Conflict anyone? (1 Viewer)

Fire_and_Ice

Has anyone had any major conflicts with their teacher?

I have, and it is all his fault that I now have no time left to do anything! Instead of being supportive and encouraging, he has cut me down everytime I have handed in something I have written. I have reached the point where I cannot write something without being paranoid about what the s***head will think. And everything I do write he hacks up.
Guess what he said to me- the biggest insult I have ever been given- " It's a lot like Mills and Boon, perhaps you should study that closely."
Its not even a love story GOD DAMNIT!:mad:

I have no passion for writing anymore. I never used to write for anyone but myself, but now I can't even do that because my confidence is screwed. It was the one outlet I had, and now it is gone.
So now I don't care about this subject. Not in the slightest.

Anyone feel the same?:(

johnson

a lack of colour
HSC
hey fire and ice...its a pity you hate writing so much now.

but as i said, it'll prolly pass for me, im sure you'll forget this bullshit in a few omnths time and think of it as "oh that english teacher is a pretentious prick who doesn't know shit about writing". ha.

i SORTA have the same thing as u. like i don't _think_ that my 4u teacher hates me...but she certainly hates my writing. i did an entire script a few months back and she totally ripped it to shreds...i mean it wasn't top notch, i had written it the night before in onee of those "im in a creative mood i can't stop now" modes, and she gave it back with red marks everywhere and not a SINGLE good comment. not a SINGLE one, like not even 'okay idea' or anything. so i was reeeeally demotivated after that.

so that is why i am not speaking to her atm. i changed my idea a couple of weeks before trials...only started writing it today...and am totally fucked of course, but i don't thikn that i particularly want her to read my script...im too scared. im gonna give it to the drama teacher instead.

Fire_and_Ice

My teacher has just been a bastard all year. And whenever I confront him about it, he acts all innocent and treats me well in front of my class, but as soon as his comments are out of earshot of others, he just completely disses me.

My 3unit teacher loves my writing. She encourages me and everything. But HE hates it and he hates me.

My parents don't believe me either. He wrote a nice comment on my report and now my mum doesn't believe me that he a bastard. And it's not just me.
He did the exact same thing with my cousin last year- everything she did he hated.
I have 12 units anyway.

dissonance

Geez, calm down everyone. Just because your mentors have red all over your writing doesn't mean they hate your writing -- it probably means that they are trying really hard to help make it better. Do you think that at the age of 17-18 that your writing is flawless. I mean if he looked at it and didn't write any critcisims or suggestions I'd be more worried cause then your either fucking brillient or more likely he just doesn't give a crap about you or your major work.

Admittedly they should have *something* positive to say about your work, but remember - a mentor suppose to go over your work and write in how they think it could be made better.

My mentor absolutely hacks my work apart as well, but I'm glad he does because most of the time the suggestions he has make the work better, or adhere more strictly to the guidelines. You should be more motivated after that stuff cause now you know exactly what you have to do to make your work that much better.

Fire_and_Ice

Excuse me? I know that my writing is not brilliant. I appreciate constructive critcisim and all bt....you hae no idea what it is like with this guy. It's not that he hacks it up- that doesnt bother me. It's the fact that he cannot deal with the issue that I am writing about and he constantly says stuff like " This prose peice was very dissapointing. I would expect much more than the standard dribble about a person overcomming a hard situation." When another couple of teachers will like it.
And the Mills and Boon comment he mentioned below. His comments are not encouraging, they make you feel like shit and that everything you do is utter crap, which it cannot be seeing as other teachers mark my writing good (meaning 16-20 out of 20).
He and I conflict badly- and that is it. He hates me and I hate him. And he has completely screwed my love for writing and my other English teachers have commented that the flair has disapeared from my writing.

So shoot me. I hate the course.

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
Don't let one teacher ruin your HSC. Get over it.

dissonance

yeah, if its a big problem just go start talking to other english teachers about your work instead of him. If the relationship between you two is how you describe it I don't think your current mentor would loose too much sleep over it.

snowball

u guys are just lucky.

i have had 2 meetings with my mentor this year. the first was the day before my proposal (yeah, the one we did all the way back in 2001). he told me my idea was 'interesting'.

the 2nd (and last) meeting, was a month ago, when he handed back my last assessment.

he refuses to edit anyone's work, because that means we've been 'given help'. i envy every one of u here who tell me that u have red marks.

i simply get a mark out of 20, and a possible 'well done'.

happily enough, i have 6 more days until this fker is due, and i havent started. 0 words out of a possible 8000.

Snowball

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
I just added a 'survival guide' to the Extension 2 section on the website - it may be of use for some of you.

bookboy18

Knight of the PIGhood
Man, if you really liked writing so much then critisism should meen nothing to you.

Just think, what happens when you take a story to an editer ......... he tears it to shreds and sends you away. They rip it apart until its imacculate and I think your teacher is fine for doing what he did. HE IS TRYING TO HELP YOU GET YOUR BEST OUT OF IT.

Keep going until yours is imaculate too.

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
My teacher is mad, im sorry that you had such a bad experience with yours

Use the put downs to fuel your passion to show the bastard your 50/50 mark :D

CoYLiE

our teacher told us "not to expect a good mark" a week before it was due.... that kind of put us off... especially the guy who topped advanced, extension 1 and extension 2... got the clean sweep... yet he was still told that! so that kind of cause a bit of conflict...

elfgal

i never had any of those probs coz i showed fuck all to my teacher until the last week..lol...ok, so that was dumb.
i wanted it picked to bits, but i was too scared to show it to anyone, ESPECIALLY her, coz she taught me since yr 7 and had a really high opinion of my writing and i thought my major work would be enough to kill any of her confidence in me..so i was my own editor/mentor/teacher/whatever....i guess in the end it turned out ok, i guess - she said she loved it, so hopefully that's not just her opinion and the bos will think the same (although i think my chances there are slim...)
i'm so jealous of all you ppl who managed to find mentors - i don't know one single writing type person (outside of school teachers) :(

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)