Concurrent Degree (1 Viewer)

mrsajmon23

The Szyja
HSC
Anybody currently undertaking a concurrent degree? Or anyone thinking of undertaking one? What are your thoughts on it, advice etc.

I'm thinking of doing a B Commerce/B Arts concurrent degree.

Discuss.

X

xeuyrawp

Anybody currently undertaking a concurrent degree? Or anyone thinking of undertaking one? What are your thoughts on it, advice etc.

I'm thinking of doing a B Commerce/B Arts concurrent degree.

Discuss.
Yeah I'm doing one... Mine is a long story.

You're doing BCom at the moment, right? I think to maximise on the credit for previous study, you should be at least in second year. There's a person in the undergrad studies section who is basically responsible for concurrent degrees and you need to speak with them. Basically, the people at the front desk are useless as it's such a specific area.

What are you looking to major in with your BA?

mrsajmon23

The Szyja
HSC
Yay! Someone Replied!

yeah i read that u usually begin the process for concurrent degrees in 2nd year, dunno how that really works but still got time to find out.

im majoring in Marketing, but for my BA not really sure, most likely Languages-Polish, German or maybe something like Business Law, don't really know at the moment, just kind of seeing if it would be worth doing a concurrent degree.

thanks for the tips :)

X

xeuyrawp

Yay! Someone Replied!

yeah i read that u usually begin the process for concurrent degrees in 2nd year, dunno how that really works but still got time to find out.

im majoring in Marketing, but for my BA not really sure, most likely Languages-Polish, German or maybe something like Business Law, don't really know at the moment, just kind of seeing if it would be worth doing a concurrent degree.

thanks for the tips :)
Yeah well basically study as much to get the most credit for previous studies - I think they only give you something like 28 credits for previous study, so starting first thing in your second year may not be the best option.

If you're looking to just do Polish or German, consider a Diploma in Languages. If you want to do more, definitely investigate the BA. Remember next year the degrees will have changed a bit (although you should still be able to get a double major in Polish and German, if you did do both at a major level).

*rUsTy*

HSC
They sound good to me. I'm looking at the BA/DipEd course they have for next year. Good way to keep me interested in teaching rather than having to go through the BA first and then finally learn the teaching stuff.

X

xeuyrawp

They sound good to me. I'm looking at the BA/DipEd course they have for next year. Good way to keep me interested in teaching rather than having to go through the BA first and then finally learn the teaching stuff.
That's sort of different to a concurrent degree. A BA DipEd is really a double degree (if you consider Diplomas degrees).

A concurrent degree is where you want to mix two things which ordinarily aren't offered, eg the BCom BA in this case.

*rUsTy*

HSC
Awk, well that's just what they call it, studying concurrently rather than subsequently.

X

xeuyrawp

Awk, well that's just what they call it, studying concurrently rather than subsequently.
Yeah I know, it's confusing.

Basically if you study only one dotpoint from here, you're studying a normal degree (eg BA DipEd, BA(Psych) BBA, etc etc), if you're combining two of them, you're doing a concurrent degree.

mrsajmon23

The Szyja
HSC
Thanks PwarYuex, yeah i will consider the Diplomas aswell, seems like a better option, once i find out what i want to do then ill know for sure which option is best :)

is it possible to do a Dip Ed. after i finish my B comm, beacuse i heard
something that Dip Ed's are going to be phased out or something? Not entirely sure...

X

xeuyrawp

is it possible to do a Dip Ed. after i finish my B comm, beacuse i heard
something that Dip Ed's are going to be phased out or something? Not entirely sure...
MQ can be a bit annoying with DipEds (Asylum will testify...). Basically to cut a long story short, if you're interested in teaching, contact the Education people ASAP.

Just ignore them when they make lame comments about teaching languages - they have a habit of telling people not to do languages, for some unknown reason. As long as you qualify for an Education major, you're fine.

*rUsTy*

HSC
I've heard that from a few people now, that DipEd's were being replaced with Masters of Teaching or something... Trying to find out what the differences are and if a BEd is any better. Maybe they'll change it before next year.

I contacted the Education people directly and explained my complicated situation and they were the ones who suggestes the BA DipEd.

So confusing haha.

X

xeuyrawp

I contacted the Education people directly and explained my complicated situation and they were the ones who suggestes the BA DipEd.

So confusing haha.
Basically, I don't want to put them down. But they're probably suggesting you do a BA as well so you can get an education major that they recognise.

mrsajmon23

The Szyja
HSC
hmmmm....so would it be possible to teach, say, business studies, with a commerce degree +dip ed.?

X

xeuyrawp

Someone sent me a PM, but I can't respond because she has PMs turned off. :-/

Hey there,
I saw your posts in a recent Concurrent Degree thread and was wondering, if there was a 'main' person you go to at the Student Enquiry Centre or if you just asks the Faculties relating to the degrees you want to do concurrently? (Wow long sentence.)

Yea, I got a bit confused since you need Academic Advisors as well as an advisor of your concurrent degree which means i need to find 3 people?

Also the fact I'm actually in my 3rd year of one of my degrees and i'm trying to do two bachelor of sciences majoring in different programs so I really dont know if its allowed =/

Thanks for reading my rambling!
Heya,

You need to speak with Student Enquiries first before you do anything with the faculties. There used to be someone incharge of it, but I can't remember her name... I could try looking it up, but I'm pretty sure they'd redirect you.

Once you've spoken with her, then you talk with the faculties. Yes, you do need a lot of signatures. :p

If you have any other questions, yell out. :)

Rob

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)