completed first draft??? (1 Viewer)

666_blessings

Hi! I'm Alan...
HSC
Well I've got 12 units worth of subjects, so i've got my lifeboat booked. =P
I've had just about the entire english departmetn at my school review my stuff as well as my english tute. Nice to know i've got company. Anybody else want to add weight to the sinking ship?

physician

Some things never change.
HSC
666_blessings said:
Well I've got 12 units worth of subjects, so i've got my lifeboat booked. =P
I've had just about the entire english departmetn at my school review my stuff as well as my english tute. Nice to know i've got company. Anybody else want to add weight to the sinking ship?
my lifeboats larger, i have 13 units....2 which i completed last year

i just read ur profile... i would have been there with u at sefton.. but the phys and chem classes were full.. so i decided to stick to my current school

yeh my teacher has this thing were everyone reads their work and everyone else evaluates it including the teacher and u evaluate everyone elses work... and so u have tonnes of good stuff to put in ur journal and tonnes of good ways to improve ur work.. even though it's only 4 of us doing the course...

by the way i like ur subject combination... 4 unit maths + 4 unit english .... excellent choice....

physician

Some things never change.
HSC
666_blessings said:
I've had it described to me as 'the suicide course'. =P
suicide lol... yeh some may see it that way...

but i mean 4 units of english is different compared to 4 units of maths...

the amount of time i need for 3 units maths is tripple the time i need for all 4 units of english....

HSC
nowitski said:
hi guys
im new here i,ve just completed my 4th draft and still havnt completed i have a word limit of 5000 and havn't finished yet should i conclude or keep writing. your ideas will be appreciated.
Now is the time for drafting/editing. YAY!! Get your teacher to help you with this one, because they are actually allowed to give you real advice that you can use. I remember my teacher just sat down and crossed out all the lines/verses/poems she didn't like. It was great.

The more you can cull, the better the quality of your work. So if you can cut that down to about 2000 words, and write some more, then you're well on your way towards submission. While this might seem cruel, it's necessary.

Keep in mind it's something you're going to be marked on, not just a personal interest piece. So if it's not something that would sound good in an extended reflection statement, then it might be better saved for a non-major-work poem.

rific

HSC
whiterabbit said:
Now is the time for drafting/editing. YAY!! Get your teacher to help you with this one, because they are actually allowed to give you real advice that you can use. I remember my teacher just sat down and crossed out all the lines/verses/poems she didn't like. It was great.

The more you can cull, the better the quality of your work. So if you can cut that down to about 2000 words, and write some more, then you're well on your way towards submission. While this might seem cruel, it's necessary.

Keep in mind it's something you're going to be marked on, not just a personal interest piece. So if it's not something that would sound good in an extended reflection statement, then it might be better saved for a non-major-work poem.
One way of editing your own work is to use Chekhov's system (I'm pretty sure it was him), he suggested that when editing a story, cut the first 3 pages. I've heard that poems are much the same (for most styles anyway), except let it translate down to the first 3 lines...

Just another option for you all, it might improve a couple of your pieces, or it might not, just something to think about.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)