concert band (1 Viewer)

trumpet geek

HSC
N/A
what piece are yous playing in concert band?!?! were playing shostakovich symphony no.5 its damn hard but its soooooooo much fun!!!!

chepas

HSC
Omg you actually play something DECENT what one could actually call MUSIC in your concert band? Our concert band is extremely bodgey, and would never actually play any form of art music! Hehe. As 'concert band' suggests we're stuck in the rut of the American Concert Band shit which is just soooooo boring and all the same. At least Shostakovich wouldn't be followed by 'ASCAP', shudder.

We just finished doing 'Mt Hood Portrait', some 2.5 grade thingo from some guy whose name I have now forgotten. And a CD that our school recorded last year we did "Dreams and Fancies" by Timothy Broege. Very booring, but was something that ended up growing on me.

At least we do some fun stuff sometimes. We're doing 'Friend Like Me' and 'Tequila' at the moment (very easy charts - gives you an idea what our band is like! lol). But yeah. :D

trumpet geek

HSC
N/A
yeah our concert band conductor hates those american concert band shit so we always play transcriptions of orchestral pieces. Last year we played the Verdi requiem, Shostakovich festive overture, and this year were playing carl Orff carmina burana, dvorak new world symph etc. You should come join our concert band!! hehe... depends what instrument you play though hehe i think we have plenty of clarinets and flutes but we can never have too many trumpet players!

chepas

HSC
Carmina Burana!!! Another good piece. Do you have the huge choir with it as well? I have to join your band now.. What school?

Are your sections balanced well? Because that doesn't exist with us. 4 tpts, 1 horn, 2 clari, 1.5 flutes, one tenor, 3 alto sax, electric bass and percussion that dribble into rehearsals when they remember or are bribed with something shiny.... it's such a hodge podge it's less like a concert band and more like an 'ensemble'. hehe.

Just had a Marching band concert last month, and it's sort of, brass bandy - a billion trumpets/trombones, lots of tubae and horns etc, and then just woodwinds underneath, the 'parsley' of the band hehe, well flutes/piccolo anyway :D. And usually the concert is normal band repertoire 1st half and the 2nd half is this real mix of whatever, including lots of the American crap of concert bnad stuff - and that is always loooooooooooooovingly over-balanced for those purposes its funny. Well, sort of not, because all sections are augmented so it balances out, but it still sounds funny. This big huge trumpet section, playing a lilting mp passage in a CB piece, tutti, just doesn't make for that dynamic just becuase there's sooo many! :D

But yes, trumpet players shall rule the earth. Blessèd are they, for they shall inherit it...

timyates_87

Hello.
HSC
um scince when has " shostakovich symphony no.5" been written for concert band, as one of my favorite classical pieces i find it very hard to comprehend this being played by a concert band ???

trumpet geek

HSC
N/A
yo chepas come to newtown!!!! our concert band is huge!!! oh were not playing carmina burana with a choir by the way. But yeah our trumpet section is huge we would have about 15 if every one turned up!! and thats like only half the trumpet players at our school.

oh and tim you dont understand our concert band doesnt sound like a concert band - we actualy sound pretty good!!!! not like most other school bands. You should come and hear us play shostakovich 5 were playing it at a thing soon. We played the verdi requiem last year and we sounded amazing - you could almost hear the fulll choir singing. But the trumpet parts are damn hard!!!!!! argh!!

chepas

HSC
Ahhh, Newtown. THAT'S why you have a decent concert band with good music!! :D I never thought of trying to get into Newtown, probably would have been so much better... hey did you know a guy Daryl Taylor? Let's just say I knew him from marching band :p.

Anyone make it to that James Morrison/Notre Dame Concert Band concert at the Opera House a few weeks ago? He did 'Flight of the Bumblebee' on trumpet, and that was sometihng haha! I'd have never thought it possible. But hey, he's a freak :D

trumpet geek

HSC
N/A
oh my god DARYL TAYLOR!!!!! Yes he used to go to our school!!! i hated playing with him cos he plays too loud and only listens to himself when he plays in band. When we did a concert, him and this other guy were fighting over who should play lead trumpet in big band on stage during the middle of a performance and it was really bad!! then he got really angry and walked off the stage. And this one time at school some one gave him a panadol and told him it was ecstacy and he took it and started rolling on the ground pretending to be all high!!! Haha what a classic! Hehe daryl, no one will ever forget daryl!!!

chepas

HSC
HAHAHAHHAHAHAHAA!!! THat sounds like the one I know :D

Lexi

HSC
N/A
Chscb

Well, in our band, (which is seriously lacking in members - a little sad really) we play bits of everything!
A snippet of our repetoire:
  • Tequila
  • La Bamba
  • The Lion King
  • Peer Gynt
  • Shrek
  • Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (my personal fav. because there's a massive baritone sax solo in the middle ^-^)
  • Overtura
  • Basin Street Blues (this jazz thing)
  • Men in Black (*shudders*)
  • Smooth
  • Forrest Gump Suite
  • Jurassic Park
  • Maniac
  • James Bond Theme
  • Peter Gunn
  • Legend From Yao

