Computer Science HSC Plus bonus points (1 Viewer)

hjed

HSC
Hi

I was wondering why HSC Plus bonus points are given towards B Computer Science for Physics, but not for Software Design Development?

flashyGoldFish

HSC
N/A
Physics is a proper subject that helps develop the intellectual capabilities of a person at a much higher standard than SDD which is a much more iffy subject

hjed

HSC
Yes, but isn't HSC Plus for subjects that relate to the course your getting bonus points for?
SDD is much more relevant to computer science.
(BTW I do both, and will probably get band 6s in both, but it just seems a bit weird)

brent012

Webmaster
Webmaster
HSC
I have friends who have asked UNSW staff about this and the reasoning behind it was differences between SDD and tertiary Soft Eng/CS and that it's possible to go well in SDD but not actually know how to program well (or at all really) as the syllabus gives teachers free will for the practical components essentially.

To be honest, in my opinion, it is bullshit because HSC Physics did not prepare me in the slightest for university physics and the two were nothing alike. It's also ironic that UNSW CSE (CS and SE) courses do not have compulsory physics.

Physics is a proper subject that helps develop the intellectual capabilities of a person at a much higher standard than SDD which is a much more iffy subject
HSC Physics is a whole bunch of wafty bullshit you cram on the history of physics for the most part, it's a heavily watered down course which was intentionally done for mass consumption by students regardless of their ability or chosen level of maths.

SDD has a large portion of theory which was becoming obsolete when the course was made and even more so now (agile development is the norm in the industry and the waterfall model is relegated to textbooks). But despite that SDD offers some students a first opportunity to formally learn programming, IF you have a good teacher. It also possibly provides you with 3-4 programming assignments over year 11/12 - programming actual stuff is the best way to learn and it can be very hard to come up with project ideas so the assignments can be great for that.

The algorithm component of the course also made you think and imo helps develop logic and the ability to actually think - you CANT cram for those quesions and either have to have the "knack" or put in practice to be able to tackle the questions effectively. Even though that is just my opinion it is one of the reasons there is a push by some people to make learning programming compulsory for all students.

BabBab007

HSC
Because SDD is, as iterated very "iffy". The reason why Physics has more concrete terms which are more applicable to uni than SDD. The area of electronics is essential, especially in the path of computer engineering that uses ELEC subjects.

Plus in Comp Sci you have some sort of standardisation - everyone learns C to start off with but the HSC SDD can teach you VB, Java etc which is lame.

(I really hate Java)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)