Complete n00b seeks help and advice (1 Viewer)

GRX40
HSC
N/A
Hi there; although my questions are related to Science and Medicine, it's probably better to post it here, as they're also quite general in a way.

Here's the situation. I'm probably going to end up studying Medicine, but I'd absolutely love to be able to make a career in Music. Lately, I've been looking into combined courses, and http://heifer.ucc.usyd.edu.au/ugcourses/FMPro?-db=msr%5fugpg.fp5&-format=%2fugcourses%2fdetails.html&-lay=www&-sortfield=ug%5fuai2005&-sortorder=descend&za%5fa%5fWebSearch=music&a%5fPlacesTypeHECS=Yes&zc%5fShowOnWeb=Yes&a%5fCourseLevel=UG&-recid=32784&-token.1=Local&-token.9=music&-find= seems okay. However, I'm not really sure if I'm interpreting it properly. I get to study both Science and Arts, right? But under Arts, can I study Music Composition (it just lists Music) or is it referring to some sort of generic Music course? Is this combined degree just like squashing two degrees into one? They're not any less qualified degrees in the end, right?

Okay, now for the Science side of it. Medicine would be excellent, but for USyd, Arts/Science is the only one that will let me study Music AND keep my options open. But what kind of jobs/opportunities are offered by Science? Can I choose to just study one area of Science (e.g., Chemical Science, w00t!), or is it all biomedical stuff? I heard that Science is the lowest of all of the medical-type degrees, and that finding a job will be terrible. Is this true? What's the outlook like?

Now refer to this page: http://heifer.ucc.usyd.edu.au/ugcourses/FMPro?-db=msr%5fugpg.fp5&-format=%2fugcourses%2fdetails.html&-lay=www&-sortfield=ug%5fuai2005&-sortorder=descend&za%5fa%5fWebSearch=science&a%5fPlacesTypeHECS=Yes&zc%5fShowOnWeb=Yes&a%5fCourseLevel=UG&-recid=32778&-token.1=Local&-token.9=science&-find= - what does "This course currently has fee-paying vacancies" mean?

Okay, finally (for now!) does anyone know what the requirements are to get into "Bachelor of Combined Science and Arts (including Combined Advanced Science or Advanced Maths)"? BTW, is that the same as Bachelor of Science and Bachelor of Arts or Combined B.Sci/B.Arts? Requirement-wise, do I have to be accepted for both Science and the Arts course (Music composition)? I'm really confused, so if anyone can enlighten me at all on anything, I'll be most grateful. I'm really worried about job opportunities and all that, because my future seems so set out as Medicine, but I really want to do Music Composition as well. Medicine is cool, but I'll regret it for my whole life if I didn't at least try for a career in Music. Thanks for your time!

EDIT: Er, sorry for my ignorance, but how can I get into an Advanced Science course? And that Combined Sci./Arts course I posted above will let me do Advanced Sci./Arts (Music), right?

It'll be hard, since only like 14-18 people are accepted for Music Composition...so, do I need to be accepted for both Science AND Arts? I mean, they wouldn't just let me go into the combined course just because I passed the Science part - I'd have to get into Music too, wouldn't I? Unless it's some random other "basic" Music course. Hmm.

Last edited:

tennille

HSC
With science, you can study almost anything; chemistry, physics, pathology, physiology, anatomy, biology, psychology, etc. And I doubt it'll be hard to find a job with just a science degree. There are many options.

To get into the adv science course, you have to maintain a weighted average mark of 75. This may look easy, but it's much harder to achieve high marks in uni. So when you achieve that (im not sure if they'll let you change at the end of semester), go to the faculty of science and ask about the b sc (adv) transfer. I think you need permission from the Dean first.

Last edited:

GRX40
HSC
N/A
Cool, so when can one enter the advanced course? Is it an additional honours-style thing, or do you become "promoted" to a better class?

Templar

P vs NP
HSC
With a straight science degree, you can transfer between the streams at the end of a semester instead of at end of year. I'm not sure what the protocol for combined or double degree students are, check with the faculty.

Just pick adv units. If you qualify for the requirements of an adv major you will get it. I don't think the dean personally oversees the approval.

GRX40
HSC
N/A
Hmm...thanks for the responses so far. Can one enter an Advanced Science or Talented Students course based on one's result in the HSC, or by making it into a Science Olympiad team?

I'm going to consult my careers advisor soon (hoepuflly he can obtain some information booklets or something), so just before I go, maybe you guys could help me with some "easy" questions so I won't have to bother him too much.

- Does a combined Arts/Science degree mean I can choose sub-branches and do, say, Music/B.Sci (Physics)? If so, I can do Music/Advanced Science, right (supposing my marks are good enough)?

- How can I make it into a Music Composition/Science course? Is that combination even allowed? I'd have to make into into both courses, right? e.g., pass both interviews.

- With the Arts/Science degree, am I supposed to choose a sub-branch of Science? e.g., am I meant to choose Science-Physics or Science-Chemistry, or is the Science course like a general overview of all subgenres?

Thanks once again.

A

adamsaclown

187 said:
Hmm...thanks for the responses so far. Can one enter an Advanced Science or Talented Students course based on one's result in the HSC, or by making it into a Science Olympiad team?
Yes, for the TSP, its all based on HSC performance, and Olympiads help too. As for the Advanced Science course, well, yeah thats HSC too if you're doing a single degree, but I'm not sure about double degrees - I'm doing Science/Commerce and I emailed the faculty, and they said what Templar said, just meet the requirements throughout the course (doing enough Advanced units) and you'll graduate with an 'Advanced Science' degree (/major)

Templar

P vs NP
HSC
187 said:
- Does a combined Arts/Science degree mean I can choose sub-branches and do, say, Music/B.Sci (Physics)? If so, I can do Music/Advanced Science, right (supposing my marks are good enough)?

- How can I make it into a Music Composition/Science course? Is that combination even allowed? I'd have to make into into both courses, right? e.g., pass both interviews.

- With the Arts/Science degree, am I supposed to choose a sub-branch of Science? e.g., am I meant to choose Science-Physics or Science-Chemistry, or is the Science course like a general overview of all subgenres?
You can do Science Adv if your results are good enough. Not sure about music in arts, you need advice from someone who does arts.

There is no interview for science. The only science based course that requires an interview is the combined science med program.

You are suppose to choose at least one area to major in, like physics or chemistry. Refer to science info book on possible majors.

Probably unrelated, but I think USyd is bringing in the combined med arts program. Personally that sounds rather ridiculous, but you might want to check it out (if it is even going to be available).

GRX40
HSC
N/A
Cool, a combined Arts/Medicine course would be awesome, although I doubt it would be introduced in time for me to enter it. Thanks everyone; I think those are all the n00bish questions I can think of right now. I appreciate all of the help.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)