Computer Science: UOW/Syd/NSW? (1 Viewer)

Habib

HSC
Heya guys,

Im probably sure this question has been asked before and its kind of broad, but is there a big different between these 3 universities when it comes to computer science?

I got early entry into UOW, but now that i dont have the stress during the HSC, i might be able to get 85 for Sydney and etc...

But is it worth it? is there a big different between the 3 unis? maybe someone can refer me to another thread if this has already been mentioned.

I would like any advice or information, all appreciated.

Thanks

santaslayer

HSC
I don't think you need to do anything...just sit back, relax and laugh at everyone who didn't mrecieve or didn't know about early entry...UoW is perfectly fine for computer degrees...:uhhuh: :p

ziggyboy

HSC
I'm doing computer science at UOW. CS at UOW has a lot of UNIX in it compared to other unis that do a lot of Java and .NET programming. In our first year you will be *forced* to use Solaris and Linux. You can use other platforms a thome but in uni you have to compile using either g++ or CC. You also have to learn UNIX debugging tools and submit assignments in UNIX. Subjects in your 2nd year will get more challenging and interesting. We have an applied cryptography major called "Digital Systems Security", a networking major called "Distributed Systems" and "Software Development". Overall they have a nice subjects if you want to be a hardcore programmer. You can also choose to enrol in engineering subjects that have assembly language programming, etc.

Having to rank the unis in CompSci I'd have to go for UNSW as my top choice:

1. UNSW
2. UOW
3. BIT-UTS, although it's IT and not CompSci, but their IT is closer to CS than IT (weird)
4. Macquarie- good choice of subjects
5. Sydney- if you want to go here then do computer science and technology, NOT B INFO TECH!!

P.S. Most people do not know the difference between Comp Sci and IT. UNSW and Wollongong does!

memo

ziggyboy said:
5. Sydney- if you want to go here then do computer science and technology, NOT B INFO TECH!!

P.S. Most people do not know the difference between Comp Sci and IT. UNSW and Wollongong does!

Whats wrong with B.IT at Sydney? It is one of the most difficult IT degree to gain entry (97+) and requires a credit average every year to continue. Just by itself probably none of the IT degrees out there teaches you enough or the right content to easily obtain work after graduation. Employers are aware of this and would preference the brighter people over the rest through training. If you are genuinely interested in IT and get the marks do the more difficult IT degree namely B.IT (Syd, UTS) CompSci(adv)

memo

IT at Usyd is identical to CompSci exactly the same subjects. Except you do an extra year (perhaps 3 majors if you can fit).

ziggyboy

HSC
memo said:
IT at Usyd is identical to CompSci exactly the same subjects. Except you do an extra year (perhaps 3 majors if you can fit).
Then there's your problem right there! CompSci != IT !!!!! Go do a real computer science degree.

memo: visit this site: http://www.acm.org/education/

and click "CC 2004 - Overview Volume Draft". That link should be forwarded to all USyd IT staff. You can find more info in the "Curricula Recommendations" link.

Last edited:

McLake

The Perfect Nerd
HSC
I would also like to mention that UNSW considers COMP SCI a degree that is part og the Engineering Faculty (not that that makes much of a difference).

ziggyboy

HSC
McLake said:
I would also like to mention that UNSW considers COMP SCI a degree that is part og the Engineering Faculty (not that that makes much of a difference).
Yes it does, actually. Computer Science is supposed to lean towards engineering and not business as like most 'modern' degrees. It's all in the ACM document. The curricula recommendations of 2001 was a product of ACM and IEEE, with staff members coming from American Ivy League schools like Stanford, Princeton and MIT.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)