Computer Game Addiction (1 Viewer)

TimeAndTide

Kage Bunshin No Jutsu
HSC
Me. I used to play everyday and not study...but since my parents got rid of all my games...I don't feel like playing anymore. Instead, I hang around here 24/7!

scruffy012

HSC
yeah especailly after the hsc, no all i do is ry and finish morrowind GOTY on the xbox or play NFSUG2 on the pc, ive always played games reather than study

hehe hopfully all the gaming will payoff for the final marks................. i doubt it

scruffy

Phanatical

Happy Lala
HSC
I suspect my brother is a more serious case - he's actually showing the signs of psychological dependency on gaming.

Phanatical

Happy Lala
HSC
I wonder if anybody here has seen any really serious cases of computer game addiction.

Phanatical

Happy Lala
HSC
My brother averages approximately 9 hours a day.

Possibly more, since he plays before he goes to school as well. I've even seen him wake up in the middle of the night to play, before he goes back to sleep.

MedNez

:o>---<
HSC
N/A
Yeah, I used to play games from when I got home to when I went to bed. Kind of got over it. Don't really play games anymore, and if I do, not for very long. Not many games these days that keep my attention span.

Phanatical

Happy Lala
HSC
I think my brother's problem is that the game is always different. Sometimes it's a shooting game like Counterstrike. Sometimes a racing game like Need for Speed. At the moment, it's World of Warcraft (I think). And it's not helped by the fact that he gets these games without anybody else knowing. All of a sudden, there's another game on the computer I haven't seen, yet I don't know how he got it.

MedNez

:o>---<
HSC
N/A
If you're concerned about his addiction - maybe you could try and moderate it ? Go places on weekends, and enforce a Homework-before-games policy on school nights?

Not a good idea to cut his service off - Computer Withdrawal == Not fun!

But in short - maybe moderating it is the best solution, ween him off the addiction.

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
i suggest either an enforced timetable for your brother, with the threat of formatting his harddrive and destroying his CDs, or just tell him that prolonged use of the computer in a sedentary position is linked to an early onset of infertility, heart disease and osteoarthritis.

oh and like masturbation, gaming makes you BLIND. :D

TimeAndTide

Kage Bunshin No Jutsu
HSC
Some guy in Korea played a net game for like 36 hours, stood up and died. Bahwhwhhaha...and you see the other gamers are like "OMG! some guy died! I'll trade you that wizard hat?"

Phanatical

Happy Lala
HSC
Frigid said:
i suggest either an enforced timetable for your brother, with the threat of formatting his harddrive and destroying his CDs, or just tell him that prolonged use of the computer in a sedentary position is linked to an early onset of infertility, heart disease and osteoarthritis.

oh and like masturbation, gaming makes you BLIND. :D
I've Destroyed his computer in the past. I've also put passwords on it, and even tried flashing up health messages on his computer. It don't work, he gets extremely violent (just like the first stages of drug withdrawal), and he has actually injured me several times in this process. Then he'll have a cry, and then find another way to play games. Once all those are exhausted, he'll just sit in front of the television and vegetate. Notice how every single one of these involve a lack of physical activity, and a reluctance to deal with the physical world? My brother knows perfectly well he's an addict, and that his schoolwork is deteriorating, and that he's unhealthy because of the extended periods at a computer without any real physical movement. He just doesn't care.

And yes, gaming Does make you blind. Especially when you're staring at a brightly lit screen, sometimes in a completely dark room for hours and hours. I guess that's why my sight is absolutely perfect, and he's wearing glasses.

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
speak to your parents about it. time to let out the whacking stick.

otherwise, i strongly suggest a visit to your counsellor/psychiatrist/doctor is necessary. this sounds serious.

Phanatical

Happy Lala
HSC
My parents are powerless to do anything. Fact is that the only person who can help my brother is my brother. Well, and me, as soon as I put a password on his computer again. Problem is, he'll destroy mine. Literally, he'll take a hammer, and run it right through my laptop.

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
Phanatical said:
Fact is that the only person who can help my brother is my brother.
can i suggest murdering him would be a solution, albeit a desperate one, to the problem?

he seems helpless, grasped by the power of games.

scruffy012

HSC
Phanatical said:
I wonder if anybody here has seen any really serious cases of computer game addiction.
yeah someone in sydney eariler this year played daiblo 2 at a internet-cafe for 40+ hours straight abnd died of exhaustion anyone else remember that, i was going through old newspapers last week, and it had it in it..... now thats hardcore gaming

scruffy

Suvat

part timer
HSC
N/A
Get him some employment which involves physical activity, he obviously has enough time on his hands. He might buy more games with the money he earns but at least that's a motivation to work...

is a roflcopter
HSC
find out which girl he likes and ask her to tell him off

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)