Completely lost motivation (1 Viewer)

the_runic

HSC
So I did my Trials and I handed in my major projects. I thought I'd take a bit of time off just to recoup. I got my Trials marks back and... I wasn't entirely satisfied. Some of them were good, yes.

ANC. HIST.: 81% (okay)
DRAMA: 67% (not happy)
ENG. ADV.: 68% (really not happy with this)
ENG. EXT. 1.: 64% (also not happy)
GEN. MATHS: 58% (my buffer, but still)
HIST. EXT.: 76% (meh)
SEN. SCIENCE: 83% (good, equal 1st in class)

I know two of them are good and one of them's pretty decent, but my Gen. Maths, Drama, and both English subjects... well. I know the main reason I lost so many marks is because I can't write fast enough and so I couldn't put in enough detail. I know I need to fix it, too, but there's only a month until exams so I don't know if I have the time.

I'm supposed to have done some practice essays, too, but I keep having mental blocks and I just can't do them. As with studying in general... I just can't bring myself to care. I've completely lost my motivation for doing the HSC; even the thought of getting a good enough ATAR for UNSW isn't enough. After all this time, and with my marks generally being so consistently disappointing as well as the fact that there's no way I'll get an ATAR above 70, I've pretty much just given up. If studying for the Trials couldn't save me, then why the Hell will it save me for the HSC? What's the point?

I just wish I knew what to do. Maybe I do have a bit of motivation in there, but I just can't work up the energy to care anymore. Any tips?

strawberrye

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
A few words:
I understand that your trial marks may not have been the best, but I have this motto in life, "If you fail, you pick yourself up, dust yourself off and try again". Look at it this way, you still have ONE MORE opportunity to prove how much you can improve between now and HSC, sure one month is not a lot, but THERE IS SOMETHING YOU CAN DO. Set some goals, i.e. get 80% in HSC English exam, or whatever you are aiming, and write essays and get someone to look over them, or find a tutor to help you work through stuff if you are finding it all too overwhelming.

There is life beyond HSC, even if you don't get into your course the simple way, there are other ways to get to where you want to be. Only you can help yourself-remember that goal, remember that you don't want to ever regret you didn't try your very best (it is the attitude you need to take with you to life when you will face many more adversities, much more difficult than the HSC itself), don't let yourself be defeated by your marks, define them instead and make them your best efforts-then whatever the actual mark is, at least you WON'T REGRET YOU COULD HAVE TRIED A LITTLE HARDER.

DOING YOUR VERY BEST IS ALL ANYONE CAN EXPECT OF YOU AND WHAT YOU SHOULD BE HAPPY WITH. Don't compare with other people, don't waste time worrying and just exercise some self-discipline and focus on studying/improving on this home stretch-so close to the finish, yet so so critical-DON'T LOSE HOPE!.

Best wishes for your HSC:)

Martin_SSEDU

HSC
I just wish I knew what to do. Maybe I do have a bit of motivation in there, but I just can't work up the energy to care anymore. Any tips?
You've only got a little longer to go, as strawberrye said just try your best to stay motivated.

Although, if you want to feel better about yourself spend a day or two looking through possible courses that might not need such a high ATAR, it's always good to aim high but to know that you've got a safety net that you'd be okay landing on, it does take away a lot of pressure you may be feeling.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)