Confused about having 11 units... (1 Viewer)

Aliyas

HSC
I read some threads that explained what happens with your ATAR if you have 11 units but I didn't really understand, could someone explain it to me simply?

My subjects are in my sig. I have 11 units in total. But physics is easily my worst subject, I don't know if I'll even pass it...so since I'll have the worst mark in my HSC in that, will it not be counted in my ATAR since I have 10 other units? Or will only half of the mark be counted since it's a 2 unit subject? Or will the entire mark count and only a 1 unit subject won't be counted?

God, I'm so confused. I hope that made sense to people. :uhoh:

michaeljennings

HSC
I read some threads that explained what happens with your ATAR if you have 11 units but I didn't really understand, could someone explain it to me simply?

My subjects are in my sig. I have 11 units in total. But physics is easily my worst subject, I don't know if I'll even pass it...so since I'll have the worst mark in my HSC in that, will it not be counted in my ATAR since I have 10 other units? Or will only half of the mark be counted since it's a 2 unit subject? Or will the entire mark count and only a 1 unit subject won't be counted?

God, I'm so confused. I hope that made sense to people. :uhoh:
If physics is your worst subject by the end year 12, then one unit of physics will count towards your atar and the other one wont

michaeljennings

HSC
Oh, alright, thanks :)
But if your extension 1 english is your worst subject then it wont count and physics will count for two units if that makes sense. Basically which ever subject you do worst at will not be counted, but if its a 2 unit subject then one of the units will count and the other will not

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
After UAC has scaled your results they calculate your best 2 units of English and then your next best 8 units. Each two unit course is divided into two equal amounts e.g. 2 Units of Maths could scale to two lots of 45 while Ext 1 Maths might scale 1 lot of 44. After they have scaled the units calculated them as marks out of 50 they add the two best units of English and the next 8 best units to get a mark out of 500. The top xxxxx number of students will then get an ATAR of 99.5. Physics scales very well so don't be surprised if both units of Physics counts and some other subject only has one unit count but remember this - UAC will work out what gives you the best ATAR. I have had students in the past confused when they find out that their Band 6 subject hasn't counted to their ATAR but their high Band 4 one has but that is simply due to scaling.

Aliyas

HSC
After UAC has scaled your results they calculate your best 2 units of English and then your next best 8 units. Each two unit course is divided into two equal amounts e.g. 2 Units of Maths could scale to two lots of 45 while Ext 1 Maths might scale 1 lot of 44. After they have scaled the units calculated them as marks out of 50 they add the two best units of English and the next 8 best units to get a mark out of 500. The top xxxxx number of students will then get an ATAR of 99.5. Physics scales very well so don't be surprised if both units of Physics counts and some other subject only has one unit count but remember this - UAC will work out what gives you the best ATAR. I have had students in the past confused when they find out that their Band 6 subject hasn't counted to their ATAR but their high Band 4 one has but that is simply due to scaling.
Ahhh, okay, thanks for that detailed explanation, I think I get it now.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)