• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

comprehending a religious rites task??? (1 Viewer)

The Cruel Sea

HSC
hi,
i am in the midst of an assessment asking me to compare and contrast the functions and importance of either a rite of pub., rite of pass., etc. within two different religions.
I've chosen to investigate death as a rite of passage within buddhism and hinduism. as expected i've found a lot of information peculiar to various regions in Asia and India so its just a matter of finding the most traditional rituals but this isn't the point of me being here. I'm just unsure as to how i would go about identifying the pre liminal, liminal and post liminal stages of the Death rite. Because quite obviously the dead can't participate actively in the rite and those relatives and family members involved don't necessarily make any sort of transition from one stage to the next. And finally the post liminal stage, i'm confused and i can't see how the individual could by absorbed back into the faith community. Could it be that the various ceremonies post funeral are considered part of the post liminal stage. Further still is this even necessary in regards to the question? the question in itself is very ambiguous, even more so considering we havent even been taught the topic.

Lastly i just need to clarify what the terms function and importance mean in the context of the question. Function does mean the purpose or reason for practice and participation in the rite, right? and Importance is a question of how necessary it is to the clarification of central beliefs of the religion it is part of, right? in this do i include anything about the purpose of religious rites ie. consecration, symbolism, cleansing, initiation, rememberance, repetition etc.

Hmm i feel like i'm very much missing the point of this assessment and i would be so greatful for even the slightest advice.

Daniel

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)