condensation polymer (1 Viewer)

mitsui

мιтэuι
HSC
:confused: i am a bit confused by the dot pts regarding condensation polymers.

eg. 1st one said "explain wat is meant by a condensation polymer"..which i defined, and gave the example of cellulose from glucose..

i dont get the 2nd one, where it says "describe the reaction involved"? :mad1: isnt the same thing as the first one? "elimination of water"?
or do u have to give other reactions as such the amide link??

:confused: :confused: :confused:

thx!

Riviet

HSC
N/A
I basically did a combined dot point of the two. The first bit asks for just a definition and the second dot point asks for a description of the reaction that occurs.

This is what I had:

Condensation polymers are polymers that form by the elimination of a small molecule (often water and the reaction is also known as dehydration) when pairs of monomer molecules join together.
The functional group on one monomer reacts with the functional group on another monomer to form water or some other molecule.
The functional groups link together by forming a covalent bond of the free electrons made available on the monomers.
The most common type of condensation polymerisation occurs between monomers containing a carboxylic acid group (-COOH) and either an alcohol (-OH) or amine group (-NH2).

Don't forget an example of one in your answer. :)

Last edited:

mitsui

мιтэuι
HSC
does it?? yay! >D finally! a short dot pt. >_>

knew u will haf the answer riviet. =P
(thot u r at lunch but)

cheers

Riviet

HSC
N/A
Glad it helped. :D

Also, if you're summarising the dot points in order, I'd also recommend combining:
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
  • Describe the structure of cellulose and identify it as an example of a condensation polymer found as a major component of biomass
  • Identify that cellulose contains the basic carbon-chain structures needed to build petrochemicals and discuss its potential as a raw material.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
  • Describe the conditions under which fermentation of sugars is promoted
  • Summarise the chemistry of the fermentation process
  • Process information from secondary sources to summarise the processes involved in the industrial production of ethanol from sugar cane

...simply because they are related on the same subject.

mitsui

мιтэuι
HSC
Ohhh ok. thx!

i obviousli havent started lookin at the dot pts yet
*sigh*

cram. =_="

P

pLuvia

Well the reaction a condensation polymer goes through to get there is dehydration, the loss of a water molecule, which is why glucose forms into cellulose because it's water molecules are eliminated :)

Riviet

HSC
N/A
Mine was detailed and concise, about 1 page in my writing, (you remember what my writing was like? :D).

mitsui

мιтэuι
HSC
um yea
big and ugly!! o_O!!
hahaha jks jks

one page??! how can u write one page on fermentation??
like juz the process of it. >.>..

Riviet

HSC
N/A
Here, I may as well show what I wrote for fermentation:

A bit too large I think. :D :rofl:

mitsui

мιтэuι
HSC
this gotta comment:

THANK U!! wahaha

thot u can juz type it up. *ahem*

=]

Riviet

HSC
N/A
It was my pleasure to help. :)
It's so large that it's like copying from a whiteboard! :lol:

Enjoy,

-Riviet

P

pLuvia

You want it any larger hahaha jking. :p

I wrote about 1 1/2 on those dot points that Riviet mentioned :) Detailed as well, you see now Mitsui these are the ones you need 1 page on lol, not the other ones you mentioned

Riviet

HSC
N/A
Hey pLuvia, do you mind posting yours up too? Or is yours similar to mine?

Dreamerish*~

Love Addict - Nakashima
HSC
You can just ramble on about fermentation forever. Likewise for ethanol.

We had a 7-marker on a combination of ethanol, fermentation and esterification in our HSC last year. Sometimes you just have to write down everything you know. My answer took up almost a whole writing booklet.

insert-username

Wandering the Lacuna
HSC
Riviet: Thank God, someone's writing is worse than mine... though "without oxygen" means exactly the same thing as "anaerobic", for future reference. :p

I think I wrote up a good page at least on those combined three dot points. Like Dreamerish said, you can crap on for a long while.

I_F

mitsui

мιтэuι
HSC
jeez ppl. >.>
mine is not even 1 page. o_O!

I_F, dreamerish*~ comments made me a bit nervous now. >.>

u see. i cant bullcrap >D

Dreamerish*~

Love Addict - Nakashima
HSC
mitsui said:
jeez ppl. >.>
mine is not even 1 page. o_O!

I_F, dreamerish*~ comments made me a bit nervous now. >.>

u see. i cant bullcrap >D
It's just the beginning of year 12, Mitsui. By the time your HSC comes you'll be a bullcrapping genius like the rest of us.

I have to admit I did regurgitate textbooks to some extent. When I got bored of real-studying I used to just randomly read Chemistry textbooks over and over again so I can still count it as sort of bludgey-daydreaming-about-crap-while-glancing-over-notes-half-arsed-attempt sort of study. Then I realised during one particular exam that I was writing down a passage from CC, word by word. Scary huh.

beabenn

tambourine man
HSC
Dreamerish*~ said:
You can just ramble on about fermentation forever. Likewise for ethanol.

We had a 7-marker on a combination of ethanol, fermentation and esterification in our HSC last year. Sometimes you just have to write down everything you know. My answer took up almost a whole writing booklet.
lolz...I knew I should have asked for more paper...
For some reason I couldn't balance the esterification reaction so I was forced to write a word equation *so embarrassing

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)