Computer Science (1 Viewer)

Ghost

Lost
HSC
:( so far I have been unable to find any one doing comp science at unsw....come on there must be some ppl out there

Ghost

Lost
HSC
nah i meant ppl starting it this year.....so far i only found 1 with co-op and another doing soem physcology one

J0n

N/A
HSC
I'm doing Comp Sci (with math).

Last edited:

Ghost

Lost
HSC
i guess i will....btw...u doing advanced science in computer science....or comp sci/sci with maths

RCMasterAA

I vant to suck your blood
HSC
I'm 'starting' comp sci this year with my double degree because I just got the offer from UAC. But I've already done one comp sci subject so I'm not that far ahead of you.

Ghost

Lost
HSC
heck...there seems to be more ppl than I thought....I was wondering why I couldn't find the ppl starting comp sci this year...now i guess there are som

J0n

N/A
HSC
Ghost said:
i guess i will....btw...u doing advanced science in computer science....or comp sci/sci with maths
I'm doing Advanced Science.
EDIT: Anyone else doing this program?

Last edited:

frazzle

HSC
hello!

i'm starting computer science this year.

have you enrolled?

Ghost

Lost
HSC
yah i have.....what courses are you doing...

btw...has anyone chosen thier classes yet...if so what did you ppl choose

Last edited:

Ghost

Lost
HSC
yah it does...lol but i meant as in choosing which elective...and also whether ppl chose higher or normal maths and computing

underthesun

N1NJ4
HSC
Choose higher, then if you find it too hard, drop down. It's recommended you experience the higher comp's lecturer. It doesnt get better than that for the rest of the compsci subjects at uni i heard..

frazzle

HSC
hmm I'm also unsure about choosing higher computing/mathematics or not, I did 3U maths, so I'm a bit scared that higher mathematics will be mostly 4U people who are really good at it.

What are the disadvantages of choosing normal computing and mathematics? And what were/are the classes like? which classes have more people?

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
Higher maths/comp has less people of course.

My frined did 4 U maths, and got band 6 in 3/4 U and did Higher maths. Ended up getting 85 in higher maths. So it's not too bad I guess.

underthesun

N1NJ4
HSC
At higher comp, the assignments are harder, you learn at a different pace from the normal computing class. They scale the mark so it doesn't matter which stream you take (higher/lower), the mark you get from both if you spend the same amount of work would be the same.

The upside of 1711 is the lecturer, more interesting assignments. The upside of lower computing is less work, and this means more time for your other subjects.

by the way, 1711 doesn't assume any prior computing knowledge, so you should really just give it a try, since you don't really know how good you are at computing. I didn't do software design at HSC, and I managed to do rather well.

Ghost

Lost
HSC
yah i ended up choosing higher computing but normal maths...cause i didnt do 4U maths at school...but i did end up choosing higher physics and am wondering whether i am gonna get disadvantaged for that

doingHSC

HSC
Ghost said:
yah i ended up choosing higher computing but normal maths...cause i didnt do 4U maths at school...but i did end up choosing higher physics and am wondering whether i am gonna get disadvantaged for that
those are 3 of my subjects also

J0n

N/A
HSC
I chose higher computing - seems quite interesting, and have to chose higher math.

For the elective, I chose electrical engineering (any other comp sci people doing it?). I would of liked instead to do PHYS1601 Computer Applications in Experimental Science 1, but when I tried, it said something like it was full, or wasn't running :( . I also would of liked to take a philosophy course, but the one I wanted clased 1hr each week with higher computing.

I just hope that electrical engineering doesn't involve *too* much work, since I don't think it has much to do with the rest of my subjects.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)