Conflict in Indochina QUOTES (1 Viewer)

sunjet

Hip-Hop Saved My Life
HSC
Looking for some historian quotes that can be used to assess/evaluate etc.
Anything on the entire topic, l'll reply with any i found as well so everyone has some good quotes for trials.

HSC
I have some

here is one of Ho Chi Minh's famous quote:

"không có gì quý hơn độc l*p v* tự do"-nothing is more precious than independence and freedom (that is probably the most famous Ho Chi Minh''s quote)

HCM: i have a secret weapon, it is call nationalism....

General Westmoreland: "quitters never win and winers never quit"

Pres. Johnson: "i dont want to be the first President to lose a war"

THis topic is pretty easy for me, since im a Viet... :D i can remember a lot of Vietnamese historiography..........

Soq

HSC
confucius say "You go to jail bad boy"

c_james

Viva La Merchandise!
HSC
On Diem: “A puppet who pulled his own strings”American official in Saigon
-
On Tet: “The watershed of Tet, however, was not in South Vietnam but in the United States, where the American people …had lost their stomach for an inconclusive bloodletting without any measure of success.”Hannah, N.
-
The peasants “sympathised with neither Diem nor the Vietcong, only leaning to the side that harassed them less.” Karnow, S.
-
According to Tuchman, the explosion of the Tet offensive caused American opinion against the war and against the President to [gather] force swiftly”.
-
Even the media opposed the Tet offensive. Upon Walter Cronkite’s return from the “burned, blasted and weary land” still smoking from Tet, he described the refugees, estimated at 470,000, living in “unbelievable squalor”.
-
“Withdrawal of public support proved the undoing of an Executive that believed it could conduct limited war without engaging the national will of a democracy”Tuchman, B.

paper cup

pamplemousse
HSC
The most memorable for me in this topic were LBJ's :rolleyes: haha you can see what's coming

'when you've got them by the balls the hearts and minds will follow'
'I didn't just screw HCM I cut off his pecker'
'I left the woman I really loved - the Great Society - to get involved with that bitch of a war on the other side of the world'

You can use those to illustrate how America saw the war in terms of brute, military force instead of giving attention to the political aspects, and how the war impacted on America domestically (though the question will probably be on Indochina itself, not America)

Oh and Cao Ky, I remembered this one especially - bottom of the barrel he may have been, but there is palpable wisdom in his statement that 'you can't put a Western mask on an Eastern face, the more you try, the more you fail' (I'm not sure if they were his exact words, it's in the Cantwell book - words to that effect)

cimbom

HSC
.... I haven't completed all of my secondary- source historiography stuff yet, so here are the texts i'm using. Very very interesting conflict of interpretation...

Peter MacDonald- The Victor In Vietnam: Giap
Michael Lind- Vietanam: The Necessary War (Conservative, US focus)
William Shawcross- The Quality of Mercy
Neil Sheehan- A Bright Shining Lie

If you can find Michael Lind's book use it. He says some crazy opinionated stuff. I'll put some quotes here later...

05er

HSC
Orrrr, you could blow all that 'reading' and just hijack the gist of what they say in the blurb on www.amazon.com.

1) Search for the topic (e.g - Indochina)
2) Pick the best books
3) Read the blurb
4) Write down its gist, and
5) Jot down its details.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)