• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Computer Engineering VS Computer Science VS Software Engineering (1 Viewer)

LandCo

HSC
N/A
So I am currently studying computer engineering. MATH1131,ENG1000 and COMP1917 are all fairly decent except for PHYS1217 as i did not study physics in HS. So I still have an offer for computer science in my UNSW account/UAC offers. Should i switch to computer science? Im scared i would not be able to even reach a 65 wam because of PHYS1217.

HELP!!?!!?!?
I jsut want to be a software programmer/coder.

Whats better software or computer science???

THANKS!

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
You can transfer later to a different program. Though if you were really concerned, maybe you could have done MATH1081 this sem.

Also I have no idea what PHYS1217 is so I can't help you out there.

But with any other course, you should be fine if you put in the effort.

LandCo

HSC
N/A
Sorry its phys1211 hahaa... :\
Math1131 is pretty easy.
Physics is the problem.

Flop21

HSC
So I am currently studying computer engineering. MATH1131,ENG1000 and COMP1917 are all fairly decent except for PHYS1217 as i did not study physics in HS. So I still have an offer for computer science in my UNSW account/UAC offers. Should i switch to computer science? Im scared i would not be able to even reach a 65 wam because of PHYS1217.

HELP!!?!!?!?
I jsut want to be a software programmer/coder.

Whats better software or computer science???

THANKS!
Why did you do computer engineering if you wanted to be a software programmer? Changed your mind?

If that's what you want to do than software engineering or computer science is for you. I've also looked up which one is better out of the two, and it looks like there is no 'better' one. Both allow you to become a software programmer.

UNSW has a really good booklet / pdf that explains what is in both programs including computer engineering:

http://www.cse.unsw.edu.au/opencms/...ds/Engineering-UG_School-of-Computing_WEB.pdf

I have no idea if you can change / transfer though.

@el_manu There's no point in doing something because "there's so many more jobs available" if you don't even like what you're doing. I would argue that there are actually plenty of jobs in computer science / software engineering as well...

bos120

HSC
N/A
do comp sci if you want to have a uni life (still hard)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)