Compostition or performance? (1 Viewer)

trumpet geek

HSC
N/A
perfomance is an advantage, only beacuse the majority of the students do performance, which means that the teachers decide to have performance workshops during music class... and the few composers/musicologists are forced to go to the library or a practice room and work on their own... they get no help from the teachers cos theyre too busy with the performance kids

Phanatical

Happy Lala
HSC
Yeah, but with a good composition lecturer you can do so much better than a performance student - especially if you aren't playing at LMusA level.

slip

HSC
trumpet geek said:
perfomance is an advantage, only beacuse the majority of the students do performance, which means that the teachers decide to have performance workshops during music class... and the few composers/musicologists are forced to go to the library or a practice room and work on their own... they get no help from the teachers cos theyre too busy with the performance kids

if you have a shit teacher this can be an advantage to compostion/musicology.

dannyboy_588

HSC
"Yeah, but with a good composition lecturer you can do so much better than a performance student - especially if you aren't playing at LMusA level"

ummm, grade doesn't matter, as long as you play well...

and in response ot above, it's very true...

Phanatical

Happy Lala
HSC
A 7th grade level pianist just won't find it as easy to achieve good marks as somebody who plays at the LMusA level. I may be biased in saying that Composition is a better alternative, but it's still the better option in my opinion.

moon_styla

[16527th BoS member]
HSC
if ur A.mus or above.. do performance

if not.. do compo.

if ur good at writing fat essays n love researching things.. do musicology lol

the end. :)

erock

HSC
At uni now

Well what do you know, im at uni right now and just finished my first composition lecture, its all pretty interesting and it appears to be a fun course :) Seems pretty layed back here at SCU (Lismore)

I guess though, at the end of the day... no matter how fun a course or somthing may be.. im still tossing up whether or not it will actully give me a chance at getting employment or anything of the sort...

You really gotta add teaching to your degree dont you?

Unless you make a lucky break into the writing for film, or other media circuit :)

cheers

arrested development
HSC
trumpet geek said:

This is not necessarily correct. In my music class I am the only student doing all performance and I have found that I've been the one left on my own, as the rest of the class are working on their compositions with the teacher. My teacher writes musicals so he always encourages students to do musical theatre compositions in particular; and also, he marks the compositions so he tells everyone what the markers do and do not like to see in composition.

dannyboy_588

HSC
it's probably more to do with what the MAJORITY of the class is doing...

and your music teacher sounds strange....

where do you go?

windswept-hevan

HSC
i'd say just do whatever you're most comfortable with. however, if you're comfortable in both areas, which one do you think you can do better at? i'm doing performance by the way.

Phanatical

Happy Lala
HSC
Composition relies far less on how well you feel on performance day. Personally, I think Composition is a lot less subjective, and I think it's easier to get good marks here than in performance. But that's just my opinion.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)