Conflict In Indochina & Pacific (1 Viewer)

~V~

Gold Member?
HSC
N/A
Just out of interest...

How many schools studying Conflict in Indochina or Conflict in the Pacific are using the 'Contested Spaces' textbooks By Thomas Cantwell?

Do you like them??

Sarah168

London Calling
HSC
I'm studying indochina but we're not up to that yet...what are the most popular books for indochina, do u know?

Ziff

HSC
N/A
We're doing Conflict in the Pacific and the textbook is Dr. Cantwell's but we haven't had it issued to us yet. Geez, it must be a big advantage to have the bloke who wrote the book as your teacher! Not to mention a big advantage for him that he's your teacher so he gets the royalties from the school buying the textbook!

I only get to experience such joys and thrills when I go down to ANU next year :p

braindrainedAsh

Journalist
HSC
My teacher was Ian Sutherland who wrote the Conflict in Indochina textbook... so obviously we used it lol. We also used Contested Spaces though.

Sarah168

London Calling
HSC
yay! just got my textbook today in advance (considering my class is barely halfway through Germany and i freaked out yesterday so i marched up and demanded the book today :rolleyes: ) and its the contested spaces one...:D

Ziff

HSC
N/A
Wow the Conflict in the Pacific book is so shiny and new. If only I was stoned! Then I could really enjoy this!

Around page 120 (edit: pg129) - "How to tell a Jap from a Chinese" propaganda poster. I laughed so hard, it's so racist.

Last edited:

Sarah168

London Calling
HSC
Does anybody else notice that the beginning of the Indochina elective overlaps alot with the prelims indochina topic? We did Indochina for prelims and half of this stuff sounds familiar...hmm the yr 12 topic probably goes into more detail but Im glad we did indochina in prelims nevertheless :D

Tenille

the one & only
HSC
Originally posted by Ziff
Wow the Conflict in the Pacific book is so shiny and new. If only I was stoned! Then I could really enjoy this!

Around page 120 - "How to tell a Jap from a Chinese" propaganda poster. I laughed so hard, it's so racist.

why am i not surprised...

~V~

Gold Member?
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by Sarah168
Does anybody else notice that the beginning of the Indochina elective overlaps alot with the prelims indochina topic? We did Indochina for prelims and half of this stuff sounds familiar...hmm the yr 12 topic probably goes into more detail but Im glad we did indochina in prelims nevertheless :D
Yea! I think the Prelim course was a very good background to it... We are doing Germany too for the national study and last year we did Russia which overlaps a lot too

Sarah168

London Calling
HSC
Originally posted by ~V~
Yea! I think the Prelim course was a very good background to it... We are doing Germany too for the national study and last year we did Russia which overlaps a lot too
how does Russia overlap with Germany?

Sarah168

London Calling
HSC
We didnt cover WWI in the russia prelims at all!! the only time we ventured into WWi was was the last topic, something to do with factors leading to WWI! As far as I can see, the only relation would be that the Tsar was somehow related to Wilhelm the 2nd or some shit. Other than that, it was all on the Russian Revolution and the Tsar's familywith teeny scraps of info on WWI on the side :p

Last edited:

~V~

Gold Member?
HSC
N/A
Oh we studied the Great Patriotic War (41-43) and the battle of Stalingrad in depth, and why Russia won. So to study the Russian strengths, you must too study the German weaknesses! For that we did a little comparison on Hitler and Stalin, (and Hitler's obession with foreign policy, his hatred of Russia and how that 'broke his back') but of course we were focusing on Stalin. It is also good to know about Stalin and his totalitarian regime in making small comparisons to Hitler's imposed dictatorship... or so my teacher tells me :)

laracroft

yeha were doing Japan as our national study...and it flows along straight into conflict in the pacific, no gap whatsoever so its good background on the Japanses stance in the conflict, etc...
those doing the US as their national study will also have background info an the US policies, etc

Lukeo7

is there a cheat to the indochina topic like there is for albert speer? you know how you pretty much know what they are going to ask for albert speer, is that the same for indochina? will they only usually focus on anti-war or something specific?
it seems like there's heaps to learn... why didnt people tell me history would be this hard!

braindrainedAsh

Journalist
HSC
There's no cheat for Indochina. They can ask anything in the elective. You need to know key features, groups, concepts.... everything.

Skillo

is in a theatre near you
In my blue-light backstage hovel, the theatre.
HSC
Originally posted by braindrainedAsh
My teacher was Ian Sutherland who wrote the Conflict in Indochina textbook... so obviously we used it lol. We also used Contested Spaces though.
ME TOO! But then he retired...:(
Hehehe. Go AHS! Ahem. Umm, yeah, Ian Sutherland's 'Conflict in IndoChina' textbook is great (make sure you use the latest one) so when Sutho taught us we used that, cross-referenced to Cantwells and then for exams/tests referred us onto the HTA Modern History Study Guide.

Indochina is by far the best unit so far, WW1 reminded me of year 7 and don't get me started on the USA. GRRRR.

braindrainedAsh

Journalist
HSC
go AHS! go Sutho!!!

Is the USA really boring? Maybe we were lucky we did Germany...

Skillo

is in a theatre near you
In my blue-light backstage hovel, the theatre.
HSC
Hmmm. No, not so much the unit...well...yes...the unit. A lot of people have complained about it...or did they complain about the teaching of the unit? I honestly haven't a clue, I just zone out, copy notes, and then happen to get good marks...lol

P.S. Go Sutho!!! Hmm. G..o...umm...AHS? *second thoughts on my patriotic outburst of above* LOL

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)