll count towards your 10 units then no it wont affect anything. Although you should really just try, you've been going to class for two years doing it, at least colour in random multiple choices its not that bad.

HSC
Uni Grad
It would be counted as an attempt, and hence your paper will be marked.
IMO DO NOT leave within an hour of the exam. Try as hard as possible imo, because you could possibly stuff up music I, which is next week. General could possibly be your 10th unit.

Not leaving and trying as hard as possible could lead to less dragging down of the cohort, so there you go. By staying and attempting and doing as much as possible, you contribute to better marks for the school and ultimately, yourself.

How long do you finish a general maths exam anyway?

heyfeebs

HSC
So would I still have to at least finish the paper then leave for it to not be counted as a non-attempt?

jessxxxr

HSC
you should honestly stay and try your hardest, like someone already said, you can't predict how well you'll do in whatever subjects you have left, this is like my case, i was confident that general maths wouldn't count towards my atar but then i didn't do as well as i wanted in my tourism exam so i am extremely worried as to which will be counted and going to try do extremely well tomorrow , especially considering they're both not great in terms of scaling, so i don't want to end up with 2 shitty subject marks

heyfeebs

HSC
It would be counted as an attempt, and hence your paper will be marked.
IMO DO NOT leave within an hour of the exam. Try as hard as possible imo, because you could possibly stuff up music I, which is next week. General could possibly be your 10th unit.

Not leaving and trying as hard as possible could lead to less dragging down of the cohort, so there you go. By staying and attempting and doing as much as possible, you contribute to better marks for the school and ultimately, yourself.

How long do you finish a general maths exam anyway?
I usually finish just in time. I'm thinking of still attempting to finish it, but I really doubt I'll even reach 75... maths was never my subject. Either way, my cohort will get scaled down, our year sucks at maths... general, anyway. I'm coming 8th with a 63%.

heyfeebs

HSC
you should honestly stay and try your hardest, like someone already said, you can't predict how well you'll do in whatever subjects you have left, this is like my case, i was confident that general maths wouldn't count towards my atar but then i didn't do as well as i wanted in my tourism exam so i am extremely worried as to which will be counted and going to try do extremely well tomorrow , especially considering they're both not great in terms of scaling, so i don't want to end up with 2 shitty subject marks
I've been thinking about this throughout the whole year, between maths and music actually. Primarily because of the fact that music is a shit scaling subject, so if I screw up music I'm definitely not hitting an ATAR of 80 at least.
But I've got Ancient History this week as well, and that will definitely require more of my time.. ugh I regret picking Ancient

jessxxxr

HSC
I've been thinking about this throughout the whole year, between maths and music actually. Primarily because of the fact that music is a shit scaling subject, so if I screw up music I'm definitely not hitting an ATAR of 80 at least.
But I've got Ancient History this week as well, and that will definitely require more of my time.. ugh I regret picking Ancient
ohhhh i feel your pain!!! i have ancient too, and im counting on that to boost my atar a lot since its my best subject, but now i have to spend a whole day studying for maths instead because it might end up counting, and everything's just a mess

tutorsaustblog

HSC
Its pefectly fine to leave earlier. Like you said, there is no point sitting for an hour waiting for everyone to finish. I would try to redo some of the questions you thought were harder to make sure you get a consistent answer - you have a better chance of getting a better score. :)

heyfeebs

HSC
ohhhh i feel your pain!!! i have ancient too, and im counting on that to boost my atar a lot since its my best subject, but now i have to spend a whole day studying for maths instead because it might end up counting, and everything's just a mess
ugh I know :( I hate how my exams are so congested.. one exam after another... next week its music and then legal right the next day.

heyfeebs

HSC
Its pefectly fine to leave earlier. Like you said, there is no point sitting for an hour waiting for everyone to finish. I would try to redo some of the questions you thought were harder to make sure you get a consistent answer - you have a better chance of getting a better score. :)
Looks like I'll be attempting it then, might as well right? I haven't touched a single maths book today.. I might just go over some past papers after going through my ancient notes..
:)

jessxxxr

HSC
ugh I know :( I hate how my exams are so congested.. one exam after another... next week its music and then legal right the next day.
ahhh bos was cruel to us haha :( mine in the first week was the worst, english1, next day english2 as well as sac on that day, then tourism on thursday, but then i have an 8 day gap from ancient to geo. so thats a positive haha :D

HSC
Uni Grad
I usually finish just in time. I'm thinking of still attempting to finish it, but I really doubt I'll even reach 75... maths was never my subject. Either way, my cohort will get scaled down, our year sucks at maths... general, anyway. I'm coming 8th with a 63%.
You should still try anyway, even then, getting a 75 in general is a lot better than getting 65 in general as your overall mark.

HelenaJean

HSC
No, there will be no harm in leaving early (half my class did it for every test; could hardly write their name on the page) but do your best anyway. If you finish with time to spare, then leave. You might as well spend another hour of your life on the subject on the off chance you stuff up music.

i'm also sitting Ancient on thursday, feeling awful about it and convinced i'm going to embarrass myself but i'll still sit the entire exam and do my best, only leaving if i've done all i can and it there's pleanty of time to spare (which happens when you dunno what you're talking about).

YOU CAN DO IT!

Exotic

HSC
Im in a similar situation. Ive got 13 units with general maths definitely being part of those 3 units that wont count in the end. I didnt study but still put in a decent effort and finished the paper with 40 minutes left. I really didnt wanna be in there so just left earlier.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)