Just to name a few. Its so sad that this is my last year *Cries* I'll miss the power and responsibility of being a senior!

trumpet geek

HSC
N/A
wow thats maaaaaaaaaaaad LEXI!!! You guys have heaps of stuff in ur repertoire thats good cos we only have a few pieces but theyre really hard ones so yeah. Aparently were gona be playing Arban's Carnival of Venice soon and instead of getting just one person to play the whole solo were gona get different trumpet players to play a variation each!!! Should be exciting!! Ive heard it being played on a tuba once and that sounded FUCKING AWSOME!!!!!!!

JoeysBoy

HSC
Pathetic that I'm posting in a concert band thread, but I couldn't help myself.

My school just performed in the macdonald's performing arts challenge, and sadly didn't make it into the finals, dispite a GREAT performance. We played DeerPath Dances (SO FAST!), Florintiner march (kinda boring), and plenty of dixieland (which our lead trumpet has a ball in... haha) I played f. horn in it.

Trumpet geek, do you goto newtown? as in newington? or am I mistaken? are you a part of the GPS combined school's thingy? I'm in the orgestra... I play Cello in it.

Btw, if seats are available for the concert we're doing on the 4th of september, I suggest you take them up. It'll be well worth the 15 bucks. The violins in one section of a piece go absolutly mitso.

trumpet geek

HSC
N/A
JoeysBoy said:
Pathetic that I'm posting in a concert band thread, but I couldn't help myself.

My school just performed in the macdonald's performing arts challenge, and sadly didn't make it into the finals, dispite a GREAT performance. We played DeerPath Dances (SO FAST!), Florintiner march (kinda boring), and plenty of dixieland (which our lead trumpet has a ball in... haha) I played f. horn in it.

Trumpet geek, do you goto newtown? as in newington? or am I mistaken? are you a part of the GPS combined school's thingy? I'm in the orgestra... I play Cello in it.

Btw, if seats are available for the concert we're doing on the 4th of september, I suggest you take them up. It'll be well worth the 15 bucks. The violins in one section of a piece go absolutly mitso.
ya i go to Newtown NOT NEWINGTON!!!! Oh well not to worry about the Mcdonalds performing arts challenge!! Those adjudicators are stupid they dont know what there on about. (except john morrison). I really dont see how PLC won!! We came 2nd, which is fair enough cos we played a damn hard piece but it wasnt the best performance weve done... but i seriously thought Knox woulda done us - they were heaps good. PLC were really crap - they were boring, with no dynamic contrast, there trumpet section were shocking! They had really ugly, rough, harsh sounds. They played a really easy piece and played it ok and thats about it. ARRRgghh we got criticized for being too loud!! ARGH!! by the way whats that GPS thing

JoeysBoy

HSC
Heh... too bad u lost! Newtown last year kicked our ass in the finals! (We actually made it there lol...) So u shouldn't be too upset. One thing I hate about concert bands (well some) is that a LOT of trumpeters don't really know how to make a good sound. I can totally relate to what u said about making a harsh sound, etc. It's just embarresing when you see that kinda stuff going on.

The GPS concert was staged at newington on the 4th. It was like a big concert, made up of a concert band, stage band, choir, drum ensemble, and of course the orgestra. It was made up of 8 of the 9 schools in GPS thing. They included: TAS (The armidale school), Newington (of course), St Joseph's (which i'm at), sydney boys high, Riverview, Shore, Kings and Scots. Not sure if u've heard of all of em, but they are all pretty big schools.

trumpet geek

HSC
N/A
JoeysBoy said:
Heh... too bad u lost! Newtown last year kicked our ass in the finals! (We actually made it there lol...) So u shouldn't be too upset. One thing I hate about concert bands (well some) is that a LOT of trumpeters don't really know how to make a good sound. I can totally relate to what u said about making a harsh sound, etc. It's just embarresing when you see that kinda stuff going on.

The GPS concert was staged at newington on the 4th. It was like a big concert, made up of a concert band, stage band, choir, drum ensemble, and of course the orgestra. It was made up of 8 of the 9 schools in GPS thing. They included: TAS (The armidale school), Newington (of course), St Joseph's (which i'm at), sydney boys high, Riverview, Shore, Kings and Scots. Not sure if u've heard of all of em, but they are all pretty big schools.
yeah ive haerd of em... theyre all private schools!!! no wonder why were not in it

vicksta

HSC
hehehe going back a few posts but oh well.... daryl used to be in SWE a couple of years back...such a loser!!! and creepy and sleazy too!! The only half decent thing about him is that fact that his little bro is the guy in the sorbent ad who falls asleep on the toilet paper! soooo cute!!!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)