Conflicting ideas (1 Viewer)

Bleckers

HSC
N/A
Does anyone have the Allan Fowler textbook(Heinemann), and the Samual Davis textbook (Parramatta). In each book their ideas about Incremental Compilation and Operational Feasibility are confliting, here are the page references:

Incremental Compilation:
Allan Fowler p152
Samual Davis p182

Operational Feasibility:
Allan Fowler p48
Samual Davis p83

sunny

meh.
HSC
Could you post the sections that conflict?

hornetfig

HSC
if in doubt, follow Davis.

But I'm sure even Sam acknowledges there are shortcomings in his book, so yes let's see the "conflicts"...

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
It is possible that neither is inccorect as such, too, but if you could quote the bit from Fowler's book whcih conflicts, it'd be appreciated.

Bleckers

HSC
N/A
Sorry guys ive been busy studying, alright here are the sections:

Davis - Incremental Compilation: The aim of incremental compilation is to reduce the time spent in recompiling source code. Large software products involving a large team of developers can take a significant time to compile. Incremental compilers aim to reduce the translation time by only recompiling those parts of the code that have changed since the last compile took place.

Fowler - Incremetal Compilation: When a program is run using incremental compilation the commonly executed routines are translated into machine code and stored. The program itself is translated using an interpreter, but when these compiled routines are needed they are run from the stored code rather than being re-translated each time the code is reached. This speeds up the process of running the interpreted prgogram while keeping the advantages of and interpreter.

Fowler - Operational considerations: The purpose of a new computer system is to meet the needs of the organisation. In meeting these needs, the new system will have some form of impact on the organisation, from management through to the direct users.

Davis - Operational considerations: revolve around whether the software developer has the expertise and resources to complete the task.

I called hsc advice line and they said operational consideration must be answered to the context of the question, but if they ask a question from one book, then how would I know if it was the other (if i never had the other).

And also with incremental compilation, the lady said that they can either be an interpreter and/or a compiler.

neuro_logik

HSC
Bleckers said:
And also with incremental compilation, the lady said that they can either be an interpreter and/or a compiler.
Incremental compilation compiles source code line by line into object code, and if there are errors in certain lines, only those certain lines which have been corrected are then recompiled rather than the whole source code.

Thats what I learn't

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)